does dish network have more weather related problems than directv?

It is my experience that it isn't the rain the causes loss of signal, it is the clouds themselves. I have had thunderstorms south of my location with no rain at my location and I still lost signal. In the winter, snow on the dish will cause the same problem but it is easily remedied (brush the snow off). I am located in the north east lower Michigan.

Reactions: KAB
It can be rain, clouds, the static electricity from lightning, really anything that could come between the dish antenna and the satellite, and disrupt the signal. The thicker the obstruction is, the more loss there will be. The higher the points on the signal meter, the more it can penetrate.

It is my experience that it isn't the rain the causes loss of signal, it is the clouds themselves. I have had thunderstorms south of my location with no rain at my location and I still lost signal.

You lost me on that one. ;) Isn't your LOS to the south? And couldn't those thunderstorms south of you be producing a torrential downpour?

You lost me on that one. ;) Isn't your LOS to the south? And couldn't those thunderstorms south of you be producing a torrential downpour?

Exactly. I often tell folks that what is happening directly over them (if super sunny) isn't relevant, it's what's happening 5-15 miles south (south-southeast-southwest, depending on the azimuth) of them. A hard rain directly over the customer can cause problems right at the dish, no doubt, but so can weather activity in that 5-15 mile range south. Have to remind customers that the dish is not pointed straight up (yeah, I know...obvious), and mention that problem where the dish is pointing are the problems that matter.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Reactions: TheKrell
Have had both Dish and DirecTV, currently with DirecTV, don't have issues with rain that much, maybe 1-2 times a year here in Albany NY area. When I first got DirecTV it would go out a lot, but idk if the signal got stronger, or what, but it never goes out.

Dish also went out at times. Really it depends on pricing, and equipment, etc... I go for DirecTV for several reasons, ST, SNY, MSG, YES Network, and personal choice I like their customer service better than Dish's.

I have been with dish now for 3 months. It has rained 3 times and I lost my tv service all three times. I lost hd and sd. When I had Directv I would lose hd service maybe 1 once a year and I had never lost any sd programming.

I have been with dish now for 3 months. It has rained 3 times and I lost my tv service all three times. I lost hd and sd. When I had Directv I would lose hd service maybe 1 once a year and I had never lost any sd programming.
Get your dish peaked.

Reactions: Stargazer
It has to be raining hard, like cats and dogs out side in my area to kill my signal or the DISH uplink center has to be going through some big storm to knock it out on my receiver. Lately it has been the latter situation. :oldwink

Those two major storms that took out the Gilbert uplink center... Yea those two storms only knocked out my signal for maybe a combined 3 minutes. A properly peaked dish can see through a lot of crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)