So what happned to Dish beingt he HD leader?

OK I think some took me out of context. I was maning the main stream channels. Voom at least to me was mostly a novelty, very specialized channles that are heavy in repeats.

Most Voom channels (Rush, Rave, Ultra) repeat less than Food Network or HDTV HD. Rave is no less specialized than MHD. Golf would be the most specialized HD channel of the bunch. (It would be NFL Network if they actually had much HD content other than replaying games from Fox/ESPN/CBS.)

D* will overtake E* likely for awhile until E* gets another bird online. E* users have been watching dozens of HD channels for many months, while D* and cable users had to wait. If cable gets rid of its analog band and starts moving to switched digital video, things could get interesting very quickly.

D* will overtake E* likely for awhile until E* gets another bird online.

Some folks here in the know say that E* has room to add 20 to 30 more HD channels with moving some things around on their existing satellites, so you may not have to wait too long, unless Charlie doesn't want to pay fo them.

rad,know something your not telling...

Nope, as RandallA said there are some folks that are discussing that issue in the pub and they believe with shuffling some channels around on available transponders E* has room to add a bunch more HD channels without having to wait for a new satellite to get launched.

hey rad is it worth it for me to join the pub thinking about it?

If you enjoy reading the information here or have saved some money based on what you've read here then you should join just to help keep things running, the pub access is just some frosting on the cake.

What is so great about E* HD DVRs? I have D* HR20 and have no complaints. I had the Tivo based HR10 HD DVR before that, so I've got a decent benchmark to compare the HR20 to. I'm interested in a sincere answer as I'm curious.

Granted, when the HR20 first came out, it was very buggy, but it's been very stable for months now.

Regardless of HD channel comparisons, DISH has something Directv doesn't...a great HD DVR! I made the switch to DISH in Feb, and love my 622. Wouldn't go back to Directv until they come up with something as nice.

I couldn't agree more, tomorrow a 722 will be installed on our bedroom LCDHDTV because I really like Dish's DVRs more, and the wife can run then without a giant checklist! I had DTV for over 6 years, but I do enjoy the Dish DVR more.

What is so great about E* HD DVRs? I have D* HR20 and have no complaints. I had the Tivo based HR10 HD DVR before that, so I've got a decent benchmark to compare the HR20 to. I'm interested in a sincere answer as I'm curious.

Granted, when the HR20 first came out, it was very buggy, but it's been very stable for months now.

One of the most significant people often cite is the TV2 function. I have two 622s, supporting a total of 7 TVs, and only have to pay one box fee. E* does charge DVR fee for each DVR though. The reason I can do so is because we rarely watch more than three TVs at any given time.

The other one is the external archiving capability. I believe only E* DVRs now have 30-sec commercial skip.

The 622s are as good as we can expect them to be, features are added constantly, that said, lack of HDs will easily get us to look at D*. I simply don't beleive there is that much on the hardware that can justify staying with a provider with less HDs.

Some folks here in the know say that E* has room to add 20 to 30 more HD channels with moving some things around on their existing satellites, so you may not have to wait too long, unless Charlie doesn't want to pay fo them.
Rad, they probably could, but how badly would PQ suffer if they did. Its the same situation that D* was in for a while.

Regardless of HD channel comparisons, DISH has something Directv doesn't...a great HD DVR! I made the switch to DISH in Feb, and love my 622. Wouldn't go back to Directv until they come up with something as nice.

Absolutely! I have been with dish for a long time (see signature), and I have had two 622's since realease. I have hooked up several friends with 622 installs also. I have installed all the D* stuff and they just aren't as intuative as the 622, as well as the two room outputs which can be very handy ie: one of my 622's feeds my bathroom LCD with RF remote and then component output to the living room w/ optical and 50'HDMI to the theater room to the projector with IR extender. All from 1 reciever.

Recent additions with USB storage and Broadband Link and still adding HD channels keeps me happy.

Also from a installation POV Dish used to suck for install with the 3 RG-6 cables (2 SAT, 1 OTA) for 921's they have implemented the DP Splitter with gets is down to 2 cables with OTA or 1 Cable without (For two tuners!)

Also everyone is all hot to switch because D* has had more HD for what a couple of weeks? E* has had so many more HD channels for so long, if you are that trigger happy then switch :) Personally I like several Voom channels and for demos I go directly to RAVE or MHD now..

My 3 cents.

And don't forget the $200 out of pocket, never to be seen again cost for a D* DVR.

And don't forget the $200 out of pocket, never to be seen again cost for a D* DVR.
Which you may or may not have to pay. I havent paid for any of the equipment that ive gotten from either company. Ever.

I have two TiVo's and have had 3 TiVo before those. I now have a VIP 722 and will say that it puts TiVo to shame. TiVo does not make a HD DVR that works with Dish and the 722 has most of the functions of a TiVo. I am considering selling my Lifetime series 2's on eBay and getting another 722 in the near future. Also, I hooked up a 500GB external hard drive and now have plenty of capacity.

Based ont he mail they send me every month wanting me back, I doubt it, their mail offering i get says FREE equipment with FREE upgrades to HD DVR. As others have said the thing that really keeps me at dish right now is their DVRs. I tried a DirecTV HD DVR 2 or 3 years ago and the OTA sucked, could not get most of my channels. Also with Dish I can record 2 SAT and 1 OTA at same time 9which I do enought to have it matter), DirecTV is 2 records only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts