osmio4k (not plus) streaming

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
How many streams of the same program can the osmio4k handle? It seems it can only handle one stream. Two streams seems to cause freeze frames or loss of audio.

I thought yours went bad? I'm not sure what question you are asking about "streams' so can't answer that. I only really use mine for satellite channels, and watch it directly on my tv set, or record and watch later.

I thought yours went bad? I'm not sure what question you are asking about "streams' so can't answer that. I only really use mine for satellite channels, and watch it directly on my tv set, or record and watch later.
I have two of them. The streams are when 2 or more different devices (i.e. one PC and one smartphone or laptop or tablet or another PC) try to stream the same program over my LAN. When I watched a satellite program on my PC my son will connect to that box to watch the same program on his smartphone. The program looks fine on one device but when another device tries to stream that program at the same time the video gets all messed up.

I have two of them. The streams are when 2 or more different devices (i.e. one PC and one smartphone or laptop or tablet or another PC) try to stream the same program over my LAN. When I watched a satellite program on my PC my son will connect to that box to watch the same program on his smartphone. The program looks fine on one device but when another device tries to stream that program at the same time the video gets all messed up.
Oh, ok. I don't do that, but I would imagine it doesn't have enough horsepower to do more than one. Is it hardwire connected to your router, or using wifi? If wifi, maybe there's some issue there that's choking it.

Oh, ok. I don't do that, but I would imagine it doesn't have enough horsepower to do more than one. Is it hardwire connected to your router, or using wifi? If wifi, maybe there's some issue there that's choking it.
I hope that 1.3 Gb wifi (802.11ac) isn't a problem. I am streaming over wifi but there's plenty of bandwidth, obviously. It must be a limitation of the osmio - part of the problem might be the 100 Mb ethernet on the thing. I have the osmio ethernet port connected to a wifi router. I won't go into detail but if you know what WDS is then you'll have some idea of how my LAN gets distributed without a bunch of cat6. I'm using 802.11ac 5 GHz radios which are less likely to be interfered with.

Reactions: primestar31
Make sure the receiver serving satellite is in standby. Running openvix on my osmio4k. Client is zgemma H7 running vix in client mode. 2 Win 11 pc's stream to VLC for a total of 3 devices on a 5 GHz LAN.
About a 6 second cascading stream delay on the 2 pc's compared to the H7. IE: H7 shows live, pc 1 stream is 6 seconds delayed and pc 2 is another 6 seconds delayed.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Make sure the receiver serving satellite is in standby. Running openvix on my osmio4k. Client is zgemma H7 running vix in client mode. 2 Win 11 pc's stream to VLC for a total of 3 devices on a 5 GHz LAN.
About a 6 second cascading stream delay on the 2 pc's compared to the H7. IE: H7 shows live, pc 1 stream is 6 seconds delayed and pc 2 is another 6 seconds delayed.
Not to hijack, but you can connect 2 E2 receivers with the same image to send satellite from the server to the client? That's great. I have a mio and H7C.

Reactions: arlo
Not to hijack, but you can connect 2 E2 receivers with the same image to send satellite from the server to the client? That's great. I have a mio and H7C.
It doesn't have to be the same image. Vix makes it a bit easy. Let's see. I'll hit the menus......
One the remote receiver. Menu>Tuners & Scanning. Fallback Configuration. Enable fallback remote receiver.
Set it up to your main receiver network config.
Probably best to set the main receiver to a static IP address. Or in your router, setup to assign an IP based on MAC address. Would suggest the same on your client (remote) receiver.
Go back to Tuner Setup. Down at the bottom, click Client mode.Enable it. Set it up to see the main receiver.
That should do it. I can parallel it here if you reach a bottle neck.

It doesn't have to be the same image. Ex. I ran OpenATV on the mio (main receiver) and Vix on the remote. But since Vix is so cool I migrated to the same image on both boxes.

If you use picons. On the remote receiver you may have to FTP or import your channel list from the main receiver. I dunno. It took me a bit to get it all working like a peach. And a peach it is!
But as I mentioned. The main receiver should be in standby mode.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
It doesn't have to be the same image. Vix makes it a bit easy. Let's see. I'll hit the menus......
One the remote receiver. Menu>Tuners & Scanning. Fallback Configuration. Enable fallback remote receiver.
Set it up to your main receiver network config.
Probably best to set the main receiver to a static IP address. Or in your router, setup to assign an IP based on MAC address. Would suggest the same on your client (remote) receiver.
Go back to Tuner Setup. Down at the bottom, click Client mode.Enable it. Set it up to see the main receiver.
That should do it. I can parallel it here if you reach a bottle neck.

It doesn't have to be the same image. Ex. I ran OpenATV on the mio (main receiver) and Vix on the remote. But since Vix is so cool I migrated to the same image on both boxes.

If you use picons. On the remote receiver you may have to FTP or import your channel list from the main receiver. I dunno. It took me a bit to get it all working like a peach. And a peach it is!
But as I mentioned. The main receiver should be in standby mode.
PM sent.