Downgrading from Hopper to VIP DVR

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Has anybody done this? Are the programs archived to an EHD with the Hopper still readable on a VIP DVR?

EHD is readable on VIP and Hopper receivers. With the # of posts about bad software on the Hopper I am surprised more people aren't coming back to the more stable VIP receivers. Maybe it is because so many think their 2yr contract is on Hardware and don't realize it is for programming only.

I've had one customer that downgraded to the 722k after Dish talked her into the Hopper. Retailers can not do upgrades but Dish will do it. As for your recordings, I see no reason why you can't transfer them onto the EHD and back onto a 722k.

Dish does a terrible job of qualifying customers and I bet they have had to downgrade a lot of customers after they were unhappy with the Hopper. Just look at the reviews on Amazon, most of those people never should have gotten the Hopper but Dish talked them into it.

The reason you don't see it much on here is because we are heavier users and the Hopper is more suited for us. We are also better at figuring out issues faster than the average customer. Some of these software issues would be a nightmare for the average customer.

The 722 had it's own problems. Especially when using the epg for recording. It often could not read the info from Tribune if a show was new or a rerun. When channels had their marathons, ie sowing multiple episodes of DEADLIEST CATCH, it would try to record them. I had to go in manually and cancel it. The Hopper is much better at that.

Maybe it is because so many think their 2yr contract is on Hardware and don't realize it is for programming only.

I'm fairly certain changing equipment will more often than not require an ADDITIONAL 2 year agreement/extension of contract. I used to call these w/o's "dishin it downs", and as far as I recall they all called for the same agreements to be signed as a DIU. Perhaps if you've only had the hopper for a few weeks it isn't a big deal, but someone that is even a few months into a contract may not want to start the clock over again, particularly if they are already dissatisfied with the equipment.

End of life receivers being replaced would be the only exception I can think of.

I got my 2nd 722k and it lasted only 10months before the hard drive went out the same as the first 722k. That was after the harddrive on a 722 had went out to begin with. So, I switched to the Hopper and at least the hard drive has not went out YET.

Did I miss you getting the Hopper or are you preplanning an escape route?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

A 57 Chevy would be nice. An 07 ViP would not.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That's what I thought. So to the OP, any VIP you get will be remanufactured.

OK, full disclosure. I have an owned 722 (and two 612s) and was contemplating upgrading to a single Hopper. If the Hopper dies on me, it will take some days before I can watch TV again... Unless Dish would re-activate my owned 722 in the interrim. I was wondering if I could still watch EHD content from my owned 722 if it was put there by the Hopper. Apparently, nobody knows. But I have to think that there must be some reason for the refusal to mix Hoppers with VIP equipment. Maybe the EHD is it.

OK, full disclosure. I have an owned 722 (and two 612s) and was contemplating upgrading to a single Hopper. If the Hopper dies on me, it will take some days before I can watch TV again... Unless Dish would re-activate my owned 722 in the interrim. I was wondering if I could still watch EHD content from my owned 722 if it was put there by the Hopper. Apparently, nobody knows. But I have to think that there must be some reason for the refusal to mix Hoppers with VIP equipment. Maybe the EHD is it.
Once the 722 is deactivated you can not use the EHD the internal HD may work for a few weeks but it also will die. If you are that worried about the Hopper leaving you without TV maybe you should get a RV 211 owned receiver on your account. Or get an OTA antenna connected to an ATSC equipped TV.

TheKrelll, you can watch an EHD from a 722 on the Hopper after an upgrade, so it seems likely (to me) that the reverse is also true. The bigger question is, would Dish CSRs be able to temporarily activate a 722 on a Hopper account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts