This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Download a virus from E* 7?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Skyscanner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Sportsman's Paradise Northern Mi
Is it possible to download a virus from a satellite? A while back when they scambled NASA and ION, I now remember at that time having problems getting rid of any channel that I had in my list that came from E* 7. Today, having forgotten the problems of the past. I decided to try to see what might be on E* 7, I went to the installation menu of my Coolsat 6000 and noticed that the 119 position shows 00.0 Echostar 7 in the menu. So I go to the motor menu and change 00.0 to 119, input freq and sr and boom, green bars all the way across. I'm thinking this is great, I go to manual scan and hit OK and the thing goes blank,comes back on to RTV, the only other channels I had in. 2 more times and the same thing. So then I go to auto scan, hit OK and it goes blank again, comes back on to RTV. About this time I remember why I changed 119 to 00.0. When they scrambled NASA, ION, and whatever else was there, I had some sort of issue with my rx and I had a devil of a time deleting anything on 119, it didn't want to let me to do it, but I finally got rid of them and I was relieved to be rid of it. Well I forgot about the problems, and today when manual and auto scan failed, I went to blind scan, it began downloading channels and as soon as it was done, went blank again, and now just cycles off and on, shows the 1st chan downloaded momentarily, but the remote cannot operate or stop the constant on/off cycling. Killing the power of course stops the process until you snap it back on again. I can't prove it, but I think E* might have sent a virus of some kind back when they were scrambling NASA. It's strange that rx worked fine on the fta sats, but now doesn't work at all after downloading from E* 7, the same 1 I had problems with before. Do you think it's possible to have picked up a virus that way? E* had won a suit against the makers of Coolsat about that time, I wonder if this is something they could have done, although I know there will never be any way to prove it. Has anyone else had any type of issues like that? I can't get it to stay on long enough, it dosn't look likely that I will be able to reinstall the factory programming. I bought this rx new in box, it has never been anywhere near any pegleg software.
ss

Not possible to download firmware updates with a CoolSat 6000. You are simply experiencing a software/hardware malfunction/failure.

Last edited:
never had an issue with Dish 119 (technically the sat is now E14) and "viruses" on the CS5000
and I scan those sats once a week to see maybe if they forgot to encrypt something and my software is still 1.00

Well OK Brian, just seems strange, almost beyond coincidence. Still scratching my bald head over this one. No way I have found to even get the menu back. Oh well, silver lining in every cloud, maybe a new rx in the future. Ice, I don't know what version it had, it was the same as it came with, I never even tried to upgrade to anything else, don't know how to do it with a cable, that's why my other 2 boxes have USB.
ss

Before buying a new receiver, try a Master Reset or load new firmware. A search of recent CoolSat 6000 threads by site members should suggest the best version.

Good luck!

Don't know if that can happen, I can't find any way to stop the on/off cycle other than killling the power and of course you can't do anything with it then.

Anyone enlighten me on how to do the master reset? Or maybe reload firmware when the thing cycles on and off all the time?
ss

Last edited:

Try disconnecting the coax cable and/or turning off the master power switch for 30 seconds. There is also a key sequence during start-up using the receiver front panel keys, but I don't remember at this time.

Often a firmware upgrade by RS-232 interrupts the rebooting issue.

OK, I guess I'll try the 232 route, already did the coax/master power thing, and tried doing the front button thing. If I remember right you hold down the front buttons while turning it on, I think it was the power and up arrow button, I've done it before and it displays a "secret" menu with password displayed and sw versions etc, but it has no effect now. Kaput.
ss

Thanks Denny
My 6000 already had the ability to turn off the scanning beep, so it must be a pretty new version. I'm sick of it right now, don't need it anyway, have other rx. When I have a better day I'll see what I can do about rebooting.
ss

It almost sounds like an IC power regulator chip is cycling from normal operation to an overload condition then back to normal operation, over and over. If everything else fails, try disconnecting the coax to the dish and any other external accessories (to reduce electrical load) and see if the malfunction changes. If it changes in timing, then it may be a power supply problem. If it stays the same, ????? Good luck.

It is now completely disconnected from everything, my wife just came home and I plugged it in unconnected to anything and you can see from the display that it keeps cycling on and off.
ss

It is now completely disconnected from everything, my wife just came home and I plugged it in unconnected to anything and you can see from the display that it keeps cycling on and off.
ss

Sky,

I just read this thread about your receiver problems. If you don't get it going by Friday bring it over here along with your dish motor project, maybe we can figure it out.

Jim

OK Jim, will do, but I don't hold out much hope. I have never upgraded a rx by cable, but I'm pretty sure you need to acess the menu to do it and that's not possible in its present condition. If there were some way to get it to stay on, it might be possible, but that's not an option.
ss

Status
Please reply by conversation.