DP-4 ON BV 8.5 Solid

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is a DP-4 a Dish Network Dishpro multi-sat LNBF? If this is correct, no, the convergence points for the multiple satellites are designed for the specific Dish Network reflector.

The reflected signals from a Birdview 8.5' reflector would not converge the signals from multiple satellites into the multiple feedhorns. It might be possible to align for more than one satellite, but very unlikely.

Is a DP-4 a Dish Network Dishpro multi-sat LNBF? If this is correct, no, the convergence points for the multiple satellites are designed for the specific Dish Network reflector.

The reflected signals from a Birdview 8.5' reflector would not converge the signals from multiple satellites into the multiple feedhorns. It might be possible to align for more than one satellite, but very unlikely.
No sorry , I'm talking about a Pansat Quad C/KU ortho DP4 Feedhorn

Sorry, been quite a few years since I ran across one of those. Those were not as popular as other models and rarely installed on commercial systems.

You will have slight loss as compared to a Corotor II and lose the ability to optimize the skew. If you need to feed multiple tuners, this would be on par with other othomode type fixed polarity feedhorn designs. Nothing stands out in my memory of these being any better or worse than other brands/models. I would definitely try to use the BV Scalar as it was well matched to the reflector.

Sorry, been quite a few years since I ran across one of those. Those were not as popular as other models and rarely installed on commercial systems.

You will have slight loss as compared to a Corotor II and lose the ability to optimize the skew. If you need to feed multiple tuners, this would be on par with other othomode type fixed polarity feedhorn designs. Nothing stands out in my memory of these being any better or worse than other brands/models. I would definitely try to use the BV Scalar as it was well matched to the reflector.
I will keep my scaler BV factory mod for the Corotor 11 setup. I have a WNC 4x8 installed now DSR922 controls H/H and Servo ,,, just thinking the Ortho C/KU feed would give me more gain. ? Definitly a lot of trouble for no gain. Thanks

Reactions: Titanium
I have two 8.5' solid Birdviews and my experience on C-band is different from Titanium's. The Birdview factory scalar does not end up mounting at the right distance, at least when used with modern feeds, for both orthos and servos. You will get an improvement by removing the hexapod legs and fashioning your own feed legs, which will allow you to use a better matched scalar at the correct focal point and set to the appropriate f/d.

I don't have a DP-4, but I own and have tested other dual orthos, and know someone who is very happy with their DP-4. While corotors are ok, they perform worse than any single or dual ortho feed. I have carefully measured this on every C-band dish I own, and I currently have eight set up, and two others I used in the past. The single orthos (C-band only) are pretty much the gold standard. A dual ortho on C-band is about 0.5 dB worse in CNR than a single ortho, while a corotor is generally more than 1 dB worse. Dual orthos aren't incredible on Ku-band, but as the Birdviews are high f/d dishes, dual orthos work better on them than almost any other prime-focus FTA-level dish. With all the gain of a Birdview, Ku reception is never a problem with a dual ortho, and better than a corotor by a country mile. Also according to my friend, the DP-4 is a better performer on Ku than the Chaparral and ADL dual orthos. In terms of skew adjustment, satellite operators keep their bird polarizations dead on. Once you have an ortho aligned, there is nothing that tweaking skew is going to help.

Reactions: kodaz
Pendragon has done much more testing on these feeds than most of us, so I respect his opinions.

To clarify, adjacent satellite interference and other terrestrial interference can often be minimized, increasing the target Signal Quality, by adjusting the skew. On the fly skew adjustment is lost with ortho feeds.

Never have been a fan of ortho feeds, unless multi-receiver distribution was needed or optimized on a fixed dish for single satellite reception. In my opinion, giving up the skew optimization is not preferred for a hobbyist looking at multiple satellites. Six of one, half dozen of the other... to each his or her own... :)

Pendragon has done much more testing on these feeds than most of us, so I respect his opinions.

To clarify, adjacent satellite interference and other terrestrial interference can often be minimized, increasing the target Signal Quality, by adjusting the skew. On the fly skew adjustment is lost with ortho feeds.

Never have been a fan of ortho feeds, unless multi-receiver distribution was needed or optimized on a fixed dish for single satellite reception. In my opinion, giving up the skew optimization is not preferred for a hobbyist looking at multiple satellites. Six of one, half dozen of the other... to each his or her own... :)
Thanks to both of you for the input, see what happens when the weather warms. .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)