Does Dish still send out 522 receivers?

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
My 522 receiver went bad, and I requested that they send out a new or refurbished 625 to replace it. They said that would cost me $50 more , so they will send out a replacement 522 model.

I was surprised they even have any of that old model . Am I being treated fairly on this??

I want a 625 replacement, but don't think the $50 upgrade fee is fair.

Well, you're getting exactly what you've got now, except it works. And that's exactly what was spelled out when you first got the 522.

I'm still getting refurb'd 721s as they die on me.

That being said, I think Dish should probably offer you a lease on a ViP622 with no upfront fee in exchange for your non working 522. They need to start removing the old non-MPEG-4 receivers sooner or later anyway. Why not make a customer happy at little cost (when you consider the eventual cost of replacing those old receivers).

You may not have a need for the HD function, but maybe in the next two years......

Remember, this is Charlie Ergran running the show. He aint a gonna throw out perfectly good SD DVR's that cost him money to produce. He will hand-out 522's for 522's for as long as it is cost effective. However, it does happen that if they don't have 522's to give you, they will provide a 625 at no additional cost. That's usually how some people get "upgraded" by good luck. You think you have it bad. Consider all the 721 users (myself a former 721 user) who keep getting 721's as replacements. I don't think those poor people will ever see even a 522 as the makegood. Charlie will continue to do mouth to mouth on the sickly 721's and pound on their chest long after it has died so that he can continue to do 721's for 721's RMA'd because it SAVE MONEY. One has to wonder when he will give up on the 721 and give people 522's or 625's.

I'm confused...we just 'upgraded' to a 522 after our 510 crapped out on us. They made it sound like the 522's were the next best thing. We've had nothing but trouble with the upgrade for 6 weeks. But even the 625 they brought over had the same problems...do they have bad software? are the cards bad?

Dish will still send out refurbed 4900 receivers if it's necessary (I've had a couple of these).
With the current software, the only difference between a 522 and a 625 is the model number. You can even reformat your 522's HD to hold 150 hours of programming. A 522 is not a current production receiver, but they do refurb them and they are the same thing as a 625.

Just Got a 522

Just did the old Dish'n it up promo and got a 522 installed yesterday. Thought I would be getting a 625 but wasn't all that sure. Looks new. I do give props to Dish, any refurbished equipment I've gotten from them always looks good. I've seen a few refurbished Xbox 360s and they generally look like they've been put through the ringer. Anyway, the 522 has got to be better then the 510 I had that kept crapping out on me.

Consider all the 721 users (myself a former 721 user) who keep getting 721's as replacements. I don't think those poor people will ever see even a 522 as the makegood. Charlie will continue to do mouth to mouth on the sickly 721's and pound on their chest long after it has died so that he can continue to do 721's for 721's RMA'd because it SAVE MONEY. One has to wonder when he will give up on the 721 and give people 522's or 625's.

I'm very happy with my 721. While it works, it works very well. And it is grandfathered, so I don't have a DVR fee. That's the little feature I like best about it.

I hardly ever use my 508.

I expect when Eastern Arc is opened up to current subs, they will "make me an offer" on upgrading to another ViP. I'll probably do so, ending up with a ViP722 to match my current ViP622, and saying goodbye to the 508 & 721.

At some point, Dish has to stop sending out non-MPEG-4 receivers- at least to new subs. They're only increasing future costs by keeping such receivers in the field. Sooner or later, they'll need to be replaced.

I Believe that VOD was removed on most 522's with a software upgrade, to give all current 522's 150 hours. I talked to a Retail CSR and no more 522's will be sent out for upgrades on new and existing customers. Only replacement refurb 522's are sent out for 522 replacement.

I'm very happy with my 721. While it works, it works very well. And it is grandfathered, so I don't have a DVR fee. That's the little feature I like best about it.

I hardly ever use my 508.

I expect when Eastern Arc is opened up to current subs, they will "make me an offer" on upgrading to another ViP. I'll probably do so, ending up with a ViP722 to match my current ViP622, and saying goodbye to the 508 & 721.

At some point, Dish has to stop sending out non-MPEG-4 receivers- at least to new subs. They're only increasing future costs by keeping such receivers in the field. Sooner or later, they'll need to be replaced.

Things have changed slightly since February: the 612 is the regular HD upgrade, unless you wish to pay a $25 additional fee for the "Enhanced" HD DVR: the 722. Fat cats do get the lowest upgrade fees. I only had to pay $49 for each of the two 722's for my upgrade. Others are going to have to pay from $99-$149 per HD box upgrade. So, count your money and don't get flummoxed when they hit you with the "enhanced" fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)