DP 942 L282 Bug Thread

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Please post all bugs found in the new DIsh Network 942 L282 software here in this thread. THe Dish Engineers will be watching this thread and are looking for your feedback.

Thank you!

Let's be positive for a change. This will be the only post to this thread and the update will go smoothly and work perfect!

Tonight I plugged my PocketDISH into my 942 which happened to be recording. The 942 detected the PocketDISH and I went to the PocketDish screen.

I clicked on Manage Device and the 942 froze up, with no video playing.

I unplugged the USB cable from the pocketDish and video appeared in the window, however I can not do anything with the 942 it is frozen up. I am hoping my recording is still recording. I will reboot the 942 after this show is over.

I consider this a bug.

My 942 hasn't downloaded the update yet....

Is that a bug? I even tried to initiate it following the directions from the Dish website.

Try this... (This advice comes from Dish Network)

Press PIP on your remote to open a PIP window.
Press Swap to swap PIP windows.
Press Pip until PIP is off.
Turn off your receiver for 45 minutes.

The software should download now. Sometimes tuner 2 needs to be woke up to take the software. :)

My 942 (L282MEAD) is connected to a DP34 switch with a Dish 500 w/DP Twin and a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5. I have my 942 locked down because I don't want anything worse than "G" available for my son to watch without our supervision. I am in a DMA that currently requires a SuperDish 105 to receive the local SD TV stations, so I do not get any Local program guide information.

My "bug" report is that my Digital OTA stations shows up as "Digital Service NR/AO". Because "NR/AO" is a lot worse than "G", he isn't able to watch our local PBS channel with our involvement. Channel surfing is extemely cumbersome since you have to enter the unlock code each channel change.

The 942 has always had this behavior since day one. My 811 is also locked down, but is usable since it gives the OTA Digitals no rating, therefore there is no challenge when changing to a local channel. I feel the 942 should mimic that behavior instead of labeling OTA broadcasts as "Adult-Oriented".

Audio gaps still present!

I previously reported a problem when there were audio gaps. There would be 7 seconds of audio and then 2 seconds of silence, 7 seconds audio, 2 seconds silence. This is still a problem in 282!

Actually the problem is worse in 282. When I rebooted the receiver with 281 the audio gaps would go away for a bit. Now with 282 the gaps are there immediately. This happens with both live and recorded shows.

I tried a variety of different channels and recordings to better understand what was happening. When I would hear a gap I'd rewind the DVR and play the second again. The gap didn't appear in the same place so I know it wasn't part of the original signal.

After a half hour of testing the gaps seemed to go away. I don't know what special thing I did but the last thing I watched before the gaps went away was to tune to a live HDNet show.

This audio gap bug is a deal breaker for me. If it took Dish 2 months to fix the last version how long will it take to fix this one? I really regret giving Dish a try and this is with less of two weeks of service!

Dish has a 30 days 'Buyer's Remorse' grace period. You should be able to call them up and get everything removed from your property.

gpflepsen said:
Dish has a 30 days 'Buyer's Remorse' grace period. You should be able to call them up and get everything removed from your property.

Wow! That's good to know. Any chance I can get the $250 back on the 942 lease? Guess I better browse the Dish site some more.

This isn't specific to L282, but it has continued to happen.

On the lower left corner of the screen I get random blue text boxes, like the one that notifies you of an impending timer set to fire. Only this blue box is without any text or symbols. I have no impending timers set to fire.

Mine seems fine so far. The audio seems to be working a lot better, PIP is working without losing audio. Lets keep our fingers crossed! :)

PIP it now working fine here, no audio problems with it now. It seems the pixelation problem I was having related primarily to the right side of the screen has been fixed.

Problems still present:

Caller ID still sucks! It doesn't display until after you have answered the call or the machine has picked up(5 rings). I am going to do some testing on this when I get achance, different phone jacks, etc. I am still having intermittent audio dropout on OTA digital channels. Sometimes after a while the audio will start to sputter and then finally quit completely. Changing the channel back and forth fixes it.

Caller ID problem

Please excuse if you already know about this... If you have DSL line try using 2 DSL fiters in series between line jack and and receiver. No guarantee but it has worked for some including me with Verizon DSL (or whatever they are called now).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts