DP 942 L282 Bug Thread

The Caller ID on my 942 did not work when I first got it, then when L229 came down it worked, but when L280/281 came it knocked out the Caller ID, to my knowledge in L282 it still doesn't work *I stay online (dialup) most of the time so I don't get many phone calls*. It's a nice feature but I just wish it would work like it does on my 311.

Scott....One of the bugs that L282 may have fixed is the problem of local OTA channels causing their satellite counterpart to disappear and reappear randomly. So for so good as this has not happened since the update. You didn't list that in your fixes and I was just wondering why? Watch, a minute after I write this the damn Sat local channels will probably start disappearing again.

I was hoping that this update would get the guide data back for the one channel I lost a few updates back (WOR-DT UPN 9 NY). Not only didn't I get this one back, I now lost WCBS-DT NY's guide data too.

DVDDAD said:
I was hoping that this update would get the guide data back for the one channel I lost a few updates back (WOR-DT UPN 9 NY). Not only didn't I get this one back, I now lost WCBS-DT NY's guide data too.

That's weird because I still have CBS-DT guide date. Still no WOR or WNET though. :(

Closed Captioning seems to have stopped working with 942 after 282 came in. I don't get any captions on TV2 composite output, TV1 component output, recorded programs, live SD, or live HD (tried them all). Also tried resetting to the CC defaults but that didn't work. Haven't yet unplugged the receiver, but may try that next. Anyone else with 282 able to get captions to work on the 942?

I've got 282. Never had any problems with my 942 before, so I don't know if this is related to 282 or not. Last night, though, I was getting a lot of blocking on SD channels...all across the board. HD channels were fine. I noticed a few of my SD recordings from late in the week had blocking when I was watching as well.

I watched recordings last night that were made prior to L282 (not that I think that makes any difference) and the pixelating was actually worse than before. My sound issues appear to be gone, but I had a 30-second skip forward freeze last night on "Rome" in HD, which I never had during L281. So far, I'm still not happy. Dish, at some point, it's about the picture quality, okay?

After 280 I lost CC on recorded HD (don't know about SD) Now, after 282 I have CC on those same recorded HD shows.

Don't know if this is a 282 issue or not but I finally got around to watching "Underworld" last night and there were spots when the sound was a mess - like a stuttering, pop-pop-pop kind if thing.

I'd recorded this on the HDD from HBO HD a few weeks ago. The movie wasn't that good and certainly nothing I'd want to archive, so no real loss - this time.

CC is working much better for me although it is not perfect, many words are incomplete but it is much better than the 280 update. It may not seem all that important to most people but I am nearly deaf in my left ear and significant hearing loss in my right ear so if I don't have CC I do not know what they are saying.

Still have lots of pixelization on the sides of the screen. I don't think this problem was addressed in this fix but figured I should still mention it.

So far I believe the rest of the bugs addressed are fixed - I will post if I find a problem. Maybe Dish should send me a pocket dish so I can test its functionality (wife isn't going for it)

282 seems to have solved my optical-audio-out problems, but HDMI still doesn't work. I just read an article that said that the copy protection schemes built into HDMI causes all kinds of compatibility issues. Since I have an off-brand TV, it may ba a problem with the TV, not the 942. But the fact that it ONLY goes black when going from SD to HD or vice-versa (and others have reported the same problem) makes me think the 942 is at least partially to blame.

I messed around with the frame advance and couldn't get it to freeze. Haven't seen any blocking, but maybe I just got used to it. (It's been getting bad in the last week or 2)

I never had any other problems, so other than the HDMI, everything seems perfect.

BTW, I have no real desire to put my photos on it, but I hooked my camera up for kicks last week. The camera knew it was hooked to a USB port, but the 942 said there was nothing there. Have they released any sort of camera compatability list? Mine is a pretty old Fuji.

gutter said:
Scott....One of the bugs that L282 may have fixed is the problem of local OTA channels causing their satellite counterpart to disappear and reappear randomly. So for so good as this has not happened since the update. You didn't list that in your fixes and I was just wondering why? Watch, a minute after I write this the damn Sat local channels will probably start disappearing again.

I knew I spoke to soon. I woke up this morning and any local Sat channel that I scanned in its OTA brother is now gone again. If I delete the scanned in channel the Sat channel will come up and stay. But otherwise it comes and it goes just as before. I can't believe that more have not experieced this problem that DISH TECH has admitted is a bug.

So far I have had no significant problems after L282. I was having many issues on L280/281 with sound and freeze ups. But then many people were saying that L280/281 didn't have negative effects. Why would the same software have differing effects?

I had earlier posted that closed captioning wasn't working. Well, now it is, though like John W. mentioned, it seems to miss a few words here and there. I would expect that on live broadcasts where the cc's are "streaming" (like sporting events), but not on scripted shows. In those cases the cc's come on when I would expect them (i.e. before/during the sentence being spoken on screen), but there are still words missing. I think what irks me about this whole thing is what's going on with the 942 that *it* has to provide the captioning? On all(?) other Dish receivers I've ever had, they were perfectly happy to let the TV's own captioning take care of it. And I never had any problems with dropped words, etc.

All HD receiver outputs have to have CC supplied by the receiver because the sets do not do it. CC for SD outputs is still done by the set.

If you want some weird ones on the 921 (sorry 942 people), sometimes the CC flows into Spanish or is truncated before the first apostrophe. The CC follows the speech by up to 6 sec only on CBS from Albuquerque but is fine on an 811 so blame the 921, I guess. Then again SD West Wing last week started with CC, voice, and picture all on different timing, fixed later, blame station.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts