Does this approach make any sense

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's growing difficult to get a straight answer to what I thought was a basic question.

Putting aside any effort to sell me anything (for the moment), my increasing confusion really boils down to the following true or false questions:

1) I have a tv with a built in tuner. I don't subscribe to directv w/ HD. I want to get local channels in HD. My understanding was that since I already have a tv with a built in tuner, then I can simply purchase an OTA antenna and get CSI, West Wing, the Masters, and any other local channel HD broadcast. True or False

2. While my directv w/ Tivo will not be able to record in HD, I can still record the local channels that I get through directv in SD. True or False

3. In order to view the local channels that I am receiving via the OTA Antenna, I will simply need to switch the input on my tv from the satellite feed to the aerial feed. True or False.

1) should be yes, as long as you are in an area where you can get a decent signal.
2) absolutely.
3) yep.

Wouldn't the answer to #1 depend on his tv? I have a tv with a built-in tuner like everyone else, but it is not HD.
And for #3, why is the OTA not run into the receiver? When the receiver is off, the OTA feeds through. No need to switch anything at the tv.

My tv will be the Hitachi 42HDT51. According to the specs it as 2 NTSC and 1 ATSC tuners. I assume by this that I have the proper tuner in my tv, and I should begin researching the best OTA for my area.

As for Question No. 3 above, if there is a way to connect everything where I don't need to switch the inputs on my tv, I am all for it. I am just not very technology savvy, and I get confused with the various connectivity options.

There are multiple ways to connect. The easiest is just bring the OTA feed into the receiver. There is an input on it for that. One feed into the tv and you're done. When the receiver is on, you're watching the sat feed. When it is off, the OTA feeds through and you're watching locals.

Of course, this answer does not consider DVD and VCR players and other inputs. Nor does it address which feeds are best. There are different levels of quality associated with the various types of feeds. RF, Video, S-Video, Component/RGB, DVI. But I don't want to cloud the waters on you just yet. Since you admit to not being tech-savvy, I wold go with the simplest method. As you learn more, you can get into different signal pathways and the different ways they connect.

Of course, that's my opinion. There are many others here as I'm sure you'll hear from them.

I appreciate your help. At least I can finally say with some degree of comfort that my original plan was a valid approach. I imagine there are many out there like me who do not quite yet see the value of most of the HD content that you get as part of a subscription package, and therefore, have a tough time justifying the current cost of the HD Tivo directv receiver.

Since my tv seems to have the required tuner, it make sense for the time being to buy an OTA Antenna and enjoy HD available from the networks without paying a monthly service fee for HD content or paying the large money required for the HD Tivo receiver.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Sorry we can't agree on this. DIRECTV offers O&O local HD Network channels in 39 DMAs.

In fact, all three Networks, NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX are broadcast in HD through your DIRECTV dish to all DIRECTV HD customers who subscribe to local service at no additional charge in NY, LA, Chicago, and Philadelphia. 35 additional DMA markets have one or more O&O HD local channels through DIRECTV without the use of a OTA antenna.

Even Marquette, MI, which is in DMA #178 way down on the bottom of the list enjoys WJMN, the local CBS O&O station in High Definition directly from DIRECTV.

-Robert
I am in Philadelphia DMA and do not receive Phila locals in HD i receive NY and LA but definitely not phila HD locals unless you are referring to ota theu my directv box.

Rob no need to apologize. What you said is perfectly fine, the markets you listed get exactly what you said they get. The only thing that was a little aloof, was the word local, but never the less they all get the "network" in those markets. And yes Philly and Chicago get all four networks on D*. But obviously the channel is New York's local channel.

Sorry we can't agree on this. DIRECTV offers O&O local HD Network channels in 39 DMAs.

In fact, all three Networks, NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX are broadcast in HD through your DIRECTV dish to all DIRECTV HD customers who subscribe to local service at no additional charge in NY, LA, Chicago, and Philadelphia. 35 additional DMA markets have one or more O&O HD local channels through DIRECTV without the use of a OTA antenna.

Even Marquette, MI, which is in DMA #178 way down on the bottom of the list enjoys WJMN, the local CBS O&O station in High Definition directly from DIRECTV.

-Robert

I am very embarrassed and sorry. I have always enjoyed sharing my technical knowledge and supporting forum members. I pride my self on being one of DIRECTV's best authorized dealers. Before I started ValueElectronics.com 8 years ago, I was a TV Broadcast RF systems engineer and developed many very large military and TV remote broadcast transmission systems.

We set our standards very high and continually strive to deliver excellence in all that we do. My company staff is extremely well trained so we can provide the highest level of customer service, support and accurate information. This silly, but serious error of mine is very embarrassing to me and I am truly sorry.

-Robert

We wuv you robert, don't be hard on yourself. I was trying to give you some support while others were being to critical, and then you get to critical on yourself :)

venoma said:
As per directrep, the others will not be available until after the new satellites launch.

Supporting information:
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/fox_hd.html
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/nbc_hd.html
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/abc_hd.html

The markets listed in these links are eligible to recieve either HD feeds from NY or LA, no others are currently being broadcast.

I live in MD and have the Washington DC locals currently. The links you provided (which I have seen on the site before) say I should be able to get the HD feed from NY or LA correct? If that is the case, why can I still not get those feeds without the waiver? The signal where I live is poor with OTA. On occasion I can get CBS at night, but forget NBC or ABC. I also have the Fox HD that I got with an approved waiver about 3 years ago, but I can't get one from the other networks. I live about 40 or so miles from the Balt or DC feeds, but I have mountains around me causing problems. Let me know who I can call if I can get the feeds.

Those pages have been messed up for a while. They took the FOX O&O list and overwrote all the other networkswith it. So those pages are no longer correct.

here are the true O&Os for each network: www.satelliteguys.us/bfg/o-o.htm

Since I live about the same distance from Baltimore and Washington, can I get the NBC and Fox feed for Washington DC and the CBS Feed for Baltimore? I have asked D* reps before and they said I needed the waiver. What dept at D* should I talk to?

if baltimore nbc and fox are claiming you can get them ota then that's why you need a waiver. I think they have a distant network department that sends out waiver requests.

I'll give it another shot then. The mountains I have around here kill the sognal for me. I have a Squarershooter but not always picking up CBS and not getting the other feeds at all. I have 25db amp attached and tried with and without but still no luck. Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fox Problems-Final Thoughts

Poor SD Picture Quality

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)