Does DISH722 support QAM for Comcast local stations?

hraner

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
I'm a bit far from the towers so I can't get all the OTA ATSC broadcast stations. I have Comcast basic analog package and I'm wondering if DISH722 can pick up the QAM(un-encrypted) HD channels?

I saw "Off-the-Air", "Cable", "IRC", "HRC" options in my 722 menu. Does the "Cable" mean QAM? Or DISH receivers can only do OTA ATSC?

Thanks!

No, it does not. The selection is to set the rf out to make it compatible with the wiring to the other tv's from another source (OTA, cable) by combining the rf out to the wiring from the other source. Only Dish HD receiver with QAM is the 811.

Check your HD TV. It might receive QAM. It is illegal for Comcast to encrypt the broadcast HD signals so you might be able to get the locals that way.

It is illegal for Comcast to encrypt the broadcast HD signals so you might be able to get the locals that way.

A lot of people think that but it just isn't true. It all depends on the type of agreement the station has with a cable company. In most markets the local Sinclair HD station are encrypted if they are carried on the cable system. Some systems have been unable to come to aggrements with Sinclair because they want to be paid extra for their HD stations.

A lot of people think that but it just isn't true. It all depends on the type of agreement the station has with a cable company. In most markets the local Sinclair HD station are encrypted if they are carried on the cable system. Some systems have been unable to come to aggrements with Sinclair because they want to be paid extra for their HD stations.

Actually, Comcast was fined by the FCC for encrypting the channels that can be received OTA.

No, it does not. The selection is to set the rf out to make it compatible with the wiring to the other tv's from another source (OTA, cable) by combining the rf out to the wiring from the other source. Only Dish HD receiver with QAM is the 811.

The settings have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the RF out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)