So what happned to Dish beingt he HD leader?

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
Ok I know Dish was out in front with HD for a while, but DirecTV made it clear this year they were coming back strong. so what's up with dish? I know we can't expect tit for tat each day, but it sure seems liek DirecTV is heading out front. With SCi-Fi, USA, and soon FX they are gettingt he channels peopel watch. Voom was nice early on, but most of it is the same old stuff I have been watching for months and way too specialized. I wa with DirecTV from 1995 (yep one of the first 1 million customers) until 2000 and with Dish since. I love the Dish DVRs, but I rarely watch any SD anymore and with DirecTV launching more and more national HD I am wondering if the time to switch back has arrived? Is Charlie getting too distracted with breaking the company in 2?

Ok I know Dish was out in front with HD for a while, but DirecTV made it clear this year they were coming back strong. so what's up with dish? I know we can't expect tit for tat each day, but it sure seems liek DirecTV is heading out front. With SCi-Fi, USA, and soon FX they are gettingt he channels peopel watch. Voom was nice early on, but most of it is the same old stuff I have been watching for months and way too specialized. I wa with DirecTV from 1995 (yep one of the first 1 million customers) until 2000 and with Dish since. I love the Dish DVRs, but I rarely watch any SD anymore and with DirecTV launching more and more national HD I am wondering if the time to switch back has arrived? Is Charlie getting too distracted with breaking the company in 2?
It's a game of leap frog.

more like a game of E* had sat space, used it to add content slowly but surely, D* decided to wait till new Sat was up and make a big splash and add tons of content, leaving E*behind, and now with very limited space until new sats go up,

stupid launch delays. :p

seeeeee
sawwwww
seeeeee
sawwwww

It's going to go back and forth. How long did D* subs wait to get any kind of decent HD selection at all?

Now they have HD.

Now we have E* subs crying about how D* has something they don't have and/or crying about their ball game not being in HD.

"Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances"

For cryin out loud. :)

sheeeeesh (and all that)

"hey doc, it's hurts when I do THIS"
"Don't do that"

If you are an E* subscriber and feel like you're really getting the short end of the stick.... go and be a D* subscriber.

Not saying any of this to be mean and hoping even the disenfranchised E* subs can see the humor, but if you're not happy, do something about it. Something other than pi** and moan.

:D

There's enough of that on both sides of this stupid argument. One would think that with all the new HD available to watch that people would be watching it instead of being here. I guess the novelty wears off fast, huh.

Yeah - what's up with that? It's been a whole week, and Dish has way fewer MORE HD channels than DirecTV. Dish sucks!!

Looks to me like Dish is still the HD leader, you all count strange !

Okay, I just pulled up the guide and here is what I have !

A & E HD
TNT HD
HD THEATRE
HDNET
HDNET MOVIES
ESPN
ESPN2
NFL
UNIVERSAL
NATIONAL GEO
STARZ
HBO
MHD
MAX
SHO-E
HGTV
FOOD
NBA HD
VS-GOLF
RAVE
EQUATOR
GALLERY
TRESR
ANINAMIA
WORLD SPORTS
RUSH
ULTRA
KUNFU
FILMF
MONSTERS
HDNEWS
GAMEP
FAMILY
DISC
TLC
ANIMAL PLANET
SCIENCE HD
HISTORY HD

22 College SPORTS AND MISC NHL
7 HD PPV MOVIE

If you jump in and say the Voom stuff doesn't count, all but TRES and GALLERY have some real decent content, all HD.

This is just what's available today:

Code:
Cable Networks       DirecTV   Dish  
------------------  --------- ------
A&E                    265     9419
Animal Planet          282     9489
Big Ten Network        220     9500
Bravo                  273
Cinemax East           512     9458
Cinemax West           514
CNN                    202
Discovery              278     9487
ESPN                   206     9424
ESPN2                  209     9425
Food Network HD                9462
Golf/Versus HD         604     9468
HBO East               501     9456
HBO West               504
HD Theater              76     9421
HDNet                   79     9422
HDNet Movies            78     9423
HGTV HD                        9461
History                269     9491
MHD                    332     9492
The Movie Channel      544
National Geographic            9429
NFL Network HD         212     9464
Science Channel        284     9490
Sci-Fi                 244
Showtime East          537     9460
Showtime West          540          
Sho Too                538
Smithsonian            267
Starz East             520     9435
Starz West             521    
Starz Comedy           519
Starz Edge             522
Starz Kids & Family    518 
TBS                    247
TLC                    280     9488
TNT                    245     9420
Universal HD            74     9427
USA                    242
Weather Channel        362
Voom-Animania                  9474
Voom-Equator                   9471
Voom-Family Room               9486
Voom-Film Fest                 9480
Voom-Gallery                   9472
Voom-GamePlay                  9485
Voom-HDNews                    9482
Voom-Kung Fu                   9479
Voom-Monsters                  9481
Voom-Rave                      9470
Voom-Rush                      9476
Voom-Treasure                  9477
Voom-Ultra                     9478
Voom-World Cinema              9475
Voom-WorldSport                9473

Sports Subscriptions
------------------
MLB Extra Innings HD   yes       no
NBA League Pass HD     yes      yes
NHL Center Ice HD      yes      yes
NFL Sunday Ticket HD   yes       no

Seems like a lot of hoo-hah over very little. It looks too close to call to me. I only see a couple that D* has over E* that I would care about and I like several of the Voom channels.

OK I think some took me out of context. I was maning the main stream channels. Voom at least to me was mostly a novelty, very specialized channles that are heavy in repeats. And I know I'm in the minority of guys that coudl care less about sports, so I was looking at main stream mass appeal channels. Also I recall Cahrlie saying they will be the HD leader, to me that means staying in front. Don't get me wrong, I like Dish, but with TBS, USA, SciFi, FX and soon Chiller coming to DirecTV just seems eith Dish is going to come out with the big surprise additions or they will be playing catch up for a while.
The one great thing is I'm glad they never merged, does anyone think we woudl have this much HD selection and competition if they had merged?

The one great thing is I'm glad they never merged, does anyone think we woudl have this much HD selection and competition if they had merged?

Sure why not? If they did the main competitor would then be Comcast. They are nothing to sneeze at.

Yes, and we would have had it years sooner. With the 96 Ku transponders at 101, 110, and 119 under one entity we could have had 100 channels of full resolution national HD, HD and SD locals in all 210 DMAs, and international channels all with one small 18" x 20" dish.

more like a game of E* had sat space, used it to add content slowly but surely, D* decided to wait till new Sat was up and make a big splash and add tons of content, leaving E*behind, and now with very limited space until new sats go up,

stupid launch delays. :p

Enough room for 20 or 30 more hd (Digi and Goalibob can confirm) what and when Charlie decides do to with it who knows.

Okay, I am not a big sports fan, except racing, why is it all the D subscribers think Voom is nothing. It's not something I watch 24/7, but ABC/NBC/CBS I don't either. The only thing that we don't watch some is TRES and GALLERY, but some folks probably do. Rush has some good stuff, Rave, Monsters, Kungfu, Equator has some great Worldwide HD. If I want to demo my HDTV to someone, first stop is a couple of Voom channels cause I know there is always HD content on.

Seems like just because you can't get it, it don't count !! Only to you !!

Last edited:
Okay, I am not a big sports fan, except racing, why is it all the D subscribers think Voom is nothing. It's not something I watch 24/7, but ABC/NBC/CBS I don't either. The only think that we don't watch some is TRES and GALLERY, but some folks probably do. Rush has some good stuff, Rave, Monsters, Kungfu, Equator has some great Worldwide HD. If I want to demo my HDTV to someone, first stop is a couple of Voom channels cause I know there is always HD content on.

Seems like just because you can't get it, it don't count !! Only to you !!

Because they know not what they speaketh. One shouts fire and they all follow in unison. Most who are critical of VOOM probably haven't watched a single channel. I hope D* adds VOOM in the future, and it's possible. What will they be saying if that happens? Never say never.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)