Done with VOOM> Dish and 921 here I come!

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Been on Voom since the start. And No I am not canceling (YET). I am just so sick of waiting for HD dvr and even more sick of rebooting Voom box every day> As well as sick of my 3 buddies that I talked into Voom last June that call me at least once a day to bitch about also having to reboot receiver every day.
Well I also have Dishnet and just went to Costco and bought a 921 DVR
Read lots about it. Good price so I thougth I would give it a try.
Heck I can sell it on Fleabay or return to Costco if I dont like.
At least Dish is getting HD DVR product out for us.
I still stick by Voom and wont give up yet. BUT HECK its 921 time OH YEA! :)

Reebooting?

I disconnected my phone line from the Box and have not had to reboot in weeks. have you tried that yet?

I have never even plugged in phone cord. I do know if I turn box off at night it works better then if I leave on 24 hours. But none of this hassle happened before latest software upgrade.
Thanks for your help.

Disconnecting the phone line didn't help here in Seattle.

Still watching HDTV under clear cold Seattle skies, Gill

iceshark said:
Been on Voom since the start. And No I am not canceling (YET). I am just so sick of waiting for HD dvr and even more sick of rebooting Voom box every day> As well as sick of my 3 buddies that I talked into Voom last June that call me at least once a day to bitch about also having to reboot receiver every day.
Well I also have Dishnet and just went to Costco and bought a 921 DVR
Read lots about it. Good price so I thougth I would give it a try.
Heck I can sell it on Fleabay or return to Costco if I dont like.
At least Dish is getting HD DVR product out for us.
I still stick by Voom and wont give up yet. BUT HECK its 921 time OH YEA! :)

Let me know how you like the 921. I'd be interested. Heard mixed reviews about it. I was thinking of getting one before I dropped Dish. But, then I heard it won't record OTA channels. Is this true? What else is there to record on Dish HD other than OTA channels. Anyway, let me know how you like it. I love my DVR.

keno said:
Let me know how you like the 921. I'd be interested. Heard mixed reviews about it. I was thinking of getting one before I dropped Dish. But, then I heard it won't record OTA channels. Is this true? What else is there to record on Dish HD other than OTA channels. Anyway, let me know how you like it. I love my DVR.

If you go to Dish 921 forum you will see I had same concern with recording OTA in HD with 921. The long and short of it is that if you subscribe to Dish locals you can get OTA guide and record locals in HD. This is what I am understanding. I will be very unhappy if reply was incorrect!

I found my system only needs to be re-booted when I use the up/down channel buttons and traverse channel 7, which is NBC here in the Boston area. Yes, I tested all the channels and it is only channel 7 that has this problem (locks the receiver every, single time). If I navigate using the guide, or key in '7', there is no problem.

It's hard waiting for the DVR I agree, but having said that, and having experience with DirectTV, DISH and Comcast Digital Cable, I'll stick with VOOM and the wealth of HD programming. Besides, I like supporting the small guy.

Something definitely weird with Voom's STBs: all of my 3 boxes act completely ifferent from each other... :shocked

Hey, "apcaruso",

Post this over on the VOOM/Yahoo forum to Wilt's attention just in case VOOM's engineers haven't run across this problem yet. Wilt is VOOM's VP of engineering and monitors that forum.

Still watching HDTV under very cold clear Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)