Dog/puppy forum

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

grantsa4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Naperville, IL
My wife and I just rescued a 6 month old puppy from a shelter and I was looking for a good forum with some experienced people to ask for advice. Does anyone know of any good sites?

I have 2 dogs now, got both as very young pups (one was less than a month old the other was the appropriate 2 months old).. The older of the two definitely pushed my patience to it's limits.. :) but I never looked for any forums.. read a bunch .. we did the puppy training class at the local petsmart..

I've learned two things with my dogs.. patience is very important.. and the other is always take a look at what you might be doing wrong.. dog psycology is definitely different than human psyc.. and it's easy to do what you think is right to only have the dog misinterpet it..

i read once that if you play tug of war with a puppy it will make them aggressive. when i used ol roy dog food from walmart my dog would have convulsions. i switched to science diet and the convulsions stopped. my dog was a mini-pin and live to the age of 13 before she died. hope this info helps.

i wonder why shelters dont re home dogs at flea markets? breeders make big bucks at flea markets some 400 bucks each, why not exhibit and rehome dogs for say 75 bucks a high enough price so they arent sold for medical research. its sad so many are killed because of over population.......

we have 3 currently are oldest was put to sleep with cancer not long ago. jen took him in so he could retire here.

i switched to science diet and the convulsions stopped
Science Diet is overpriced and over-advertised by a lot of veternarians... I think vets have some stake in making it succeed just like dentists do in making Invisalign work. Go with Puppy Chow or for older dogs Purina One. Cheaper than Science diet, and about the same quality if not better. Our Golden Retriever loves it.

My brother used to use Beneful when he had a Siberian Husky.. I don't know if they still do it or not, but a few years back he tried to get that dog on a Beneful commercial. Apparently there was some sort of a put your pic of your dog online thing and voters decide who wins. Unfortunately, the poll for that thing wasn't secure at all and anyone with an autoclicker could have (and did I think) vote for their dog millions of times since the poll didn't stop them from doing that.

dont use chemicals on your lawn, it can cause permanent heath troubles espically convulsions.

my wife sisters dog had this happen to him, cause weed killers

It was explained to me by a dog trainer & several pet store workers (whom I actually knew outside of the store).. Science Diet is the only dog food that keeps its equipment cleaned to human food consumption standards.. Iams & Eukanuba come in just behind Science Diet's standards .. everyone else just cleans it enough for animal consumption..

I also have heard Nutro is the most natural food out of all the makers.. they don't use filler like the rest..

My wife and I just rescued a 6 month old puppy from a shelter and I was looking for a good forum with some experienced people to ask for advice. Does anyone know of any good sites?
Tell us about the resuce. Did you have some old special forces friends with you when you kicked in the door?

They weren't water-boarding the poor old pup were they when you rescued it? Water-boarding is cruel. Hopefully they had only put panties on the pup's head. If so, it should be OK..

Just don't point at its genitals and laugh. It could result in unexpected repercussions.

Tell us about the resuce. Did you have some old special forces friends with you when you kicked in the door?

They weren't water-boarding the poor old pup were they when you rescued it? Water-boarding is cruel. Hopefully they had only put panties on the pup's head. If so, it should be OK..

Just don't point at its genitals and laugh. It could result in unexpected repercussions.

sadly millions of pets arent rescued and killed every year.

I hope whoever replaces bob barker keeps the spay and neuter at the end of the show, a nice tribuite to him that might do some good

Congrats on rescuing the puppy. Here's a good web site for dog care info: <http://www.westernvet.com/index.html>. I agree with the other comment about training--you need to take the puppy to a training class as soon as you can. This is now easy to do, usually at Petsmart or Petco. Get a clicker and do "clicker/reward" training. Very easy and fun. Use positive reinforcement. Avoid harsh and negative training--you will only frustrate the puppy and yourself. Watch "Dog Whisperer" on National Geographic channel and "Me or the Dog" on Animal Planet. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)