Does upgrade to Hopper from 622 require rewiring?

mlinuxg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
If I upgrade my 622 to a Hopper system do I need to have all the wiring replaced or upgraded? Or can they just install the Hopper using my current wiring and dish?

If I upgrade my 622 to a Hopper system do I need to have all the wiring replaced or upgraded? Or can they just install the Hopper using my current wiring and dish?

No way of knowing until the installer gets there and looks at your situation. The Hopper system is a little more particular on the wiring than the VIP series of receivers.

Most likely, your cables are fine.
Dish might call for a dish change if you're on the opposite arc from your HD locals. Just depends on what orbitals (sats) they have your account currently tagged with and which ones they determine you need to be on if you upgrade.

Do not forget the addition of the node. The tv2 lines will need to be rewired since they will now go to the client of the node. Other then that the wiring is similar and may be used. Also make sure it is rg6 cabling. Rg59 will cause major moca errors.

That was with the first generation duo nodes. They fixed that by redesigning the node and you can tell the new ones because it has a black dot on it.

Do not forget the addition of the node. The tv2 lines will need to be rewired since they will now go to the client of the node. Other then that the wiring is similar and may be used. Also make sure it is rg6 cabling. Rg59 will cause major moca errors.

Moca will work fine on RG59. Mine does on 30 year old wire. YMMV.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm glad it is working for you, however it is still an unsupported connection that has proven to cause moca issues.

Please provide the link where Dish says we can no longer use RG-59 to the Joey.
If his tv2 line has been working fine with his 622, then it'll probably be just fine with the Joey.
It's the nature of the job that we run into bad cable from time to time. That doesn't mean you replace the cable on every job just out of fear it may be bad. That's a bridge you don't cross unless you gotta cross it.

Considering I'm doing this on my phone I'm not about to go link surfing, however you can go to mydish.com and check out their wiring diagrams. And as far as what works and what is supported. Those are two seperate things. Dish only supports the rg6 cabling, so their technicians will replace any non rg6 cabling as a precaution. Unless they are lazy. And if audited will fail a quality inspection.

I'm glad it is working for you, however it is still an unsupported connection that has proven to cause moca issues.
It isn't the RG59 that is the problem. DISH MoCA runs under 1GHz and that's well within the range of any RG59 cable that isn't absolutely rotten or otherwise severely damaged.

Cable MoCA runs at MUCH higher frequencies but it too usually tolerates RG59.

My guess is that DISH doesn't want any reason for installers to have RG59 in their truck.

Considering I'm doing this on my phone I'm not about to go link surfing, however you can go to mydish.com and check out their wiring diagrams. And as far as what works and what is supported. Those are two seperate things. Dish only supports the rg6 cabling, so their technicians will replace any non rg6 cabling as a precaution. Unless they are lazy. And if audited will fail a quality inspection.

This is the most recent wiring diagram for the Hopper system that Dish put out shortly before the Super Joey was released. You can't see it on here but on the same page, Dish states this diagram was last modified on 04/04/14, which is less than 3 weeks ago.

As you can clearly see, it specifically shows that Dish allows both RG6 and RG59 to the Joey.

So, no, it won't fail QAS, and no, it's not the sign of an lazy tech.

super%20joey%20install3.png

Last edited:
If you live in a cold climate, make sure they put the node indoors. At one point there were problems if the node was outside in cold weather.
i believe that was in combination with a particular LNB and the older version of the duo node.

Our duo node has been outside for 2 years in minus 20 weather regularly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts