Streaming from OSmio4K to TV

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi guys, quick question. What Android app do you use to stream 4:2:2 video from an Osmio4K (or other rcvr) to your TV? On my PC I can use VLC and that works OK. I'd like to stream from my Android phone or tablet to my TV. On the PC I go to the Mio's web page and can stream from there. I tried the same on my phone but whatever app is being used to stream doesn't work. I don't know how to change the default streaming app to VLC.

Also assuming it works OK on your phone do you use Chromecast to send the video to your TV?

Thank you, Happy Holidays,
Alan Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.

Reactions: c-spand
Thanks, I got dreamdroid to work on my phone. I'm trying to see how to cast the phone video to my TV. I'm looking for a Chromecast but can't find it yet.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

For those interested I got this to work but I'm not that happy with the result. The Chromecast literally takes your phone screen and casts it to the TV, pixel by pixel. There are a couple problems with this.

One, the aspect ratio of my phone is different than the HD ratio of the TV and also different from the ABC video I'm attempting to cast. The result is the video as shown on the TV is smaller, and somewhat shrunken in size.

Two, I have to have my phone screen active in order to cast. I would prefer to blank the phone screen so it doesn't use battery power. If I blank the phone, the video cast to the TV is also blanked, so I see two screens.

Anyway it works but it's not would I hoped it would be.

I still haven't found a great option for streaming 4:2:2 feeds from Mio 4k to TV. With VLC app, FireTV 4k (newest stick or cube) and nearly all Android TV boxes can't playback without locking up or with dropped frames. I had some success with ABC720p feeds using Nvidia Shield TV although it chokes on 1080i feeds. MiniPC works but I dont consider that a great option.

I stream to my Channels DVR server via the various .m3u's the Mio 4k puts out per channel. Since it only has a single tuner, I just have to make sure that I never try recording with Channels from more than a single channel on the Mio at a time.

That also gives me full epg, integrated into my Channels guide with all my other channels from an HDHR 4k Flex, to Tv Everywhere stuff, and regular streaming .m3u's from the internet.

Here's the type of .m3u's it does, for instance, here's Movies! channel on 101W:

Code:
http://192.168.1.15:8001/1:0:1:5:1:0:A1D1054:0:0:0::Movies!%204180

Reactions: Titanium
He seems to be concerned mostly with streaming 4:2:2 feeds like ABC.

I use a 2nd E2 satellite receiver in client mode. A Zgemma H7. The main receiver needs to be in standby mode.
Tried a few different images and so far OpenViX seems to be the one that works the best.
If the main receiver is not in standby then you can only watch channels on transponders that the main receiver is currently tuned to.
The actuator will work from the client receiver over main receiver. If you use one.

Option 2 for me is to use a laptop on 5G wifi. Use the webif to stream to VLC. And cast to my Fire TV. Or Roku. Or TV.
Not that it should make a lot of difference but all devices on my LAN are set static I.P..
Router is also set in the LAN page / DNS Server / Manually Assigned IP based on MAC.
NASA UHD and some of the 4:2:2 channels stream w/o a glitch.

But. For me anyway. Dreamdroid is a bit cluttered and clunky.
Clunky in that I have some 40 sats. stored. Perhaps if you only had a few it wouldn't be so bad.

Another option to play around with would be Kodi's PVR. See if it works for you.
VLC "can" be used on your TV/streamer. And search the local network for an exported m3u8. But that's a pita.

I stream 4:2:2 from the MIO to the TV using a laptop PC and KODI. Use the enigma2 add-on in Kodi. Just enter the IP of your MIO, it already has the port number set etc for steaming.

Also make sure your LAN has lots of headroom. Router here maxes at 4GB (16 ports) and does fine, but a basic consumer router wouldn't likely do well. Also the router does not do wireless, I have separate APs for wireless. MIO and laptop are wired, 1Gb ports. I could not get wireless to work at all, even newer 802.11Ac, even when the laptop, MIO, and AP were only a few feet apart. Maybe a USB modem on the MIO would work, but I have ethernet available so I keep it simple.

he 4K NASA feed stutters; if it was really important to watch I might set up the MIO and laptop on a separate subnet and their own GB switch. I just switch HDMI ports on the TV direct to the MIO if I want to watch that channel instead. Need the direct video from the MIO anyway when I want to scan or update the MIO.

As I mentioned previously Nvidia Shield can stream 4:2:2 ABC feeds although it can't playback CBS 4:2:2. As far as STB streamers, I don't have Apple TV or one of the newer chipset Chinese Android TV boxes to test out. For CBS 4:2:2, using a PC may be the only option.

I stream 4:2:2 from the MIO to the TV using a laptop PC and KODI. Use the enigma2 add-on in Kodi. Just enter the IP of your MIO, it already has the port number set etc for steaming.

Also make sure your LAN has lots of headroom. Router here maxes at 4GB (16 ports) and does fine, but a basic consumer router wouldn't likely do well. Also the router does not do wireless, I have separate APs for wireless. MIO and laptop are wired, 1Gb ports. I could not get wireless to work at all, even newer 802.11Ac, even when the laptop, MIO, and AP were only a few feet apart. Maybe a USB modem on the MIO would work, but I have ethernet available so I keep it simple.

he 4K NASA feed stutters; if it was really important to watch I might set up the MIO and laptop on a separate subnet and their own GB switch. I just switch HDMI ports on the TV direct to the MIO if I want to watch that channel instead. Need the direct video from the MIO anyway when I want to scan or update the MIO.

Now that you mentioned router headroom, I need to try this again with the Calix Spire that came with my fiber service. It's worked OK with everything else so far. Hopefully its better than the TElCO DSL router I previously had :)

Thanks for the replies and info. I have this mostly working. I'm using Dreamdroid on my Android phone. And I have it setup to use VLC rather than it's own player. I then cast the video using Chromecast to my big TV in the living room.

The video is stable with no breakups, but what I'm seeing now is the audio becomes out of sync after awhile. Probably due to network latency or something like that. It is working though so that's a plus.

Regards,
Alan Rovner

Reactions: c-spand and FTA4PA
I finally got a chance to try out Apple TV 4k as streaming device from Edison Mio 4k. Using a Vu+ app I downloaded from app store, it had no problem streaming ABC or CBS 4:2:2 feeds. I wasn't overwhelmed with the image quality, which might have related to the app and not the feeds or device although as I had borrowed the device, my time was limited. There is a similar Vu+ app for Android TV but thus far I have not been able to get it configured to connect to my OS Mio 4k.

Reactions: primestar31
If you have a public IP you can do it, you’ll need to forward port 8001 in your router to your receiver. I recommend that you setup a password first because you will get hacked if you don’t (happened to me, a Russian hacker encrypted all my recordings)
What if he sets up a Tailscale VPN?