Don't forget Charlie Chat Monday!!

hdaddikt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Clovis, CA
Be interesting to see how well all these recent issues are covered; impending HD channels as well as new local allocations, external drives, software change issues (L441 through 443), HDMI, etc.

focus heavily on what they've launched and what has been upgraded, I'm sure a heavy emphasis on the Big10 network and hyping up the NFL network.

that's all, nothing new will not mention that D* has channels (supposedly) coming next week at all.

there will be the usual Nascar promos and other useless time wasters. I haven't heard much about HD locals of late. Does anyone know where the projected time tables are for future cities? Frustrating watching all the college football on Saturday in HD and then on Sunday looking at crummy SD NFL feeds on the networks.

I doubt that they will add hd locals until the new sats, that are now both delayed due to launch site problems, are up and running by next year:2008. Then the new mpeg 4 service will start up and all locals should look better than today due to the new mpeg 4 compression. Then by Feb of 2009 all locals across the country that are carried by DISH will be converted to their true digital signal . MAybe DISH will then add more locals in true hd and not just downconverted to sd like they do presently. Then again that all depends on how fast the current local channels present the digital signal to DISH for carriage. There is some concern by DISH that they won't have enough time to add the digtial channels if the stations wait till 2/09. THen the locals will go off if they don't already have their digital versions up and ready for DISH . DISH and DIRECTV both need time to reaim the antennas in each market and make sure that the digital channels are received so they look and sound good without issues .

NOT the sd locals and that was what I was talking about. They too will be transmitted in mpeg 4 once they are moved to the new mpeg 4 service early next year. Also all sd locals presently being shown on DISH & Directv will need to have their digital versions up and ready to be transmitted by December or they will risk the chance that they will go off the air when the analog shut down takes place on 2/17/09. Both providers have asked that all local stations present them with their digital versions by December of 2007 so they can start converting all sd locals to their digital counterparts. NOt to say that you will get HD but you will get the digital version in 480i.

thanks for the input. I was wondering why there had not been any talk of HD locals for months. I thought it was perhaps Dish was concentrating on "keeping up" with Direct TV and all their plans to launch 50-70 HD channels this month. I am thinking we should get CNN and TBS fairly soon and then wait to see whatever launches.

Anyone in the know(Scott) have any idea what Charlie will talk about tonight?? By now we have a list of things that he will go over. Is Charlie going to surprise us tonight??:)

There is more HD coming this month. HD PPV is scheduled to go live this week.

So I would HOPE that we would have some HD announcements tonight. :)

But I don't know what will be on tonight's show, nor do I want to. Always good to get a surprise.

I like Surprises. Big10 is a good one last week.

I'm hoping that Charlie is really trying to steal D*'s thunder this month. The actions of adding the 8/15 HD channels, History-HD, and now the Big10 surprise, show that Dish is taking serious actions.

This could be a lot of fun.

I'm afraid that he is going to take the position of "They really aren't true HD channels at this time ...." and dismiss many of the additions that D* has planned.

Charlie Cahats tend to announce things that have already happened. but we can always hope.

That is my big fear, last week was CEDIA and they could have made a lot of waves if they would have announced the new HD there.

It would be silly for them to announce them tonight during the Charlie Chat with a few thousand people watching.

Guess we will wait and find out. One thing is for sure, we will have a good time in our Chat Room tonight, no matter how good or bad the Charlie Chat really is.

That is my big fear, last week was CEDIA and they could have made a lot of waves if they would have announced the new HD there.

It would be silly for them to announce them tonight during the Charlie Chat with a few thousand people watching.

Guess we will wait and find out. One thing is for sure, we will have a good time in our Chat Room tonight, no matter how good or bad the Charlie Chat really is.

Since when has Charlie ever made big news with announcements? It has been my experience that he does everything under the radar. I wonder how many people outside our forum who are not Dish subs actually know we have the big 10 channel. It wouldn't shock me if he made some HD announcements. But all I really want to know is what on earth is going on with NHL Center Ice. Their CSR's are making it sound like they are working on their deal which makes me nervous seeing as how they did NOT pick up the MLB package this year. I would hate to have to scramble with no notice over to Directv to get it.

Everyone once in a while he does spring a surprise on us. Usually the surprises are really good "upgrade" offers.

Considering all the things that are in motion at this time, I'm hoping that that there might be something to announce.

Still, it could be that IPTV stuff that has kinda been talked about. We already know about it, but perhaps a launch date or a demo of its feature.

I have a feeling Charlie is going to announce 6-12 more HD channels for this month, he is not going to let Direct tv be the leader in Hd.
Just so long as he doesn't announce that they're coming two years from now. If that's the case, then he needs to keep his mouth shut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)