Downgrade to one Hopper 3?

superM

Original poster
May 20, 2013
United States
Right now I have two HWS and two joey 1.0 leased from Dish.

With the hopper 3, would I be better off with a single hopper 3 and 3 joeys? One of the HWS just had a drive failure so I would be looking to either replace it or trade all my stuff in for a new setup.

Sure hope the new Joeys are better than the Joey 1. My two Joeys are slow.

I have the same setup as superM and am out of contract. I wonder what kind of deal Dish would give me.

Right now I have two HWS and two joey 1.0 leased from Dish.

With the hopper 3, would I be better off with a single hopper 3 and 3 joeys? One of the HWS just had a drive failure so I would be looking to either replace it or trade all my stuff in for a new setup.
You really don't have a choice, for now you can only have one Hopper 3 per account anyway. It will save you a few dollars per month but you will be cutting your storage in half as well.

Sure hope the new Joeys are better than the Joey 1. My two Joeys are slow.

I have the same setup as superM and am out of contract. I wonder what kind of deal Dish would give me.

The new Joeys are faster. It's been well know that the Joey 1 receivers are very slow and that the newer models work well. I have a Joey 1 which is slow and a Wireless Joey which works great.

When upgrading to the Hopper 3 any old Joeys are required to be upgraded to the newer models.

You really don't have a choice, for now you can only have one Hopper 3 per account anyway. It will save you a few dollars per month but you will be cutting your storage in half as well.

Well, technically he has a choice. He either upgrades to a Hopper 3 with three Joeys or he replaces his bad Hopper and sticks with his current setup. I think the biggest factor in doing this upgrade is that you lose the redundancy of having two Hoppers. You also lose the ability to have separate recordings on two Hoppers.

The new Joeys are faster. It's been well know that the Joey 1 receivers are very slow and that the newer models work well. I have a Joey 1 which is slow and a Wireless Joey which works great.

When upgrading to the Hopper 3 any old Joeys are required to be upgraded to the newer models.
Will the WJs count toward the H3 Joey limit?

Well, technically he has a choice. He either upgrades to a Hopper 3 with three Joeys or he replaces his bad Hopper and sticks with his current setup...

True, you are 100% correct. I should have stated is that if he intended to get a Hopper 3, that in order to mimic his current setup that he would need to go with the H3 & 3 Joeys while giving up his other Hopper.

I have two HWS and one original Joey. One HWS lost its HDD.

I decided to just replace, not upgrade to the H3. Maybe after the Wally comes out we might reconsider, since it will provide redundancy.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have two HWS and one original Joey. One HWS lost its HDD.

I decided to just replace, not upgrade to the H3. Maybe after the Wally comes out we might reconsider, since it will provide redundancy.
I plan to see about adding a Wally when they come out. In the meantime, I can make it if the H3 did happen to putter out, until I can get a replacement with the TiVo OTA setup I have, and streaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)