Does the 222K have the software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No, the 222/222k does not have software to turn it into a DVR or use an EHD in any way. IMO, it's unlikely that this will ever be an option, due to the throughput limitations of the USB interface. The 211s are okay with a single tuner, but recording dual tuners while watching a third likely wouldn't work via USB.

Besides, why would Dish enable it when the 622/722 exists? They don't make a single-tuner DVR, so the 211 made some sense, but I don't see any need for a 222 DVR.

I personally do believe that Dish will enable the 222's and 222K's for EHD, as they have always said the 211's would be first. I think the software for the dual tuner HD STB's are not top priority.

However, I do agree with you completely about the throughput limitations of USB for a dual tuner product. Now, if it were eSATA, that would work well. So, I am wondering that when:) the 222's and K's are EHD enabled, just what limitations there would be compared to the internal drive models. Yes, the USB is giving me nightmares about what the 222 and K's won't do, thereby providing an inferior experience to the internal HDD models. We shall see. BTW, I guess Dish cheaped out by not going eSATA or did they feel that eSATA drives would be too "techy" for us simple Dish users. They do emphasize EASE OF USE. The cost of many eSATA drives today are about the same as many external USB drives, especially if you shop around.

IMO, it's unlikely that this will ever be an option, due to the throughput limitations of the USB interface.

I'm at a loss. I know there's a huge difference between theoretical and operational bandwidth, but USB 2.0 is supposed to allow up to 480Mb/sec, and full bandwidth ATSC maxes out at a little over 19Mb/sec. Dish HD is typically far below that throughput, but let's just stick with that number anyway. So we're left with ( 480 / 19.39 = ) 25.75 concurrent HD IO streams per USB host. Two sat tuners (input) plus two OTA tuners (input) plus two TVs (output) = 6 concurrent HD IO streams, or 116.34 Mb/sec total throughput, which is less than 25% of the USB 2.0 spec.

In August of 2008, Tom's Hardware compared a Toshiba 320GB external disk with a Buffalo 500GB disk, both 2.5" disks with USB 2.0 interfaces. The Buffalo did 33MB/sec and the Toshiba trudged along at 27MB/sec -- both units operated at about half of the USB spec, and about double what a maxed-out 222K could possibly need. Tom's reviewer also notes that almost all 2.5" internal disks operate at over 60MB/sec these days.

So where's the bottleneck?

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ATSC Standards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Results: Read/Write Throughput - Review Tom's Hardware : Convenience Storage By Buffalo And Toshiba

Last edited:
vip222k tivo can't change channels

new dish customer I have a vip222k and a tivo series 2

placed ir emitters...won't change receiver channels w/tivo remote ...dish and tivo tech support are at war and no help. sales told me it would work...I think this might be an easy fix but need help....thanks.

placed ir emitters...won't change receiver channels w/tivo remote ...dish and tivo tech support are at war and no help.
What our pidgin English typing friend was trying to offer was that you need to make sure you're trying to control TV1 instead of TV2. TV2 is RF only and can't be controlled by a TiVo... yet.

He's also offering that if you want a quick answer to your question, you had better start a new thread because hijacking this one will get you nowhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)