downloading information on voom

theman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
my phone line is not been connected to the voom box.how much does that affect new software download?thanks

it doesnt matter. the phone line doesnt need to be put in to be able to download new software updates.

I guess I'll post here. I just got my box repaced b/c of a dead video out jack. I have had new STB for 4 days, and no software upgrade. My previous box downloaded the most recent update the first night, and I did not have to put it in standby. I have rebooted all the ways you can, left it in standby, left it on, nothing. Trip back is 0. Are they no longer updating?

cyuhnke said:
I guess I'll post here. I just got my box repaced b/c of a dead video out jack. I have had new STB for 4 days, and no software upgrade. My previous box downloaded the most recent update the first night, and I did not have to put it in standby. I have rebooted all the ways you can, left it in standby, left it on, nothing. Trip back is 0. Are they no longer updating?

every day at 4am. Turn off stb.

I got a new box on Saturday, and it updated with the latest version of the software about 12:45-1:00am that very first night. I left it turned off.

sean are you saying do not leave stb on at night? sorry confused ,thanks

When it is first installed it has 7 days to ge the upgrade where it needs to be in the standby mode (antenna light off, but box plugged in). After the first 7 days it can get a push regardless of how whether you are in standby or not. It took me 4 days.

I think what what Sean means is leave it in standby or active. Definitely leave it powered up.

Here is what Peter Rees from VOOM emailed me:

The box in standby has a dark display, no red, no green, no nothing. The system is currently in "opportunity" download status - for the first seven days after activation the box will download new code during some set period during the early morning hours (I think starting around 2am local time). If the box has not taken the code in seven day, it will then be "forced" down, regardless of box state (on/off). We don't do it at time of install because we don't want to bake in the 20-30 minutes to each install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts