Does this device even exist ?

sprintcarcrazy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2003
I have a relative who has a woodshop on his farm about 1/4 mile from his house. He has wireless internet running from his house using a couple of Yagis.

He has a spare Dish 500 on his shop with a 311 running. He has no phone lines in the shop but he has a cell phone.

Is there a device that he can install to utilize the 802.11 to tie into his existing wireless internet and back to his land line phone at his house to use a fax machine and plug his dish into ?:)

He really doesnt want to pay for a voip service !

For only being a 1/4 mile, I'd run a copper line from the house to the woodshop, it's only about 1800 feet or so, it wouldn't be fun unless you had a trenching machine that could be had at a rental store.

Does the power for the shop come from the house or direct from the power company? If it's from the house he could use some of those wireless phone line adapters that use the power outlets.

My boss loves technology and always wants something that I then have to setup for him.

This isn't cheap but it does give you the ability to use the wireless network!

Yea, and the OP did seem indicate the subject was against spending significant money, which why I mentioned the [free if not relatively cheap] methods I did, however, I am always happy to learn about new things, and perhaps the person the OP mentions may be ok with a one-time purchase, as opposed to the contractual one he'd likely have to make with a VoIP service.

:)

I have ran accross this, and if I can get it near a window, it may just work, what do ya think ?

http://www.nycommsdirect.com/DUALjack-p/4-0001.htm

Hmm, well, I can't say for sure [I don't think anyone could honestly say for sure if it would work without a on-site inspection (sooo many variables)], but if they have a liberal return policy, nothing is stopping you from trying it, then if it fails, you can just return it.

Though, if I had to put money on it, I'd have to say your results would be less than great, but by no means am I always right.

Is it possible to just bring the STB to the house (hooked up where the phone is) when the woodshop is not in use?

Basically just bring it into the shop as needed, leaving it hooked up to the phone line at the house the rest of the time.

I know, a lame suggestion, but a mans choices are limited by his willingness to spend in this case, as it is not always possible to solve a 100 dollar problem with a 1 dollar solution. ;)

But please don't give up, and keep us posted.

Last edited:
You could use a Sipura 3000 at the house with the phone line and another Sipura 1001 at the remote location. Set the 1001 to hotdial the 3000 PSTN side anytime the 1001 line is taken off hook.

The linksys devices look intersting, so since the remote end is on wireless, could I take, say a wireless game adapter type device and using it, connect to the 1000 and use the wireless link back to the 3000 at the main site ? The 1000 only has ethernet, correct ?

The linksys devices look intersting, so since the remote end is on wireless, could I take, say a wireless game adapter type device and using it, connect to the 1000 and use the wireless link back to the 3000 at the main site ? The 1000 only has ethernet, correct ?

Yes, you'll need to feed the 1001 ethernet. You don't have a bridge already setup?

No just a yagi on an access point on the main site to a cisco pci card in a machine with a yagi outside on the remote site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)