Does the ViP622 include an HDMI cable?

7thton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
I'm getting a ViP622 installed soon and am wondering if a HDMI cable will be included with it. Anyone happen to know?

Sorry no it does not include the HDMI or component. Only composite and S-video. So you will want to pick one up for your 622 install. Most installers will not carry those cables to sell you.

Shawn

Component would be better than composite, right?

Sorry no it does not include the HDMI or component. Only composite and S-video. So you will want to pick one up for your 622 install. Most installers will not carry those cables to sell you.

Shawn

Connect both HDMI and component then see for yourself which is better in your particular set-up. You will likely see a difference. Which is better can be quite subjective. I find the digital connection (HDMI) sharper and the analog (component) "warmer" with more color depth. It also varies with program content. Compare also to the composite/S-video connections for a real hoot!

You might want to keep component connections intact even if you go with HDMI as your preference, so you'll "be prepared" if/when the HDMI output goes dead, as has happened for many including myself.

IMHO, the "HD" installation is not complete unless the installer connects at least the component outputs, and that would require him to have those cables with him. Anything less is not HD and thus should fail as a complete installation! I would have at least component cables available at the time of installation. Don't offer them unless it's clear that the installer won't provide a set. You can get component cables fairly inexpensively from several sources including Wal*Mart. Don't spring big bucks for them, expecially not for the HDMI cable. Both types are available on-line for as little as $10 each set, maybe even less. Don't forget that with component connections you will also need L+R audio connections. If you have a separate audio system you will also need the Toslink (optical) cable for the digital audio. Check the monoprice link Poke provided. There are many others...

I hooked up the HDMI/DVI and the S-video.
Since I have a 4:3 tv, I use the HDMI output when watching HD content, and switch to S-Video for SD......cause the stupid (hdmi) output is always on letter box regardless of the settings

My 2 ViP 211's both came with component video cables along with the others mentioned here. The 622 does not??

I use HDMI for both receivers and they work great. HDMI cables did not come with the receivers.

Thanks, that was very helpfull. I have read about people having trouble with the HDMI outputs on their 622s, so I thought I would just go with the components. Perhaps I'll buy both if they are not too expensive at Wal-Mart.

Connect both HDMI and component then see for yourself which is better in your particular set-up. You will likely see a difference. Which is better can be quite subjective. I find the digital connection (HDMI) sharper and the analog (component) "warmer" with more color depth. It also varies with program content. Compare also to the composite/S-video connections for a real hoot!

You might want to keep component connections intact even if you go with HDMI as your preference, so you'll "be prepared" if/when the HDMI output goes dead, as has happened for many including myself.

IMHO, the "HD" installation is not complete unless the installer connects at least the component outputs, and that would require him to have those cables with him. Anything less is not HD and thus should fail as a complete installation! I would have at least component cables available at the time of installation. Don't offer them unless it's clear that the installer won't provide a set. You can get component cables fairly inexpensively from several sources including Wal*Mart. Don't spring big bucks for them, expecially not for the HDMI cable. Both types are available on-line for as little as $10 each set, maybe even less. Don't forget that with component connections you will also need L+R audio connections. If you have a separate audio system you will also need the Toslink (optical) cable for the digital audio. Check the monoprice link Poke provided. There are many others...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)