Does rain effect OTA antenna reception?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lsh1885

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I have had voom about a month now. At least so far I am pleased with the service. The OTA antenna works well most of the time, but becomes unstable (loss of signal, picture freezes) during rain storms and I have noticed that up to 2 or 3 days after a heavy rain I keep losing the signal on some channels. Is this normal or should I put in a request for a service call.

lsh1885 said:
I have had voom about a month now. At least so far I am pleased with the service. The OTA antenna works well most of the time, but becomes unstable (loss of signal, picture freezes) during rain storms and I have noticed that up to 2 or 3 days after a heavy rain I keep losing the signal on some channels. Is this normal or should I put in a request for a service call.

Rain Fade is associated with Satellite Reception. OTA transmittion does suffer when weather condition changes. Depending on how far you are from OTA stations, trees or building blocking your reception path, and direction of OTA antenna, all of this may affect your OTA reception. Do you currently have Stealth Antennna? You Antenna might have moved also so check the direction as well.

of course it does. Call one of the local station engineers and they will give you a lecture on upper tropospheric events, rain, leaves, wet leaves etc. But the good news is its back after the storm, a lot like satellite itself. Whereas if you have cable and it goes out? an hour out of service? a day? two?

heres an explaination on ducting http://www.angelfire.com/sc/scannerpost/tropo.html

Yes, I do have the Stealth antenna that Voom supplies and it was installed with the Diplexer. The fact that reception suffers some during the storm is about what I would have figured, but the fact that it would be that way, so long after the storm had passed was the basic thrust of my question. Thanks!

We found that the Stealth antenna moved just enough...

during wind and rain to move it out of alignment with 3 OTAs. Moving it back solved the problem. However, this doesn't explain your problem for several days and then solving itself unless you had more wind and the antenna was moved back. Check with your local installer or Joe Harkins at Installs, Inc. if they can't resolve your problem.

Not watching HDTV as we have sunny! Seattle skies, Gill

lsh1885 said:
Yes, I do have the Stealth antenna that Voom supplies and it was installed with the Diplexer. The fact that reception suffers some during the storm is about what I would have figured, but the fact that it would be that way, so long after the storm had passed was the basic thrust of my question. Thanks!

You might want to either replace the diplexer or get rid of it. It's been found that the diplexer that VOOM uses decreases the OTA signal.

It apparently had been moved by the wind or something. After adjusting it it seems in be working OK now and I am receiving all locals (just enjoyed watching the hockey game on ABC). These installers don't want to hear about the diplexers, I guess it is more work for them so they are quick to change the subject. However, if I have problems again that will be my next move. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts