Lost my FREE HD channels

thewolfe70

Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
So Cal
I'm in So Cal and I've had Time Warner for ever. Use it direct from cable, no settop box.

I've been getting HD local channels for a long time on 2-1, 4-1, 5-1, 7-1, 9-1, 11-1 & 13-1.

On Sept 9, 10 they went away. They did send a letter out saying they were updating their guide.

Time Warner says that's not their channels.

Anyone else experienced the same problem.

Your tv has a built in QAM tuner. They either moved them onto a different qam tuner or are now encrypting the channels so you cant get them for free anymore. Have you tried doing a re-scan on your TV?

They repositioned some of the unencrypted hd channels here on the Western New York System, but when I rescanned I found them right off the bat. Delete all your channels on your qam tuner and then rescan.

I'll ck the other channels. Since the TVs don't pick them up, I'll have to manually go through all the channels, I guess.

I'll ck the other channels. Since the TVs don't pick them up, I'll have to manually go through all the channels, I guess.

Yes that is the pain of a qam tuner without a cable card. You have to manually go through all the channels it finds in a scan and delete out the encrypted ones manually.

Islandguy43,

On my TV it's "Skip" channel. You mean to go to each channel one by one and "skip" that channel?

You need to go to your channel setup and autoprogram for digital channels. Then after you have scanned for digital channels, you will need to most likely go through the channels one at a time until you find the hd channels. On my system I get the sd version plus they hd version. However the hd version might show up at 2.1 and the sd version might be at crazy number like 106.3, or vice versa. Currently my hd locals are actually showing up under their actual channel number. i.e. channel 2 nbc in Buffalo is showing up as 2.1 for hd after the rescan. Prior to the rescan the hd version of channel 2 was 93.2.

Good luck, they are there, but you have to find them.

Went through every channel after re-scanning both my HD TVs. There not there.

I have a tech from TW coming out on Sunday but I think that will be a waste of time except to give me someone to talk (bitch) to.

With no boxes or receivers and only cable that we've have for over ten years I doubt if we get anywhere.

Thanks for the posts and I'll let you know what transpires.

Went through every channel after re-scanning both my HD TVs. There not there.

I have a tech from TW coming out on Sunday but I think that will be a waste of time except to give me someone to talk (bitch) to.

With no boxes or receivers and only cable that we've have for over ten years I doubt if we get anywhere.

Thanks for the posts and I'll let you know what transpires.

good luck. perhaps they have to change the filter on the pole.

Latest update

Yesterday I had a card installed in my new Tivo by T.W. and the tech was very knowledgeable and said that they had been having trouble with the local HD channels and were working on it.

He said that he had even talked to someone that morning and he thought it might have been corrected.

I scanned all my channels again and checked. I have 2-1 through 7-1. 9, 11 & 13 aren't coming in yet.

What's maddening is that I could not get any kind of answer as I kept calling in every week.

However....they did take $20 off this months bill. I guess threatening to switch to Verizon at least got their attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)