New Web Sling Player v1.5.1.118 for IE - Apr 2011

TG2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Viginia
New version of the WebSlingPlayer is up and available for Internet Explorer ..

WebSlingPlayer v 1.5.1.118

http://plugin.slingbox.com/downloads/msi/1.5.1.118/WBSP_IE_Setup.exe

Of things I've noticed, and would be curious if others find it the same ..
when using it inside my home network, the pause, skip, FF & RW functions all seem much more responsive than before.

To see which version you currently have, either check the "Add Ons" in Tools of IE to see the version, OR, with a video window open, right click in the video viewing area and choose "about"

I'll come back with anything else I notice ...

Please Note, installing through the stand alone installer above, you may have to "allow" the player on Dish/Sling sites or "All Sites" as the stand alone installer doesn't seem to update the list of sites allowed to use the active x ... and may wipe out the old allowances. (you'll be promted if it does need to be "allowed").

Last edited:
Does it finally support IE9?

Maybe with that upgrade complete, Sling will finally show some love for the Mac platform. The current version doesn't run on the latest Firefox version or OS X Lion beta* at all, and requires Safari to be run in 32-bit compatibility mode.

*"I can neither confirm nor deny that I have tested this."

Does it finally support IE9?

Maybe with that upgrade complete, Sling will finally show some love for the Mac platform. The current version doesn't run on the latest Firefox version or OS X Lion beta* at all, and requires Safari to be run in 32-bit compatibility mode.

*"I can neither confirm nor deny that I have tested this."

I would rather they get it working with Flash making it work on all platforms without needed a special plug-in at all liked they talked about last CES.

(And IE9 had no problems with the SlingPlayer ActiveX control that I was aware of. It ran on the beta fine on my computer.)

Problems after WebSlingPlayer v 1.5.1.118 install

After running this, I log into the Remote access (Dish) to the grid guide and select a program to watch over the web. I click on a channel. It says to "install sling player for internet explorer." I do and follow all of the instructions. When I log back in, I still get the "install sling player for internet explorer" message. Sling does not appear in the add-ons. Does anyone have an idea how to do a clean uninstall of add-on and Active-X from this WebSlingPlayer v 1.5.1.118 install?

To see which version you currently have, either check the "Add Ons" in Tools of IE to see the version, OR, with a video window open, right click in the video viewing area and choose "about"

While I can see the version in IE 8 with the right click in the window, I don't see anything in the "Add Ons" list for the sling player. Where is it?

While I can see the version in IE 8 with the right click in the window, I don't see anything in the "Add Ons" list for the sling player. Where is it?
When you go into add-ons ... the default is to show you what is currently loaded. you'll need to set it to All to see it.. (click image below, see red circle)

ie-addons.jpg

Also, for OberKassel ...
After running this, I log into the Remote access (Dish) to the grid guide and select a program to watch over the web. I click on a channel. It says to "install sling player for internet explorer." I do and follow all of the instructions. When I log back in, I still get the "install sling player for internet explorer" message. Sling does not appear in the add-ons. Does anyone have an idea how to do a clean uninstall of add-on and Active-X from this WebSlingPlayer v 1.5.1.118 install?
are you sure you're being prompted to install the plugin again, or are you getting the prompt to "allow" the plugin to run on all websites?

Manually installing could cause the plugin to not have an "all" or * in the allowed sites list. You could also manually add the dish.com/dishnetwork.com/sling.com sites if you wanted to restrict the plugin to just those sites.

As to the install/uninstall .. the stand alone installer does properly list itself in add/remove programs or programs & features if win vista/7.

And note, that there has been a case of this before (repeated install request) ... where the user had been getting repeated prompts for install, and what it turned out to be, was an OLD plugin dating back to when they had originally installed a Sling Box more than a year ago.. and that old plugin didn't properly remove itself (uninstall) that user finally had to manually change entries in their registry to fix the problem.

Again that was a problem from a very old version of the plugin ... which while its Slings' fault, the onus is on the user to uninstall unneccessary things at the time they'd no longer use said devices or continue to update those apps/plugins, which more than likely would have addressed the location of the plugins during the upgrade process ... but that since now its more than a year and some 12 or more versions different, sling can't really be blamed, other than they should make a universal un-installer so that it cleans up *all* previous sling refrerences .. which I've not found yet.. so if anyone else has one.. let us all know.. :)

Thanks very much. Yes, I am continually prompted to install the plugin again, and never get to the video. Yes, the program does appear in the Control Panel of Win 7 Programs.
The plugin I had installed was not more than a month old.
Will have to find what entries to get rid of in registry somehow. If you find out, please post.

I have the same issue as oberkassel, and I'm pretty sure I was the first in my area to have the 922 (so likely have a registry issue which needs manual clean up). I've always been frustrated that I've needed to download the websling add on each time I've tried to use my sling function, so at least this is progress (I now know the issue). I'd appreciate a link to the process of cleaning the appropriate registry issues as well.

When you go into add-ons ... the default is to show you what is currently loaded. you'll need to set it to All to see it..
I've done that, but still don't see anything in the list that has "sling" in it (in Firefox it is quite obvious). So, what is it called?

When I first begin IE, and go into my manage add ons ? All add-ons, I can't see the WebSlingPlayer at all. If I use the downloaded file at the beginning of this thread to install the add on and then have it open a new instance of IE as part of the install process I see that I have WebSlingPlayer version 1.4.0.90 Enabled. Obviously this is a downlevel (and flawed) version.

I found a thread online where the inability to uninstall the downlevel version of this add-on was fixed through the use of a registry cleaner, but the linked cleaner costs $25, and I'm not willing to pay.

Is there a better solution?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Group -> Sling Media
Name -> WebSlingPlayer
Also in Add/remove programs

as in screen shots below

ie-addons2.jpg ie-addons3.jpg

also note, they have already pushed a .119 of the plugin so maybe they found an issue with the installer routine. When I attempted to install 119 it told me I had to manually uninstall the old through add/remove programs.

Last edited:
The link to the .119 version is here:

http://plugin.slingbox.com/downloads/msi/1.5.1.119/WBSP_IE_Setup.exe

One must first manually (through the Control Panel) remove previous installation of the WebSlingPlayer ActiveX control.

After doing both those steps, I do not end up with a different situation than shown in my post at the end of page 1 of this thread (i.e., still shows the 1.4.0.90 version number).

Closing and reopening IE shows no WebSlingPlayer ActiveX control is installed.

The Control Panel shows that I have the 10.3 MB 1.5.1118 version installed. ? (Not a typo, "installed" the .119 but version number shows as .1118)

I'm thinking that I'm still being stung by the registry issue mentioned upthread. :(

The link to the .119 version is here:

http://plugin.slingbox.com/downloads/msi/1.5.1.119/WBSP_IE_Setup.exe

One must first manually (through the Control Panel) remove previous installation of the WebSlingPlayer ActiveX control.

After doing both those steps, I do not end up with a different situation than shown in my post at the end of page 1 of this thread (i.e., still shows the 1.4.0.90 version number).

Closing and reopening IE shows no WebSlingPlayer ActiveX control is installed.

The Control Panel shows that I have the 10.3 MB 1.5.1118 version installed. ? (Not a typo, "installed" the .119 but version number shows as .1118)

I'm thinking that I'm still being stung by the registry issue mentioned upthread. :(
First.. you found a cleaner link.. nice.. second.. that they want to charge for it.. un-believable. Something else to throw at Dish / Sling because its *their* product that is failing to uninstall cleanly.

Third... I just finished installing 119 on mine.. and I to have the ADDONs saying 119, but the add/remove saying 118! Interesting!! Dish ala sling ... a continual work in progress.. who's to bet they come out with 120 soon ;)

To redress the Registry ... if you've never played in it before.. now may not be the time to do so .. if you don't have backups, and options to restore your registry, or having ever done that before .... now is not likely the time to begin ... I can not take responsibility for your registry..

