Does this approach make any sense

Status
Please reply by conversation.

litig8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Southlake, Texas
I am researching my Home theater solution. At this point, I am not interested in subscribing to HD content. However, I do want to capture HD OTA. DVR and NFL Sunday ticket are also must haves.

I am considering the following: Purchase a tv with a built in tuner, purchase an antenna to capture HD OTA. Subscribe to Directv w/ Tivo (not the HD Tivo).

By doing this, will I be able to capture free HD broadcast over local channels. I read something about Directv not broadcasting local channels in digital format. I am not sure I understand what these means in relation to my proposed approach.

Can anyone help shed light on whether what I am considering is a sensible approach, or if I am short-changing myself in some way that I am not aware. Once again, I have no interest in subscribing to HD content over sateliite, so I am trying to use this as a way to cut some of my overall costs.

Thanks.

DIRECTV broadcast local channels in many cities throughout the US. Where do you live?

What type of HDTV are you interested in, DLP, LCD, Plasma CRT? Some have better ATSC tuners than others.

-Robert

Dallas area. I am strongly considering a plasma due to the fact that the location of the tv in my viewing area will be off in a corner of the room without any real ability to turn the tv. The Plasma gives me the best viewing angles and clearest picture quality.

When I heard that directv does not broadcast local channels in digital format, I became concerned that I would have a problem getting hd OTA. My understanding is that I when I want to watch CBS in HD, I will need to switch inputs from Satellite to Aerial. Otherwise, the local channel that I get through directv will be an analog signal.

Maybe I am way off base on this, and completely confused. That's what I am trying to research before I decide on my configuration.

A wall mounted plasma mounted with a articulating arm wall mount may be helpful in your application. Please check out the SatelliteGuys plasma forum.

You might want to consider just using DIRECTV exclusively as your multi-channel provider. Currently, Dallas enjoys the following HD local networks channels CBS (KTVT), NBC (KXAS) and FOX (KDFW) from DIRECTV through your DIRECTV dish. DIRECTV will be adding more of your local HD channels later this summer through your DIRECTV dish.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
You might want to consider just using DIRECTV exclusively as your multi-channel provider.
-Robert

When you say that . . . does this mean that I will have no problem grabbing cbs, nbc etc. OTA using an HDTV with a built in tuner + an OTA Antenna. Again, I am not interested in subscribing to HD content through directv at this point. The things I care about (sports and primetime tv) are mostly available OTA. I couldn't care less about discovery channel in HD etc...

If you subscribe to DIRECTV local channel service, for $3./mo. you will get the 3 networks in HD at no additional charge, so you will not need a OTA antenna. The only Network channel you will be missing is ABC, which should be available later this summer along with your independent and PBS locals.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
If you subscribe to DIRECTV local channel service, for $3./mo. you will get the 3 networks in HD at no additional charge, so you will not need a OTA antenna.

Ahhhh. Now I think I am starting to get it. My confusion stems from the fact that I was recently told that the local channels I would get through directv would be in standard def NOT HD. I was told that in order to get them in HD, I would need the OTA Antenna and would have switch over to the aerial input (assuming I had a built in tuner in my TV).

Let me recap to make sure I understand. I will subscribe to directv w/ tivo as originally planned w/ local channels. I am thinking total choice plus w/ locals. This service, along with my HDTV w/ a built in tuner is enough to obtain HD programming for the network channels. No need to invest in an OTA antenna. I will not be able to get ABC, independants, or PBS in HD until directv decides to make them available (hopefully later this year). I am assuming that I still get these channels in standard def . . . just not HD (my 4 and 6 year olds can do without PBS in HD for the time being).

Is this right? When would I need an OTA antenna.

Sorry, I did not explain fully. You would need a DIRECTV HD receiver starting at $200. to a max. of $270., depending on the model you select. Or go with the HR10-250 for $850., instead of the $100. SD DVR, which would be the best solution, but cost an additional $750. You would not need a OTA antenna, saving the additional cost and trouble of making the OTA ATSC work and you could also get a lower cost TV, as you would not need a built-in ATSC tuner.

-Robert

Ok. So it now sounds like we have come full circle. IF, and I say if, I wanted to shave a few bucks off the overall purchase, then going with a SD DVR along with an HDTV w/ tuner + OTA will give me my local channels in HD (albeit with the added hassles of tuning the OTA, switching inputs, and not recording in HD). I would pay more for the tv, plus pay for an antenna.

Or, I could drop the extra 750 for the HD DVR, and avoid the need for the OTA, and buy a tv w/out a monitor. In reality, however, I've had my eye on the Hitachi 42HDT51 which is selling at Circuit City for 3599 and it already has the built in tuner. My research continues, but this tv struck me a very nice valueI based on reviews that I have read to date.

I don't know . . . I guess that's the question.

Can I get my local channels through directv if I go all the way and get the HD Tivo, or do I need to get an OTA to get my locals in HD. If I need an OTA, then I would question why in the world I would spend my money on the HD Tivo if I have no interest in subscribing to HD content from Directv.

DIRECTV has NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX HD locals in many DMAs. Dallas enjoys the following HD local networks channels CBS (KTVT), NBC (KXAS) and FOX (KDFW) from DIRECTV through your DIRECTV dish.

All you need to do is get a 18x20 dish, a HD set top box at $200. or go for the HR10-250, which cost $850. and subscribe to your local channels with DIRECTV, which costs $3./per month and you will have all of your locals on every DIRECTV receiver plus your locals listed above in HD, where you have a DIRECTV HD set top box or HD DVR. You do not need a OTA antenna.

The new MPEG-4 satellites will give DIRECTV the capacity to add all of your locals in almost every DMA, plus 150 national HD channels.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
DIRECTV has NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX HD locals in many DMAs. Dallas enjoys the following HD local networks channels CBS (KTVT), NBC (KXAS) and FOX (KDFW) from DIRECTV through your DIRECTV dish.

All you need to do is get a 18x20 dish, a HD set top box at $200. or go for the HR10-250, which cost $850. and subscribe to your local channels with DIRECTV, which costs $3./per month and you will have all of your locals on every DIRECTV receiver plus your locals listed above in HD, where you have a DIRECTV HD set top box or HD DVR. You do not need a OTA antenna.

The new MPEG-4 satellites will give DIRECTV the capacity to add all of your locals in almost every DMA, plus 150 national HD channels.

-Robert

This coming from a dealer? :eek: Please say it aint so :no !!. Directv has HD local into locals in 2 markets, LA and NY. We now have a HD Only waiver that can be submitted for those unable to get HD locals OTA. We WILL NOT HAVE HD LIL IN OTHER MARKETS UNTIL Spaceway 1 IS OPERATIONAL ( due to be in early to mid June).

REPEAT: SPACEWAY 1 IS STILL ON THE LAUNCH PAD. HD LIL IS *ONLY AVAILABLE IN NY AND LA*. Please, Robert.. I know that you are doing these guys a huge favor by posting here, and you have provided excellent info and service in the past. I beg of you.... don't start letting the information be incorrect.

I am not currently a DTV subsciber, do I understand that you can subscibe to DTV local channels only without a program package ?

SoCalSat said:
I am not currently a DTV subsciber, do I understand that you can subscibe to DTV local channels only without a program package ?

No, you need to subscribe to TOTAL CHOICE and then you can add the local package for $3./per month.

-Robert

directvrep said:
This coming from a dealer? :eek: Please say it aint so :no !!. Directv has HD local into locals in 2 markets, LA and NY. We now have a HD Only waiver that can be submitted for those unable to get HD locals OTA. We WILL NOT HAVE HD LIL IN OTHER MARKETS UNTIL Spaceway 1 IS OPERATIONAL ( due to be in early to mid June).

REPEAT: SPACEWAY 1 IS STILL ON THE LAUNCH PAD. HD LIL IS *ONLY AVAILABLE IN NY AND LA*. Please, Robert.. I know that you are doing these guys a huge favor by posting here, and you have provided excellent info and service in the past. I beg of you.... don't start letting the information be incorrect.

Sorry we can't agree on this. DIRECTV offers O&O local HD Network channels in 39 DMAs.

In fact, all three Networks, NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX are broadcast in HD through your DIRECTV dish to all DIRECTV HD customers who subscribe to local service at no additional charge in NY, LA, Chicago, and Philadelphia. 35 additional DMA markets have one or more O&O HD local channels through DIRECTV without the use of a OTA antenna.

Even Marquette, MI, which is in DMA #178 way down on the bottom of the list enjoys WJMN, the local CBS O&O station in High Definition directly from DIRECTV.

-Robert

The only networks being offered in HD via DTV at this point in time are out of NY and LA. Some customers in the cities you have mentioned qualify for those channels as distant network services, however they are NOT local channels.

Cripes.

As per directrep, the others will not be available until after the new satellites launch.

Supporting information:
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/fox_hd.html
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/nbc_hd.html
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/abc_hd.html

The markets listed in these links are eligible to recieve either HD feeds from NY or LA, no others are currently being broadcast.

Robert that just is not true. I live in chicago and I can assure that we do not get locals in HD through D*. Yes, we do get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX in HD thorough D*, but they are not the local versions, they are from NY. We get WNBC, WABC, WCBS and WNYW.

I am suprised at the misinformation you are passing along.

Only 2 Cities Are Getting "hd" Locals Ny And La! The Others Are Getting Their Regular Digital Locals! Once Again Only 2 Cities Ny And La!

I am very sorry if I am wrong. I got this information directly from my DIRECTV regional sales manager and he even emailed me a confirmation.

I don't doubt everyones information, but I will re-check with DIRECTV dealers services on Monday.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fox Problems-Final Thoughts

Poor SD Picture Quality

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts