Does this seem reasonable?

Cavill.Chris

Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Metro Detroit
Hi, I am a new member, and would like to pose a question, mainly to dish network installers. I used to install for dish network, and am looking to leave my current filed (graphic design) and get back to putting up dishes...
I posted an ad on craigslist as follows (below), with the hope that someone would contact me and we could get started. I thought my offer seemed reasonable, but I am getting no responses. Generally, Craigslist is a great place for things like this... so please read below and let me know if:

>what I am asking seems fair
>what I am asking is allowed (I guess I just assumed that since you were using your own vehicle, you could take a ride-along if you wanted)
>And I guess most importantly, if maybe anyone here would be interested (I am located in Metro Detroit).

So here is a copy of the ad:

My name is Chris, 26 y/o. I used to be an Installer for Dish Network (DNSC - 1 year +), and I also have cable experience (Comcast - 1 year +). I did this while going to school, and when I finished school I left to pursue my "career", long story short - I am looking to get back into installing. I need a contractor or sub-contractor for Dish Network to shadow on Saturdays or Sundays for a couple of weekends (as I still have a mon-fri job) just to brush up. I have been out of this for a while and I am certain that the technology has changed dramatically. I am still familiar with the installation process, and have several of the necessary tools, such as a cordless hammer-drill, wrenches, wire strippers, crimpers for fittings, toner, etc, but I would need to have access to your meter and and other necessities.
I am not asking for any compensation, just an opportunity to ride along, help with installs, and refresh some old skills while picking up some new ones. I am a fast learner, good with heights and tight spaces (as I mentioned, I've done this before), I can handle ladders, and am not a liability.
So, I ride with you, you get installs done quicker ( 1/2 the time ) while "training" me... sounds like a fair trade. Have me do the s$%t work, wall fishes, crawl spaces, attics, whatever, but let me do the technical stuff too... site survey, dish assembly and mounting, tuning, receiver hook-up... etc.
If this is something you might be interested in, shoot me an email with some info... name, phone number, how long you've been an installer, who you work for, what areas you work in, etc... and we can get in touch.
Again, you can consider this FREE HELP on the weekend, I just need to get my hands dirty and pick your brain a bit between jobs- go over receivers, new install standards, the specifics of offering contract install work.
I am polite, customer oriented, and responsible. I just ask that whoever contacts me be the same. Long hours OK (comes with the job, right?!)

Thanks,
Chris
734.344.0583 (after 6pm)

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be appreciated, also, if this is not the most appropriate place to post this, then I apologize, and would be happy to move it, or have it moved by admin.

Thanks guys.
you can reach me by the number listed above, on AIM (my handle is: ChristopherLWA ) or by email.

I suggest you remove your phone number from your post.

With the economy as it is, I don't see it likely that you will get any interest. Certainly, from an insurance viewpoint, any contractor would have to think twice before taking you up on the offer. And they'll be suspicious.

Why don't you try to get with Craig at the Dish Store. He's a sponser here and retailer in Detroit with an excellent reputation here. Link is at the top of the page with other sponsers. Best of luck!:up

Ed

Thanks for all the input guys. I will keep the search going.
If anyone else has any helpful ideas or suggestions I appreciate it.

In response to navychop:

"With the economy as it is, I don't see it likely that you will get any interest."

Respectfully, I dont really see what the economy has to do with it. I am not asking for any pay. Perhaps then, they are worried that someone like me will come in and "steal" work from their pocket? Doubtful... I seriously dont think that people look at it that way.
Could you please clarify what you mean?

Also:

"And they'll be suspicious."

Huh? Suspicious of what?....I clearly stated my motives, and gave several means of contact. I dont see what there is to be "suspicious" of.

I have read threads on here of guys taking their kids, as young as 6 years old, out on installs with them.. is it really that far-fetched to think that someone might take along a competent 20-something with prior experience?
Im not looking to steal anyones job or pay, nor is my intent by any means malicious or devious. Id just feel better, personally, walking into my local DNSC, resume in hand, or Buying an Van and applying as a contractor, having done something RECENTLY, as opposed to some experience I had years ago, when clearly the technology has evolved and/or changed in some fashion.
Just me though....

I apologize if this seems hostile or argumentative.. as that was certainly not my intent. But if the reasons stated above are really the reasons I have not gotten any bites, then some clarification as to the the points made above would be greatly appreciated.

My business repairs school machines mostly laminators.

If someone contacted me offering to work for free from my area I would be instantly suspicious!

But I have trained people over the years all from other areas of the country.

have a friend with another business who had someone offer what you are.

they went on to steal a significant part of her customers.

not that you would but others have pulled stuff like this in the past

you may be better off to find someone from far away. besides all the liability issues if you got hurt, from falling off a ladder, to brushing by a electric meter, thats ancient and bad,

you just touch it and housefire starts..........

I work for a service company, different field. Bob has given good comments.

Something for nothing?

A field where there is danger, especially for someone whose training you are unsure of? Risk to them, your employees, and even the customer.

Equipment and customers at risk, and the possibility that customers could be "checked out" for a later "return visit?"

No need to take on such a risk, with little payback. We don't need more labor. We need more business. Too many customers have put off major work. We've done better than our competitors, but it's caught up with us. For the first time in the company's history, we've had to lay off a few people all at once due to lack of work.

I just don't see too many people out there looking for more workers, even for free.

I used to see a lot of ads from companies on craigslist looking for installers. Right now things are a lot slower for both satco's. Over the past couple of months I've hardly seen anything around here.

Most companies I know post ads looking for help, but rarely actually look through craigslist to find help, so that could also be part of your problem. If you really want to get back into installing you're going to have to go knock on doors in your area and pursue work that way.

Good luck to you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)