That said.. you can uninstall all websling components then clean the registry by hand, then reinstall.
  • start by identifing what versions you're told are installed (compare add/remove programs with addon's in IE
  • then close all ie windows
  • uninstall any sling components with add/remove or programs & settings if on vista/7
  • then move on to confirm its not there inside IE in the Addons
  • next open the registry, export everything
    • very top left of regedit "My Computer"
    • right click, select "Export" ... recommend you save under My Documents (or Documents if Win7) it might take a couple of minutes depending on how big your registry is.
  • Now search for the versions you are told were installed, common keywords "Sling", "WebSling" and see what you find. If any of it references directories that don't exist, then more than likely that's a problem.
Deleting any keys or modifying data/keys/etc in the registry isn't hard to do, it just realizing deleting the wrong thing could kill your registry, and stop the computer from booting up.

Having a backup will help, but only if you can get windows running to the point of being able to restore from said backup ...

If you want to send me a copy of your registry to look through I can do that ... won't make any promises though (other than I won't steal/harvest your registry data for nefarious endeavors) PM me for an address to send to, and zip it please its likely to be large. ... i just tested mine it was 164 megs exported, and 10 megs compressed.

I found a thread online where the inability to uninstall the downlevel version of this add-on was fixed through the use of a registry cleaner, but the linked cleaner costs $25, and I'm not willing to pay.
Hey.. in the "25 dollars" ... are you talking about Piriform's CC Cleaner?
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

that 25 is for fully supported versions and to give them incentive to keep working on it (etc) ... you don't have to "Pay & Download" just below that is the version links, with another pleading for donations...
ie:
Huge thanks to those of you who have already contributed and support our software!
You can still donate here.

Version 3.05.1409 (2,979 kb)
- Download from FileHippo.com
- Download from Piriform.com
I would caution, that while it does clean the registry ... that won't solve this problem either.. at least it didn't for the other person that had the problem with the old version hanging around. ... because it doesn't see the keys as invalid or needing fixing.. it fixed a bunch of other non-issue stuff though.. :)

Last edited:
You are correct that this doesn't solve my issue, but I certainly appreciate the link to the free version.

Anyone still with problems?

List Versions please.. after installing (if prompted) opening up the "view live tv" or opening a DVR'd event ... then right click in the area the video is to display ... and select about ...

also check control panels' Add/Remove Programs (Programs & Settings for newer windows) find WebSlingPlayer Active X and check its version, and also open the Add-on's in IE, set it to show all add ons.. then find your WebSlingPlayer and look at its listed version...

discrepancies are signs of problems (except 1118 in Installed Programs and .119 in plugin)

Everything works for me with the exception of seeing the Add-on in IE (running IE 8 on Windows 7). I see 1.5.1118 in Installed Programs and 1.5.1.119 in the About when right clicking in the player.

Anyone else ever get this resolved?

Its weird, I can watch DVRed programs, but I cannot watch Live TV because I get the same "install slingplayer" software error over and over and over....

Did you ever have a Sling Box or install Sling Software other than the webslingplayer that comes up from the web?

Most of the time the cause is an old player still installed. When you're next playing content from your DVR, right click the view window, and do About or Version depending on which you have.. and report back the version it says its using..

Here's my problem:

Laptop running Windows 8 Pro, 2GB RAM.

Tonight I fired up my laptop and logged into my SlingBox AV, it worked great - closed SlingBox, closed IE 11.

Re-opened IE 11 and went to DishAnywhere and was prompted to install WebSling Player, so I installed it and was able to watch content on my Hopper w/Sling, no problem.

Switched back to SlingBox.com and logged into my sling account, SlingBox AV could not connect, try again later - tried numerous times, no dice.

Ran system restore on laptop back to before WebSling Player install and SlingBox AV is again working perfectly.

Is the new WebSling Player messing up my slingbox.com software?

Any ideas how to get both to work without doing the install/system restore dance?

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)