DP Plus Quad LNB: how add third receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rodideker

Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
I have DP Plus Quad LNB's. I have two dual receivers on there now going through a configuration of diplexers. I want to add a third dual receiver. Dish Network says I need a DP 34 switch. Fine--I guess I'll just have to figure out how to hook it all up. BUT do I also need a couple more diplexers for the new receiver? Where can I get configuration information so I know how to put all the cables into all the little devices?

Is this a DP Quad or a DP Plus Twin ? Dish does not have a DP Plus Quad. You say that diplexers are being used, for what pupose? Is TV 2 being sent over the same incoming coax or are you talking about about the DP separator on the tuner inputs?

You are right. I have a DP Quad. The receivers are DP Plus. anyway, the 4 cables come into the house from the quad. Let me call them A1 and A2 and B1 and B2, since they are paired.

Let me explain the configuration of cables. This is true for Receiver A. Likewise for Receiver B.

A1 goes to the Sat 1 input of the receiver. A2 goes to the SAT connection on diplexer A1.

The VHF/UHF connector on diplexer A1 is connected to television 2.

The input on diplexer A1 goes to the input on diplexer A2. The VHF/UHF of diplexer A2 goes to Channels 31-69 of the receiver.

The SAT connection of diplexer A2 goes to Sat 2 input of the receiver.

The Chennels 3-4 of the receiver goes to television 1.

Now that I am getting a third dual receiver, I need to connect some cables to...somewhere...to get the satellite signals.

I have DP Plus Quad LNB's. I have two dual receivers on there now going through a configuration of diplexers. I want to add a third dual receiver. Dish Network says I need a DP 34 switch. Fine--I guess I'll just have to figure out how to hook it all up. BUT do I also need a couple more diplexers for the new receiver? Where can I get configuration information so I know how to put all the cables into all the little devices?

If it was me that needed a 3'rd dual tuner, here's how I would hook things up. Ports 1 and 4, on the DP quad would go to one dual tuner, and then Ports 2 and 3 would feed your DP34 switch. From the DP34, you can feed the other 2 dual tuners. Sorry for not having a diagram, but I hope my description gives enough information for you to go by.

If it was me that needed a 3'rd dual tuner, here's how I would hook things up. Ports 1 and 4, on the DP quad would go to one dual tuner, and then Ports 2 and 3 would feed your DP34 switch. From the DP34, you can feed the other 2 dual tuners. Sorry for not having a diagram, but I hope my description gives enough information for you to go by.
I thought the pairs were adjacent on the DP Quad. Something like this:

Attachments

• DPQuad.jpg
    DPQuad.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
You can go with ports 1 and 2 to the DP34 and ports 3 and 4 for the dual tuner receiver. I remember having this discussion before and on a Quad you can use any of the ports for 119 and 110 with a switch.

Wow! That kind of answers all the big questions I had! I might get/use somediplexers just to be able to drag one cable between the switch and receiver.

Thank you for your help!!!

Wow! That kind of answers all the big questions I had! I might get/use somediplexers just to be able to drag one cable between the switch and receiver.

Thank you for your help!!!
Diplexors won't work to run one cable from a DP34 switch to a dual-tuner receiver. You'd need to replace the DP34 with a DPP-44 switch if that's a requirement. DP34 isn't Dish Pro Plus, like the DPP-44 is.

This is correct. If you hookup a DP-34 switch you MUST run two lines from it to the receiver. DP34 does NOT work with a seperator. DO not let anyone tell you otherwise though so many seem to think it will work. It will not. DPP Twin and DPP 44 are the only switches that will allow one line cable runs to a receiver with a seperator.

I thought the pairs were adjacent on the DP Quad. Something like this:

When a Quad is hooked into a DP 34 switch, the cable has to be hooked-up to either ports 1 & 4 or ports 2 & 3. I learned this the hard way one day when I was trying to hook up a DP Quad to a 34 switch using ports 1 & 2. The receivers wouldn't not read the switch correctly.

Finally it dawned on me there must be a reason the the DP Twin LNBs are designed with the ports in the 1 & 4 or 2 & 3 positions. So I connected the Quad to the 34 switch through the 1 & 4 ports and the receivers read the switch correctly.

Several weeks later, I came across the manual at the office explaining the reason behind this but I don't have the time to explain it now.

When a Quad is hooked into a DP 34 switch, the cable has to be hooked-up to either ports 1 & 4 or ports 2 & 3. I learned this the hard way one day when I was trying to hook up a DP Quad to a 34 switch using ports 1 & 2. The receivers wouldn't not read the switch correctly.

Finally it dawned on me there must be a reason the the DP Twin LNBs are designed with the ports in the 1 & 4 or 2 & 3 positions. So I connected the Quad to the 34 switch through the 1 & 4 ports and the receivers read the switch correctly.

Several weeks later, I came across the manual at the office explaining the reason behind this but I don't have the time to explain it now.

Thank-you for validating my earlier post, with regards to ports 1 & 4, or 2 & 3 :)

And to the OP, yes you can use diplexers to backfeed your TV2 signal on one of the tuner feeds. Just to ease confusion in my little brain :p , I usually use tuner 1 as my backfeed.

As someone already stated, in the long run you're probably better off using DPP tech...whether its the DPP44 or the long-awaited/rumored DPP33 switch. It's a lot cleaner and more elegant; but a tad pricey. And since you already a DP Quad, a DP34 can be bought for less than $30.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts