DPP-44 need AC power?

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
This week a tech replaced my old DPP-44 with a newer type DPP-44 that apparently doesn't need the AC-inserter between the switch and receiver #1.

He claims the new model doesn't need the AC switch. Sure enough I took out the old power inserter and the signal strength did not go down.

But then why is an AC inserter still included in the package?

This week a tech replaced my old DPP-44 with a newer type DPP-44 that apparently doesn't need the AC-inserter between the switch and receiver #1.

He claims the new model doesn't need the AC switch. Sure enough I took out the old power inserter and the signal strength did not go down.

But then why is an AC inserter still included in the package?
I am hoping one of our tech's can confirm this, as I am still showing that a Power Inserter is required on Port 1 of each DPP44 switch.

It has been an ongoing "discussion" here. I have the opinion that it is there for a reason and helps supply power to the system. I have replaced many receivers due to power failure on dpp44 systems that didn't have a power inserter involved. IMO I would want it if it were my system.

A DPP-44 can run w/o the power inserter off the receivers power supply. Only thing is it will shorten the life of that unit by pulling more amperage from it than it should. Overheating of the power supply could also cause it to go down sooner as well. Keep the power inserter in line and be on the safe side.

HIFI said:
It has been an ongoing "discussion" here. I have the opinion that it is there for a reason and helps supply power to the system. I have replaced many receivers due to power failure on dpp44 systems that didn't have a power inserter involved. IMO I would want it if it were my system.

I'm onboard. Got a newer style one at my place, I for sure hooked it up here, and every one I install. There is a reason it is NOT included with a dpp33, it does NOT need one.

I believe the DPP44 requires ~17.4 volts to run correctly (at least for the old ones). The receiver itself only puts out ~18.1 volts. The power inserter ensures that sufficient power is provided over longer cable runs, but the receiver can run it on a short enough cable run.

The newer DPP44 with the UL Listed logo can double as a ground block while the older one as well as most other external switches can't. If the PS is still included it's presumably because the system is designed to work best with it.

The newer DPP44 with the UL Listed logo can double as a ground block while the older one as well as most other external switches can't. If the PS is still included it's presumably because the system is designed to work best with it.
Either of the gray model DPP44's can be used as a ground block, it is only the light silver ones that can not.

FYI the installers switched out both of the old gray metal model with the light silver DPP-44 model two separate times....since I have more than 4 receivers in the house.

The first guy just left the same power inserter of the old model in place (without giving me the new power inserter).. the 2nd guy told me just to take it out (though he did leave the new one in the package for me my per request).

Does the new light silver model uses the same EXACT power inserter?

So we still don't have consensus? All of my receivers are DVR's.. I don't want either the switches or the hard drive/receivers have shortened life.

The power inserter is there for a reason, use it. There is no difference between power inserters from one 44 switch to another.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am a DNS tech.. Yes the new ones still need the power supply.. Yes the power supply is the same has the old ones.. It will work for a period of time with out it.. But either the receiver or the switch will go bad sooner or later.. I can't tell you how many receivers or switches I have replaced because of some techs that think they are not needed.. I wish I new who started the rumor that they are not needed any more. I replaced one 44 switch that had been running for 4 years with out a power supply.. It is not a matter of if it will go bad.. But when.. And it is usually when you want to watch something really bad.. Like the super bowl...LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)