Does This Skew Seem Right

After some googling it seems you are in a zip code in the 780XX region, Dish’s manual to the 1000.2 indicate Elevation=48 Skew=121 Azimuth=209 for that area, so it seams dishpointer gave you the skew in the reverse direction (180-59=121).

Maybe that's the issue with my not getting signals on all 3 birds. I get crazy different skew numbers at different sources. Satellite Dish Pointer with Google Maps | Satcom Resources gives:
Site Latitude : 29.95
Site Longitude : -99.08
Satellite Orbital Slot: 119W
Antenna True Azimith: 215.995
Antenna Elevation: 48.85
Magnetic Declination: -999
Antenna Magnetic Azimuth: 1214.995
Polarity Skew: 30.589
bird 119/

Reactions: charlesrshell
Honestly, I find it a lot more easier to just use the Dish made manual and plug your zipcode into that. Most of the time the manual has the closest coordinates, and accounts for the 3 LNBF's. Here is a PDF I found in a google search, worth keeping bookmarked/saved somewhere. (Zipcode list starting on page 10) http://www.dishmyhome.com/DISH 1000.2 Installation Guide.pdf

Here's what I get at DishPointer for your location using the multi-lnb listing for the 1000.2 dish and western sats.

dishpointer.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
That's correct, however for some reason. Most places still list a skew for it.
I think a little clarification is needed.See my example? If your dish was aimed true south, as we start out in the c band or ku fta world with polar dish mounts that track the sky.. The lnbf 0, or skew reference would in fact be at zero. If you popped the plastic cover off and looked down the throat you would see the antenna probes aligned vertically and horizontally. Just like a +. Kinda'.
As you scan the arc west. Skew needs to tilt the lnbf to match the satellites apparent tilt in the sky also.
Imagine looking at the horizon through a fisheye lens pointing due south. The horizon no longer looks flat.
If you look east in the camera viewfinder (not moving the camera), you have to tilt your head to the left, or ccw, to get a flat view of your yard.
And the same looking west. Tilt your head right, or cw, to get the Ford in the driveway so it doesn't look like it's in a Joie Chitwood show.
So from the back of the dish looking at the sky.As you hunt for satellites west from true south. You turn the dish clockwise. Again look at my graphic.
You will find in a single lnbf situation if you do not add skew. You may snag a signal and peak your dish for highest readings. But you should add skew to what the listings say for your location. Then alternately tune in a horizontal and then vertical transponder and adjust skew in very small amounts until the signal strength is balanced for both polarities.
Again. Kinda'.

That's correct, however for some reason. Most places still list a skew for it.
LNB's that use vertical and horizontal polarity need to have the skew set properly for their location. Dish however, uses circular polarity LNBF's, so skew doesn't matter for a single unit. Multiple satellite LNBF's do need the skew setting to align the individual units with the satellite arc.

Try using the 1000.2 (110W, 119W, 129W) multi-lnb listing that adjusts for the Dish scale settings.
Yeah, if you use DishPointer, you need to select the specific dish you are using.

DiSH dishes are labeled with different skew numbers than DirecTV dishes. I found this out the hard way, several years back, thinking I was going to lock onto the DiSH Network Western Arc, using a legacy triple-slot DirecTV dish that happened to be here. I wasted hours (or days), never being able to get more than one satellite at a time, before learning that the skew numbers were "wrong."

Eventually, I came to my senses and bought a 1000.2, realizing this would be far more efficient than having to run a minimum of 3 cables into the house, and acquire a vast quantity of obsolete switches.