Don't raise your rates, raise my fees!

The million dollar question is "why?"
Try reading the Team Summit thread and you can see some reasons floated. I'm betting that the channels in the Flex pack are now starting to ask for more money or they don't want to be included in the pack any longer. Which means dropping them from the pack making the pack less popular. I'm also speculating that there is also the continued pressure from Espn and other sports channels to include them in that pack , so it blows up the price.

But the average revenue per sub has dropped over last year -most likely because so many dropped down to the Flex pack in order to save money. DISH has done their best to keep the price up with all their FEES, but even that hasn't brought the average revenue per sub up compared to last year's first quarter results. And as we saw last quarter DISH still lost 318,000 satellite subs , so it hasn't helped them attract new subs or retain existing subs like they thought it would.

Try reading the Team Summit thread and you can see some reasons floated. I'm betting that the channels in the Flex pack are now starting to ask for more money or they don't want to be included in the pack any longer. Which means dropping them from the pack making the pack less popular. I'm also speculating that there is also the continued pressure from Espn and other sports channels to include them in that pack , so it blows up the price.

But the average revenue per sub has dropped over last year -most likely because so many dropped down to the Flex pack in order to save money. DISH has done their best to keep the price up with all their FEES, but even that hasn't brought the average revenue per sub up compared to last year's first quarter results. And as we saw last quarter DISH still lost 318,000 satellite subs , so it hasn't helped them attract new subs or retain existing subs like they thought it would.

All very valid points, but then why can Sling, DTVNOW, PsVue etc offer skinny bundles at the same price point and with those channels you just mentioned?

Reactions: pattykay
Claude you know my opinion about FEES. DISH is the King of made up, charge it because we can, FEES. They use those fees to go towards their bottom line in the way of profits. I posted in another thread that the fees for the hopper and the joeys are what keeps many subs from ever upgrading to the hopper. It is ridiculous to charge for joeys anyway. They don't work without a hopper , so why not let people buy the joeys and then pay nothing for additional receiver fees or outlet fees. DISH seems to not care anymore about keeping and retaining subs. They are supposedly doing away with the FLEX pack , that I and many others here like. This pack did what I have always wanted to do and not pay for Sports, kiddie programming and women's programming that I don't watch anyway. DISH continues to lose subs for their satellite business- 318,000 in last quarter alone. They look to me, like they have decided to just make as much as they can while they can ,on the remaining subs that stay with DISH. At this rate they will drop below 13 million subs this year. Younger generations are not using pay tv and they are going online for all their shows. Older generations that have paid for tv are literally dying out with each passing day. The future doesn't look bright for DISH. After my commitment is up , if I can't get discounts from DISH , I will probably look elsewhere for my entertainment , because the price is out of wack for programming and their ever increasing DISH fees. Especially if they really do away with the Flex pack. It is the only thing that has kept me with DISH this last year.
Even in your other post, you said that it is guessed that 318k left....

Those services are not paying for satellites, receivers, installers etc. All that adds to the cost on top of the programming.

True, but if they don't stay competitive, they will die. They will become "the provider of last resort." Maybe they are OK with that. It will be like DishNet. Just for rural people.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Considering DISH doesn't like to release separate results for either Sling tv or DISH satellite Suns , it is a pretty good prediction of what the lost.

I'm noticing a new trend among providers where they are raising the fees on services instead of the base packages.

Examples...

Fees for first tv (charter, Directv)
Regional sports fee (all providers)
Broadcast tv fees (Comcast)
Hd access fees (Comcast, maybe Dish)
DVR Fees
Additional receiver fees (mini genie and joey)
"Regional sports fee (all providers)" except Dish, unless you count the Regional Action Pack add-on for Flex Pack.
"Hd access fees (Comcast, maybe Dish)" Not Dish. Add Directv to the list: they still charge the $10 fee for existing subscribers who signed up before a certain date.

Coming soon: A fee for collecting fees.
They already have that. Read the description of the FCC fee in the fine print in the box on page 2 of your monthly Dish bill.

Considering DISH doesn't like to release separate results for either Sling tv or DISH satellite Suns , it is a pretty good prediction of what the lost.
A guess. It could have been significantly less and you wouldn't know. Spouting it as fact is an issue. It is a guess and like Fox News was way wrong, they could have been too.

Mike, I predict that Dish added subs and lost a bunch of Sling subs... prove me wrong.

Quit being an ass, those predictions are being used by many news sites. Correct or not, they are probably pretty close. If they're not, so what. Dish is still a slowly sinking ship with 143,000 in combined loses. It's still relevant in the discussion of what is the leading cause of their continuing loses.

Dish Loses 143,000 TV Customers in Q1 as Revenue, Earnings Drop
http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/dish-q1-2017-tv-subscriber-losses-1202404461/

Again, they are guesses, so we need to stop saying "Dish lost 314k subscribers". It's a very important distinction. I don't see everyone being so voiceful when they added subs. Everyone has something to say, and yet most of it is opinion presented as fact. If you're going to post facts, then Dish lost 143 subs as a company. No more, no less. Their financials confirm that.

I guess Dish feels the more you want, the more they can get as with most providers. I am happy with one signal 211k with no fees. The only fee I did pay to get the HDD set up. But it was only $40, one time fee. I only pay for programming. Free OTA TV tuner is especially nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)