Doing everything wrong HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hibernicus

Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
Around 11 am today I began my attempt to temporarily hook up my new dish. After I thought I had line everything up the signal meter on my Pansat read 0%. After a lot of fiddling with everything I couldn't get it to rise above 0.

I know I'm doing something wrong (probably many things), but I have no clue what. I'm going to start with the things that I suspect I'm doing wrong and work from there.

1. How do I check the signal level with my Pansat? Once I screw in the coax, if everything else is right do I have to enter any settings? I chose AMC 4 from the list and put in the skew (28, though the calculator said 27.7). Is there something else I need to do?

2. Just how level must the pole be. If I had placed a board across the top of the pole, I don't think a marble would roll off it.

Is there a checklist out there? I'm not even sure if I did anything right with the installation.

At the very least, you need to set up the lnb frequency correctly for the lnb you are using, typically 10750 for a standard linear. If the freq is correct , and the switch settings correct, you WILL get a signal strength indication, even if the lnb in sitting in a closed box. The signal strength indicator is electrical feedback from the lnb. Once you have it, you know your cabling is connected, and switch settings are correct.

If you are planning on using a motor then you will need the pole perfectly vertical if not then it is easier if it is close to vertical. You need to have some signal level. Try hooking your lnb to your receiver with a short coax cable - with no ground blocks or switches or other connectors in-line. Like brentb636 said - signal level shows that the lnb and receiver are connected. There were some factory assembled coax kits sold with the center lead too short. I believe that you stated that you re-flashed the box, were you able to get the correct firmware for your box?
Bob

are you changing the skew at the dish or in the menu for the reciever? You need to do it at the dish. The receiver option is if you have a polorotor off a big dish (3 wires that come from the LNB)

Are you doing motorized? This post is assuming you are...

Do check level all ways.

With satellite, even a half inch off in skew, elevation or azimuth can make or break you. If you aren't level, some part of your arc is going to be off.

First thing you need to do is figure out what your true South satellite is. Next thing is look on thelist or just ask here for a strong 24/7 channel on the true South. Next, enter it in to the pansat if it's not already there. You can go in to edit tps in your list. I have a pansat 3500 sd. It took me a while when I first got it to figure everything out... there's a main satellite list's scan, and it's not the same as a blind scan... that scan only actually looks at tps that are already loaded in to the receiver, which may or may not be the tps you actually need to be looking at. Look at the list, and mike kohl's list for a good reference to have printed in hand before you dive in too far.

Basically, find true south by entering a tp in your list that you know exists on the satellite you are looking for... Then aim satellite south, roughly where you think you should be looking. Don't tighten all bolts yet... Keep moving elevation, and azimuth til you hit the signal... then lock down bolts slowly, and tweak, tweak, tweak. About 6 months ago I spent almost a full 3 day weekend tweaking the heck out of my dish. I finally got it to just where I wanted it, so elevation is perfect. Occasionally wind will hit the thing, but that just moves it left or right half a degree. I adjust for that in usals by just adding or subtracting one half of a degree or so to the azimuth. So far wind hasn't touched the elevation. If you do have motorized, it's a little easier since you really just need to hit true south and the motor takes care of skew for you, assuming you have tweaked it a lot to get good signals on true south and on both sides of the arc - to the west and east.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Let me elaborate on what I did.

I'm not using a motor.
I'm using a Pansat 2500 (reflashed with the right firmware thanks to you guys), a 36" Sadoun dish with a Sadoun "Standard FSS Dual LNBF".
I set the frequency to 10750.
The signal level stays around 30% without the coax plugged in and around 75% with the LNBF attached. When I press the SIG button on my remote it stays at 0%

I didn't understand what skew was so I just looked it up. I had been setting it on the receiver. Now I'm not sure how I'm going to accurately set the skew at the dish. If I'm off by a few degrees with the skew, elevation, or azimuth how do I know which to adjust? How close do I need to be to get some signal strength? The constant zero was a bit more than discouraging.

skew the LNB first..I dont know which coast you're on so is it +28 or -28 skew? You have to skew the LNB first. With a skew that much, it is imperative to skew first.

You do have the LNB LO frequency right as 10750

Bring up an active transponder....see thelist for active transponders

The Fortec dishes have been known to have the elevation off by up to 5 degrees. What I would do is put the elevation what it should be and aim the dish in the general direction of where AMC4 is for your area (I assume you have that info already of elevation, azimuth and skew). ANd slowly move it to see if the quality meter moves. When in doubt, try a smart scan (blind scan). It will find the satellite info for WHERE EVER you are. Then we can see how close to AMC4 you are :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts