D'Oh -- maybe made the wrong choice!

TimeHorse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Well, even reading this forum for the past few months doesn't give all the answers to the Canadian Satellite receiver wannabe.

That's not to say the site isn't populated with IMHO geniuses as I think you all are! But it's a matter of not asking the right questions on my part.

I am getting Canadian Satellite service in tandem with my new HD TeeVee set. I intended to hook the Canadian Satellite up to it. Reading the review -- great work Iceberg! -- I decided StarChoice was the better service for me. But I live in Washington, D.C. I looked at the charts for Anik F-1 and was happy. A 75cm dish should be quite adequate for standard, English reception. But HD and French programming is apparently on Anik E-2 and that signal is much weaker and may require a 100cm Dish! D'oh! I will try and hook it up when it comes next week to see if I can get a signal from Anik E-2 though it may take a while to get it set up and I'd hate to activate my a/c only to find out I can't get CBC HD when it might have been possible with ExpressVu. *Sigh*

Anyway, wish me luck with my borderline reception -- that doesn't even cover not having enough F-Connects in my TeeVee room to support all the inputs required by the DirecTiVoHD and the StarChoice 530 with an external antenna. :confused:

huh? where are you reading that Anik F2 (not E2) needs a 100cm dish?

Both satellites (F1 which is the main and F2 for HD) has almost the same footprint so you'll be fine with the 75e dish. This is what I use in MN :)

Heck, people near the border (of Mexico!) can get both satellites fine with the 75e

ANIK E2 was taken out of service 2 years ago. It is presently leased to the Argentine government and resides at 81 degrees.

Telesat leased Galaxy 3R (named it Anik E2R) until Anik F2 was launched 17 months ago.

Anik F2 has greater coverage than Anik F1R

Thanks for the vote of confidence Iceberg -- the super-genius of this forum, IMHO! I read this on the Kusat installation page. They recemmend a 100cm dish for reception. As I said, I've not set it up yet, but as MN is near the border and Washington, D.C. is about 1/3 the way to Mexico I would guess it may be a bit trickier. I suspect a 45dB signal, which I suppose a 75cm dish might handle but as I said, the Kusat chart for http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/install/foot-display.php?nickname=e2 says that Anik E-2 requires 100cm for this part of the country and further that the French and HD programming is on Anik E-2 not Anik F-2. I hope you're right about Anik F-2 -- and given your experience I have faith in you -- but if the information on Kusat.com is correct, I may only be able to receive Standard Definition programming. After I set it up, I promise to post a progress report. Other than that, I guess I'd just better wait and see what kind of signal I actually can get, assuming the Satellite finder directions on the Kusat site are the correct orientation given they may be wrong about Anik E-2.

Well, KuSAT sold me a 75cm in florida and said it would be fine for both birds.

Thus, not sure why they would tell you a 100cm is needed in DC.

I personally use a 60E here in Coastal Connecticut, you arent much further south then I, so a 60E would work, and a 75E would do wonders ;)

I use a 75cm in Long Island, NY..never had an issue with signal loss even during heavy snow and rain

Love it.

TimeHorse

TRUST ME....E2 isnt there anymore. Its F2 and a 75e will work fine in DC.
I could use a 60 in MN if I wanted

F2 is a very strong bird and you will have no problem with both birds with the 30"/75cm dish. My customers in southern California and Texas and the Carolinas have good reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)