Download faster

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

twstech

Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
It take forever to complete all the download that the receiver have to do. Minimum 20 minute, it hold me up for my next job. Direct don't take that long, only a couple minute. Is it anyway possible to make the download go faster?

I wish they would use the internet to download some of the stuff. I have a 15Mbps downlink that would be faster and more stable. At least the guide over internet would be welcomed. My guide lately has been giving more Incomplete Information, so I do a check switch to get it to reset the guide and download it. That causes 10+ minutes of waiting.

It sure would be great to have an option to receive software updates and guide updates either over the air or via ethernet. I suppose its more trouble than its worth for Dish.

I wish they would use the internet to download some of the stuff. I have a 15Mbps downlink that would be faster and more stable. At least the guide over internet would be welcomed. My guide lately has been giving more Incomplete Information, so I do a check switch to get it to reset the guide and download it. That causes 10+ minutes of waiting.

Use the BBMP function.

Definitely! That would be great.

It sure would be great to have an option to receive software updates and guide updates either over the air or via ethernet. I suppose its more trouble than its worth for Dish.
It's probably not that much trouble. But, it would involve paying engineers and stuff.

Use the BBMP function.
How would that help to download guide info and/or software?

Security could be an issue but you would think it would already be encrypted seeing how they constantly blast it over all their sats 24-7 to everywhere their signal can be picked up in north America
then again it could be a cost thing would the provider sacrifice bandwidth to speed up the download ?
that might cost them a hd channel or two
My idea was to be able to load it (the current software and epg) to and from a thumb-drive that cost 10$
Plug it into usb port and use it to backup the current downloads ect..
I'm not much of a computer geek but wouldn't it load faster from a thumb-drive? and could it be the un-encrypting (so to speak) is what is slowing it down?

Security could be an issue but you would think it would already be encrypted seeing how they constantly blast it over all their sats 24-7 to everywhere their signal can be picked up in north America
then again it could be a cost thing would the provider sacrifice bandwidth to speed up the download ?
that might cost them a hd channel or two
My idea was to be able to load it (the current software and epg) to and from a thumb-drive that cost 10$
Plug it into usb port and use it to backup the current downloads ect..
I'm not much of a computer geek but wouldn't it load faster from a thumb-drive? and could it be the un-encrypting (so to speak) is what is slowing it down?

Downloads come via net not sat.

I'm not talking about movies or any other stream but the electronic program guide (epg) and the current software that runs the receiver.
Those downloads could be copied on to a flash-drive (every night at 3am) that is plugged into the usb port and accessed in the event of reboot ,installition ect...

Software upgrades and EPG come through the satellite stream, otherwise several of my receivers that are neither connected to ethernet nor phone line would never get upgrades.

I don't think Dish would be too pleased if one were able to access their software on a usb drive or similar. It could be easily reverse engineered and messed with, then who gets the blame for the receiver's failure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)