Lost my signal to Nimiq 82 - Getting out the chainsaw!

DWReimer

Original poster
May 12, 2005
Any help would be greatly appreciated before I take a chainsaw to my wife's favorite tree. I have been a BEV customer for 3 years and live in Michigan about the same parallel as Sarnia. I upgraded to the 6100 last October (when the leaves were still on the trees - I think). I received decent signals from both birds (91 and 82) all winter. Last week I lost my signal to 82 - all HD channels went black. Every time I do a Check Switch I get XX9191 - no signal for 82 at all. And of course, the system has downloaded a new guide sans the 800 stations. Last night I was up on the roof and tweaked my signal for 91 (with a direct connection to the receiver). I never moved the satellite more than a quarter inch for azimuth or compass setting. On transponder 11 I get a 100% signal (first time with 5 dishes I've ever been perfect). But still no second satellite detected. All transponders have good signals, even 27 (which was my previous worst) has a 78%. When I switch to the 82 signal on all transponders it says "wrong sat bell express vu 91". Here is the kicker - I have a tree that just got its leaves this last weekend. Is it possible to get a 100% signal on 91 and get blocked from receiving 82? Can you do a direct connection to the receiver for 82? The tree looks like it isn't in the way but I don't know what else it could be. I hacked off a truck load of branches to be sure but it didn't help. I have two lnb's hooked up side by side and I thought maybe one of them got fried some how so I switched them around and I still get the same thing. Any ideas on why I lost the signal? Tree?

welcome :wave

How do you have it hooked up? 2 LNB's and a SW21 or are you using a Twin (with the switch built in?)

If you can do a staright shot, I would try that. Hook it to the 82 and try it. If you get zero, swap the LNB's and see what you get with that LNB on 91

-if it works on 91 but not 82, then it could be trees
-if it doesnt work, then its the LNB

You could do 2 separate dishes too....thats what I did when I got ExpressVu
24" for 91
18" for 82
I didnt have HD :)

I have two lnb's with two sw21's. I tried swapping the lnb's with no luck. So what you are saying is that I could be blocked from the 82 signal while still getting 100% on 91? Should I try direct connecting to 82 and moving my dish around to make sure? Do they make mast extensions to raise up the dish a few feet?
Thanks for the help - enjoy the site/forum.

I have two lnb's with two sw21's. I tried swapping the lnb's with no luck. So what you are saying is that I could be blocked from the 82 signal while still getting 100% on 91? Should I try direct connecting to 82 and moving my dish around to make sure? Do they make mast extensions to raise up the dish a few feet?
Thanks for the help - enjoy the site/forum.

I would run a line from the 82 slot to the receiver to see if you have signal. If not, then it sounds like a tree issue.

You could move the dish around, but I would make a magic mark on the mast and the bracket so if it doesn’t work, you can go back to your point.

They do make extensions, but the higher the pole, the more you would need a brace, especially on the roof. If its pole mounted in the ground, then you should be OK.

I noticed you used TP11 to tweak it. The issue with that is that is the “new” satellite, Nimiq3. I know in MN, N3 gave me 100% on all 8 TP”s…..see what you get on 12 or 13. These are the older N1 TP’s.

Hope this helps : )

Sorry to beat the horse again but where on the horizon is the 82 signal is relation to the 91 signal or the Nimiq 3 signal? Up/Down East or West? That would help me determine if the tree is actually in the way.
Thanks again.
Dan

If you have one dish, where you have the 91 LNB (the left one if standing behind the dish)...82 would be left of there...about one LNB to the left :)

Just an update. Put up a second satellite (had it laying around the house), moved it to an unobstructed view and got the 82 signal. Hooked it into the switch on the first satellite and I'm good to go. Thanks for the help Iceberg - glad I found the site.