DPP 33 switch passing power?

AnaBot

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Does the DPP33 switch pass power? I hooked up three receivers to it (211k, 211k, 612), hopped up on the roof, only to find that none of the three lines from the DPP33 were passing power! I had to go back down, bypass the switch, then go back up... (I know, I know, I could just pony up for a meter with a battery, but that's besides the point.)

Since this is the first DPP33 install I've done, just wondering if it was a fluke. Also, running a check switch test on the receivers gave really funky results. I just let it take the software download, ran the check switch tests over again, and it was all good.

Edit: I mean, I know it MUST past power to operate the LNBs, but why didn't my meter see any power? My line toner saw no power either.

Prior to a switch test and manually putting receivers on the desired satellite (which you need a properly aligned dish to do), the switch is not going to route any receiver power through to Ports 2 and 3. Those ports require DiSEqC commands to be active and to thus pass power from the receiver. So, the best you could hope for is power through Port 1, which is a port that should require no DiSEqC commands to route signal through. However, I suppose it's possible that the switch wouldn't route anything until a switch test was performed.

Prior to a switch test and manually putting receivers on the desired satellite (which you need a properly aligned dish to do), the switch is not going to route any receiver power through to Ports 2 and 3. Those ports require DiSEqC commands to be active and to thus pass power from the receiver. So, the best you could hope for is power through Port 1, which is a port that should require no DiSEqC commands to route signal through. However, I suppose it's possible that the switch wouldn't route anything until a switch test was performed.

So, if I just hook the receiver to a DPP33 switch that has no satellites attached, then run a check switch on that receiver, it should see that it's a DiSEqC switch and send power through it? Even though it sees no orbital locations?

I doubt it. The reason for the check switch is so that the receiver knows which DiSEqC commands to send to the switch to get the correct satellite such as LNB A for 119, LNB B for 110, etc. However, if you don't have your dish pointed, the receiver won't know which port to use to obtain the satellite you want. All it knows is that there is a switch and that it is connected. So if you choose 110, the receiver won't know to send the LNB B DiSEqC command because it hasn't determined that the 110 is coming in on the 110 port, therefore no power would necessarily be routed to Port 2. Most switches do tend to route Port 1 to the receiver in their default state since no initial DiSEqC command is required for LNB A. That would mean that a receiver should pass power all the way to the dish via Port 1, but that's not a for sure thing.

If you need power at the dish for pointing purposes, just bypass the switch and barrel the receiver line to one of the dish cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts