DP311 software update question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Auric3

Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Illinois
I currently have Software P439 with a DP311 receiver. A couple of days ago when I turned on the receiver it said a software upgrade is available. I would like to know what it contains before I accept the upgrade.

In particular do you know if it affects the program guide displays or favorites? If so, how?

I'm hesitating to accept the new software because I've heard that some recent software upgrades for some receivers have killed the option to turn off the video inset in guide displays. This reduces the number of lines of programming information greatly. I only have 6 lines of programming info with my DP311 now, which is already marginal, so any reduction would be a serious handicap.

So is that unwanted change included in this software update for the DP311? If so, I will attempt to refuse it forever - which would be a major inconvenience because the message nag about the software upgrade happens every time I turn on my receiver.

Thanks.

I currently have Software P439 with a DP311 receiver. A couple of days ago when I turned on the receiver it said a software upgrade is available. I would like to know what it contains before I accept the upgrade.

In particular do you know if it affects the program guide displays or favorites? If so, how?

I'm hesitating to accept the new software because I've heard that some recent software upgrades for some receivers have killed the option to turn off the video inset in guide displays. This reduces the number of lines of programming information greatly. I only have 6 lines of programming info with my DP311 now, which is already marginal, so any reduction would be a serious handicap.

So is that unwanted change included in this software update for the DP311? If so, I will attempt to refuse it forever - which would be a major inconvenience because the message nag about the software upgrade happens every time I turn on my receiver.

Thanks.
The update for the 311 is just support for channels 4000-4999.

They're only killing off the option to turn off the video on the VIP/HD receivers only...
Thanks for your and Zach's replies. Based on your info and another reassurance elsewhere, I decided to risk the update and can verify that no significant changes were made to my DP311. My program guide and favorites remain the same.

But I'm still curious... Exactly how do you define "VIP/HD" receivers? I have no plans to change receivers now, but will definitely want to avoid all such models in future for so long as this terrible new change is in effect.

All current High Definition receivers are VIP models. As long as you stay with SD receivers you won't have to worry about the VIP software changes but who can tell the future?

The 411 is basically a ViP211 without an Ethernet port so it can get HD and I assume is unaffected by the guide changes. Not sure how easy they are to find though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts