dp301 switch problems i need help

medimusnnauda

Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Hi

Ok here goes, im sattelite unsavy. This is my first time to try to install a sattelite system for myself. I currently have a pro installed dvr system in my home, i want to add a seperate system for another room. I bought a new stand alone system from a reputable sattleite retailer on the internet. Here are my problems. I have a JVC DP301 dish pro reciever, with a new card. A oval dish pro dish with the double lnb for sattelite 110 and 119. First question is do both sides of this lnb have to be hooked up? I get a good signal strength on sat 119 transponder 21, but when i do a check switch, it says no switch detected. Dish Network tells me either my lnb is bad or my box is bad. I work on a towboat so it is kinda hard for a installer to come out to look at it. They also are telling me to take it to a retailer to get them to check the inside unit. I can see channel 101 but nothing else. Does the card have to be activated for the switch to download the card programming? Ive talked to about 10 people at DISH but no one has any knowledge other than what they read off their computer screens. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

110 and 119 should be there in the same cable. A Twin lnb will have both unless you have something else. Here is a picture:

http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/tech/legacytwin.gif

You don't need to be subscribed to see both satellites when you run check switch. Does the other receiver show both satellites?

Try clearing the switch matrix on the 301. Disconnect the satellite feed and run check switch. Connect back the satellite feed and run check switch again.

that is the exact lnb i have except mine is dishpro, but the reciever wil only recognize one sattelite 110 or 119 . 119 from the elft side or 110 from right. wont see both om sameside. illtry unhookin the sat feed and running switch check

Last edited:
Ok im almost positive my problem is my lnbf. Can someone give me a complete list of what i need for the installation form the lnbf to the reciever? dish pro plus twin lnbf, dish 500 oval dish, cable connected to port 1 on lnbf, cable run to single jvc dishpro dp 301 tuner.

unhooking lnb and running switch check then rehjooking and running again did nothing. it recognizes sat 110 and not 119, i switch sides on the lnbf and it sees 119 and not 110, is the switch inside the lnbf faulty?

Sounds like you have a bad LNB. You'll need a Legacy Twin, DP Twin, or DPP Twin. I would go with the DPP Twin to be future proof. You could run a single cable to a dual tuner with a DPP Twin for example.

I don't believe it's the receiver since it can see both 119 and 110. Not at the same time, of course.

did you say that you already have a dish at your house, and its dgoing to a dvr? if thats a dpp twin, then you should only have to plug in your new 301 to your existing system. (or if its a dpquad with open ports) have you tried that?

i do have a dvr at home but this install isnt at home. It is on my boat.
we had the exact same system previously but it belonged to a crewmember who quit and he took it with him. I have a new old stock jvc dp301 reciever never activated, with a new dptwin lnbf. I now can get good signal strength off the 119 and 110 sides with a signal meter. When i hook it up to the 119 side and run check switch inside i get all x's and it does not recognize the switch. all components are dish pro. I also have good signal on the reciever meter for sat 119, when i switch the reciever to 110 it says wrong satellite