Does my receiver send a "health report?"

sjvirchow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
My installer said that my receiver sends a sort of "health report" to Dish, and when there's a problem, Dish will call me. Does it do this with the homeplug adapter?

Attachments

• IMG_2957.JPG
    IMG_2957.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 302
MattG, if you're around this afternoon, maybe you can advise me. I have two 722's. I used to have them connected to our phone line, but we got rid of our landline. I'd like to hook them up to my wireless network, but I have a couple of external hard drives, and it is my understanding that the receiver only recognizes one usb at a time. How can I keep my receiver connected and still use the external hard drive when I want it. I don't want to run a 50 ft. ethernet cable from my router. Any advice would be appreciated.

MattG, if you're around this afternoon, maybe you can advise me. I have two 722's. I used to have them connected to our phone line, but we got rid of our landline. I'd like to hook them up to my wireless network, but I have a couple of external hard drives, and it is my understanding that the receiver only recognizes one usb at a time. How can I keep my receiver connected and still use the external hard drive when I want it. I don't want to run a 50 ft. ethernet cable from my router. Any advice would be appreciated.
Get a home plug & connect your router to it, your 722's have them built in and you should be set...

Normally it updates about once a week. PM your account number/phone number and I'll see if I can show you a screen shot.

do we need or can we get on for the 922? any mews on when the sling extender will be out and how much ?cant wait to get it to see tv in hd also :) thanks matt for any help and reply :)

Last edited:
The new compact fluorescent light bulbs that are replacing the old incandescent light bulbs apparently put out a lot of "hash" on power lines and disrupt powerline network adapters. In a year or two, the cfl bulbs are all that will be sold. We too are phasing out our land-line phone and the router is really far away from my VIP722K. This is a problem for us too...

The CFL's are about all I have in my house and saving about $30/month and I'm not seeing any trouble with my 211K's power line connection. It wouldn't run plugged into a power surge strip but now it's fine.

Get a home plug & connect your router to it, your 722's have them built in and you should be set...

dfergie has some sound advice regarding connecting your receiver. I'm trying to find an account with a DVR failure and bad STBhealth reports. I haven't heard anything about the sling extender.

The new compact fluorescent light bulbs that are replacing the old incandescent light bulbs apparently put out a lot of "hash" on power lines and disrupt powerline network adapters. In a year or two, the cfl bulbs are all that will be sold. We too are phasing out our land-line phone and the router is really far away from my VIP722K. This is a problem for us too...

...And that's why I've been stocking up on "normal" bulbs! Between the powerline interference, and that lovely "I feel like I'm in the HOSPITAL" glow those things put out, they'll never be in this house!

I have had CFLs in my house for several years now. You do need to buy the right ones. The "bright effects" are garbage. I go with Sylvania for all of mine.

As far as the Ethernet connectivity, you should ideally have local Ethernet at each TV.

I like using a dd-wrt router, but you have to know how to set it up.

You could go with something like this:
Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter: Electronics

with a local hub for more ports:
Newegg.com - D-Link DES-1105 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch 5 x RJ45 2K MAC Address Table 64KB Buffer Memory

Its really the best way to go and your devices have no idea that its wireless. I've had an old wrt54g router setup as a bridge ( backwards from regular wireless ) for a couple of years now and it has never missed a beat.

Yes it does. It sends us the overall health of the receiver along with some other general info (like remote settings, modulator setup, signal).

Matt, do we need or can we get on for the 922? any mews on when the sling extender will be out and how much ?cant wait to get it to see tv in hd also thanks matt for any help and reply

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)