Does TWC NYC lower speeds to get users to buy higher speeds?

bayridge

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn NY
For about a year now, I've noticed my Internet service has been much slower at times. I thought they were making changes until I heard they are selling faster speeds for another $10 per month. I didn't even know they had different speeds as it was always pretty fast until a year ago.

Some people have said they are deliberately lowering the speeds to get as many people to pay extra for fast speed before FIOS takes their business away. Does anyone know if this is true?

I am going with FIOS as soon as they are in my area anyway because of the terrible customer service at their stores and poor speeds lately. Plus they keep raising the rates a tiny bit at a time on every little item and think we don't notice.

I don't know about them lowering speeds just to get you to buy a more expensive faster speed. In fact they just raised my speed a couple months ago gratis. I do keep track at my speed and find if my speed is lagging, I reboot the modem and router and that usually takes care of the problem. I get pretty consistent 20 mbps, and am running 2 laptops, ipad, two wireless connections on smartphones and a internet tv.

If they do it probably will depend on your region. Since they have FiOs to compete with here, I doubt they will do anything that will encourage people to switch.

In fact yesterday I extend, for yet another year, my promotional monthly internet service. I have had TWC internet for about 5 years now and have never paid full price. Every time my bill goes up about $20 more to what I am supposed to pay I call them up and tell them that I cannot afford to pay $50/month for internet. If I want to pay that much I will go over to FiOs and for $50/month I can get speeds that are 3 times as fast. They say, "If we extend your promotional payment for another 12 months, will you stay?".

If they never offered me the new customer promotion each year, I would have been with FiOs years ago.

Even if a cable company offered me the world to stay with them I would still go with FiOS.
Not for $20 more per month that does not result noticeable speed differences. Even though TWC is only 10 down and FiOs is 30 down, most of the time most people will not notice the difference at all, particularly since their turbo boost gives me between 30 and 40 down anyway.

the turbo in my area from twc is $10 more and it has been worth it for me plus it gave me powerboost which has come in handy at times.

That sounds pretty much standard pricing on all the systems. The faster speeds are great especially when running multiple wireless devices and actually viewing hbo, espn or even using the TWC app on my iphone.