Does shaw direct older HD receivers still work?

pablovi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Mexico city
Hi, I canceled my subscription to Shaw Direct about 6 months ago, I moved...

And I was wondering if the old 505 HD receiver still works? and for how long? Are they gonna change to MPEG4? Are they changing satellites?

I want to know if it's worth to renew my subscription or not?

Also, What would it take to connect a new PVR HD receiver?

I have 2 dishes( 90cm and 1.8mts), one for SD and one for HD, I don't remember the satellite names... Both with single LNB's and a 2x1 switch connecting both, and then from there to the receiver... So If I want a PVR HD, what would I need, Dual LNB's and which switch?

Thanks in advanced

Just Trying to Help Out...

Hi, I canceled my subscription to Shaw Direct about 6 months ago, I moved...

And I was wondering if the old 505 HD receiver still works? and for how long? Are they gonna change to MPEG4? Are they changing satellites?

I want to know if it's worth to renew my subscription or not?

Also, What would it take to connect a new PVR HD receiver?

I have 2 dishes( 90cm and 1.8mts), one for SD and one for HD, I don't remember the satellite names... Both with single LNB's and a 2x1 switch connecting both, and then from there to the receiver... So If I want a PVR HD, what would I need, Dual LNB's and which switch?

Thanks in advanced

The Sat Names are not really relevant. Most just use F1R and F2 (for Anik F1R & AnikF2). The 505 still works just fine. The new generation of receivers (6xxs) are really for when the new Bird goes operational next year, and it will use Mpeg4 for new channels but the existing ones on F1R & F2 will still work.

The new Bird, Anik G1, is expected to have a 15 year mission life located at 107.3 degrees west longitude. In order to make use of the the new satellite in space, Shaw has recently been installing a new 60 cm triple look xku LNBF (on the same 60e satellite dish) capable of supporting signals from Anik G1. Only the 6xx generation of receivers will work with G1 / xku LNB.

As for your LNBs you need two dual output linear LNBs and a 2 x 2 22khz switch. But I'd use a a 4X8 22 khz Multiswitch instead as they are cheap and easily available.

I read that on August 22, Shaw added some local channels on MPEG4, some in French but nothing out of the ordinary
I don´t have a 6XX so I have not been able to confirm that,

Shaw Direct adds thirteen channels to its line-up to comply with CRTC ruling : Hugh Thompson's Digital Home

And I understand that they are not planning on converting current channels to MPEG4, until the G1 is up

Shaw Direct adds thirteen channels to its line-up to comply with CRTC ruling : Hugh Thompson's Digital Home

Unfortunately, it looks like G1´s footprint will not cover our neck of the woods....

Looks like Nfl Sunday ticket is MPEG 4

Ok. i just noticed that i am not seeing the nfl channels today. I looked at the promo channel and it says to upgrade the receiver to an mpge4 compatible receiver for nfl sunday ticket.

Does this mean that moved nfl channels to G1 or are they converting to mpeg4 on the existing bird. Does this mean the end to shaw in the future in northern California when they move to the g1 bird? If i have to upgrade the receiver i want to limit how much i want to spend if us California subscriber are going to be left in the dark in the near future.

Mark

Thank you everyone!

It seems that the days of Shaw Direct are over here in Mexico.

After reading this, I don't think I will renew my subscription.
NFL Sunday ticket was not that great with them anyway, I'm getting all games in HD here in Mexico at the same price.

The only thing I will miss are the US Networks. Will need to do some research on how to get them here.

Thanks again!

well it appears they will not let you even subscribe to Sunday ticket without a new receiver. I hope we will continue to get the new bird as i just shelled out $250 for a new advanced hd receiver. I needed the component out

The Sat Names are not really relevant. Most just use F1R and F2 (for Anik F1R & AnikF2). The 505 still works just fine. The new generation of receivers (6xxs) are really for when the new Bird goes operational next year, and it will use Mpeg4 for new channels but the existing ones on F1R & F2 will still work.

The new Bird, Anik G1, is expected to have a 15 year mission life located at 107.3 degrees west longitude. In order to make use of the the new satellite in space, Shaw has recently been installing a new 60 cm triple look xku LNBF (on the same 60e satellite dish) capable of supporting signals from Anik G1. Only the 6xx generation of receivers will work with G1 / xku LNB.

As for your LNBs you need two dual output linear LNBs and a 2 x 2 22khz switch. But I'd use a a 4X8 22 khz Multiswitch instead as they are cheap and easily available.
I think that I am a little confused here. Perhaps I read it wrong but it appears that pablovi originally had a stacked system with 2 single flashlight LNB's- dishes run into a 2 x 2 22khz switch.

If he upgrades to the new xku LNB can he still use 2 separate dishes? If yes how would you connect 2 triple look xku LNB's (2 separate dishes) to your system?

I also was not aware that you could not mix and match SD and HD receivers if you installed the new triple look xku LNB. Why wouldn't the SD receivers work with the remaining SD channels?

Thanks

Steve

I think that I am a little confused here. Perhaps I read it wrong but it appears that pablovi originally had a stacked system with 2 single flashlight LNB's- dishes run into a 2 x 2 22khz switch.

If he upgrades to the new xku LNB can he still use 2 separate dishes? If yes how would you connect 2 triple look xku LNB's (2 separate dishes) to your system?

I also was not aware that you could not mix and match SD and HD receivers if you installed the new triple look xku LNB. Why wouldn't the SD receivers work with the remaining SD channels?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

First of all you can't put a triple Xku LNB onto a non-elyptical dish and sucessfully catch these birds. He needs to go to two dual output linear LNBs and a 2 x 2 22khz switch. (But as I said before, I'd use a a 4X8 22 khz Multiswitch - there like $15 on ebay.)

I have heard there are issues with the new 600 Reciever's initial mapping with the Xku (I actually saw this when a "Pro" installer spent 6 hours getting 3 of these to work on a new local install.) Sometimes even a new Box won't work with the new LNB. :eek:

As for mixing an SD & HD reciever - I know using non-Xku LNBs - there is no issue. I haven't worked on a system with an Xku LNB and both SD & HD recievers to see if there is an issue. Sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts