DP301 and Phase I dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

natenate360

Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I've seen some great info from these forums.

I'm trying to hookup just my Dish Network receiver (DP301) on an existing satellite dish on the side of my house. After a little research I've found the dish is a DirecTV Phase I dish/LNB. It's got two coaxial connectors coming out of it.

I'm a little bit of a noob when it comes to this...
How should I go about connecting the dish to my receiver? I know I need to re-point the dish, but should I need a switch or anything?

-nate

If you have properly identified the dish as a DirecTV Phase I type, then the two cables/connectors are to allow two receivers to connect to the 101º DirecTV satellite, and that is where it's aimed.
Dish service generally is based on being able to use two birds, at 110º & 119º.

Here is an example of a two-bird LNB, which won't really mount on your dish.
It's part of what is referred to as a "Dish 500" solution.

A now-defunct service called Angel One used their 61º bird only.
I think some folks use their 148º only bird for internationals.
What is your goal? What service do you expect to get?

The above answers are not all-inclusive, so based on your feedback, better suggestions can be provided.
Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

I've seen some great info from these forums.

I'm trying to hookup just my Dish Network receiver (DP301) on an existing satellite dish on the side of my house. After a little research I've found the dish is a DirecTV Phase I dish/LNB. It's got two coaxial connectors coming out of it.

I'm a little bit of a noob when it comes to this...
How should I go about connecting the dish to my receiver? I know I need to re-point the dish, but should I need a switch or anything?

-nate

Nate,

The answer is maybe. The answer depends on the actual LNBF on the Dish. Assuming said Dish has a standard LNBF then it will work with your receiver. If you wish to use this Dish for both DirecTV and Dish at the same time then the answer is a definite NO. If you only wish to receive Dish Network service from this Dish you will have to repoint the Dish to the proper Dish Network orbital slot (119) for Basic Core SD service.

The Problem with said Dish is its a Single orbital slot Dish. Since this is the case you MAY not be able to get all the channels in your particular programing package.

You will likely not be able to get your local Market channels on your 301, unless you were luck enough to have your locals delivered from the 119 orbital slot. If you order any Core programing package other than Top 100 or Top 100 Plus, you may not be able to get some of the channels in those packages. Several Premium channels are not available from 119 either.

Sorry the answer is not more clear, but without more information from you, where you live, and what services you wish to receive then the answer is maybe.

John

my feedback...

So, I live in Nashville, TN. I'm not really expecting to get a LOT out of my dish other than the basics from Dish Network. I already get over-the-air HD broadcasts through my tv tuner and small antenna that satisfies me as far as that goes.

I got my receiver from a fellow freecycler who had some time left on his card, so hopefully nothing illegal there. Once I got that, I immediately immersed myself into this huge world of satellite to see what my options are -- plus trying to learn new vocabulary and whatnot. I'm also toying with the idea of FTA, but I know that would cost some extensive equipment and since I already get HD, my only benefits would be to get the channels I don't already get in HD.

That was a major digression... I guess all I want to do is plug up my satellite to one receiver, point it at one satellite and go from there. I guess with one input, I was confused by the two coaxial cables coming out of it.

Thanks for the quick response!!!

Well,you are probably going to run out of time before you get far, but ...
Here is what is on each Dish satellite.
SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription List Home
Their core bird is 119º, with 110º being secondary.
The receiver may get whatever the guy was subscribed to, for a few days...

And, on 119º, channel 213 (?), you should be able to get NASA, regardless.
Whether that will continue after the subscription times out, I don't know.

It may be possible to subscribe that box to Dish, but it would require that the previous owner release it from his account.
The details go beyond what little I'll say here, but just closing out his account won't do it.

Or, maybe the taste of satellite operation and the exposure to our FTA department (take a peek) may be just enough to get you to join up for real free satellite TV. - :up

Thanks! Actually, I didn't get far =/.... Not sure what I can do now, because all I have is a DirecTV dish on the side of my house and a non-working DishNetwork receiver.

I'm beginning to wonder if my back yard has enough line of sight for a good dish (I wonder how the previous owners used directv), but I'm still stoked about my over-the-air HD channels. and probably wouldn't mind the FTA. -- about how many channels are on FTA anyway?

Any (cheap) ideas?

Hundreds of channels, but none that are what you'd think of as Premium Cable channels.
Here's is another way to list the same info, from a different site.

But, we've strayed a bit off topic.
So, if you are really interested, drop in on the FTA Department, look around and see what newbies are asking about, and test the water.
bait: this network has all these shows available, on a whole bunch of channels, and they don't mind if we watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts