Does the 222K have the software

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
to allow the use of the external hard drive? If so I would like to get rid of the 722 in my bedroom. Does the 222K also have the ATSC tuner?

No, the 222/222k does not have software to turn it into a DVR or use an EHD in any way. IMO, it's unlikely that this will ever be an option, due to the throughput limitations of the USB interface. The 211s are okay with a single tuner, but recording dual tuners while watching a third likely wouldn't work via USB.

Besides, why would Dish enable it when the 622/722 exists? They don't make a single-tuner DVR, so the 211 made some sense, but I don't see any need for a 222 DVR.

I thought the 222 was supposed to get the software for the external hard drive. It was on this board somewhere, stating that it was supposed to happen some time this year. Has anyone heard anymore on the subject?

211/411 has two tuners, 1 sat and 1 OTA, but only one output.
222 has three tuners, 2 sat and one OTA, and two outputs.
612 has three tuners, 2 sat and one OTA, but only one output.
722/722 has three tuners, 2 sat and one OTA, and two outputs.
722k has 4 tuners, 2 sat, 2 OTA and two outputs.
922 supposed to have 4 tuners, 2 sat, 2 OTA and three outputs, one of which is sling.

I thought the 222 was supposed to get the software for the external hard drive. It was on this board somewhere, stating that it was supposed to happen some time this year. Has anyone heard anymore on the subject?

My installer told me the same thing a couple months ago, not that Dish has a history of keeping their installers well informed on things like this.

211/411 has two tuners, 1 sat and 1 OTA, but only one output.
222 has three tuners, 2 sat and one OTA, and two outputs.
612 has three tuners, 2 sat and one OTA, but only one output.
722/722 has three tuners, 2 sat and one OTA, and two outputs.
722k has 4 tuners, 2 sat, 2 OTA and two outputs.
922 supposed to have 4 tuners, 2 sat, 2 OTA and three outputs, one of which is sling.

222k has FOUR tuners with the OTA module, because it's like a 722k without DVR.

i call bs, i waited and waited for the software it never came, i gave up and got 722k instead

I highly doubt vip 222/222k has ehd supported software yet.

I set up an EHD for my parents 211 2 weeks ago and it worked perfect so it already has the software. They live 6 states away or I would post a screen shot.

I set up an EHD for my parents 211 2 weeks ago and it worked perfect so it already has the software. They live 6 states away or I would post a screen shot.
No need. We all know that the 211 can do it; the thread is about the 222 which still cannot despite one chap who says it can. (Actually he said you can "attach an EHD", which may be literally true, but that's not the same as using it!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)