Does Sony Manufacture DirecTV Equipment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDVoomer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Just was wondering if Sony makes DirecTV equipment anymore? Haven't really seen any STB's in stores. Unless I've just missed them, I haven't seen them. If they do any chance they'll be manufacturing the new MPEG 4 STB's?

Sorry to say, Sony is out of the DIRECTV STB business. Actually the best Sony DIRECTV receivers were made by LG, not Sony.

DIRECTV is the only brand we will ever see on all DIRECTV receivers. DIRECTV contracts, Tompson, Philips, LG and Humax to build all of their receivers.

-Robert

Robert, so when you buy a DirecTV receiver or system, it just has the DirecTV logo on it with no company attached to it? Actually if this is true, I kind of like it, since everyone will be getting the same system. Similar to what DISH and Voom does. This would seem to make it less confusing for consumers when buying satellite systems.
Any chance Sony would re-enter the DBS business?

It kills innovation and competition and can cause hardware prices to go up since they now have the market cornered. This is NOT a good thing IMHO.

Wish Sony (really LG) would come back. They made the best receivers even seen on the U.S market. You still can't top the HD300. Best receiver of all time.

mini1 said:
Wish Sony (really LG) would come back. They made the best receivers even seen on the U.S market. You still can't top the HD300. Best receiver of all time.

We agree 100%. The LG LSS-3200A is basically the same as the Sony HD 300. In fact, LG made the DIRECTV HD Sony boxes.

We still have a few LG HD-SAT 520s and LSS-3200As. I very highly recommend these receivers. We purchased all of LG's refurbished HD receivers.

-Robert

"We agree 100%"
Yet again! Nice to see someone around here who really knows their stuff, and on top of that has a great company!
P.S- I'm enjoying my new silver sensor that I bought from you! It was cheaper then ebay! you should sell them on ebay, why don't you?

mini1 said:
"We agree 100%"
Yet again! Nice to see someone around here who really knows their stuff, and on top of that has a great company!
P.S- I'm enjoying my new silver sensor that I bought from you! It was cheaper then ebay! you should sell them on ebay, why don't you?
eBay is a excellent idea for my products and company, but, my life is so busy, sometimes I actually forget to breath.

-Robert

mini1 said:

I have to disagree, personally I liked Hughes receivers the best, I really miss the Turbo Tune function.

IMO Hughes made the best SD receivers and LG made the best HD STBs.

Hughes also invented the E86 in 1998, which came out a few weeks after the RCA DTC100. Hughes also developed the world's first HD DVR, the HR10-250.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
We agree 100%. The LG LSS-3200A is basically the same as the Sony HD 300. In fact, LG made the DIRECTV HD Sony boxes.

We still have a few LG HD-SAT 520s and LSS-3200As. I very highly recommend these receivers. We purchased all of LG's refurbished HD receivers.

-Robert

Do you have any of those refurbished units for sale?

charper1 said:
It kills innovation and competition and can cause hardware prices to go up since they now have the market cornered. This is NOT a good thing IMHO.

There will always be innovation, it just may be a bit more controlled in this environment. Or, it may come from a completely different source.

I do agree that having the market cornered is not good unless you are only doing it to control quality!! I am assuming that has to be the reason... :D

Please don't assume that, because I highly doubt that quality was the real reason; although it may be the "published". They eliminated the highest rated boxes out there yet kept the manufactures of the lowest rated. I will refuse any new DirecTV branded item they offer that was manufactured by Samsung or Thomson, however I am willing to try Humax box due to their continued stellar reputation, but DirecTV seriously needs to dump Thomson and allow LG back into the game.

charper1 said:
Please don't assume that, because I highly doubt that quality was the real reason; although it may be the "published". They eliminated the highest rated boxes out there yet kept the manufactures of the lowest rated. I will refuse any new DirecTV branded item they offer that was manufactured by Samsung or Thomson, however I am willing to try Humax box due to their continued stellar reputation, but DirecTV seriously needs to dump Thomson and allow LG back into the game.

I guess the smiley face didn't emphasize my sarcasm enough.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts