DPP Separators Bad

Swoop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Okay so I have a little dilemma going. Just got a 722 receiver, this now gives me 4 receivers all dual tuner all being fed from a DP44 Switch using DPP Separators. Everything has been working fine. I got the new 722 a couple days ago and hooked it up, activated it and added HD to my programming, everything worked great the first night, then last night when I went to watch the 722 it said there was a problem with my switch. I did a check switch on the 722 and it kept coming back with errors and was not able to detect the DP44.

In the meantime my other 3 receivers contiued to function as normal with gread reception on all of them, so it definetly wasen't my switch. I had 2 extra DPP Separators so I proceeded to try each of those on the 722 and encounterd the same problems with all 3 separators. I then hooked up the 722 without the separator using 2 runs of cable from the 44 switch to Sat 1 and Sat 2, reran check switch and perfect, no errors, detected the switch and everything runs perfect.

My questions are, is it likely that 3 brand new DPP separators that I tried are all bad? At this point should I just buy another DP44 Switch and cascade it off the first one and run two runs of cable to the 722? Anyone have any ideas why individual cable runs work perfect but yet it won't work with a Separator. Also why would the 722 work fine the first night with a Separator then stop working with one?

Sorry for the wall of text, anyhelp would be appreciated.

have you tried swapping ports on switch with working receiver and just swap with working separator of of working receiver? i think the stinger is to short at switch thats why you having problems

I haven't tried using one of the separators that are working fine now, I'm almost scared too, lol. As for the stingers, I don't think that is the problem. The reason I say this is that the cable that I ran to the 722 with the separators is one of the cables I used when I ran two cables to the 722 and it worked fine, if the stinger was too short it wouldn't have worked right? Also the ports on the DP44 are fine.

Oh forgot to mention and this is the only other thing I can think of, the cable run to the 722 is one where I put my own compression ends on it. FOr whatever reason, maybe I didn;t cut it far enough back, I couldn't get the white insulator that surrounds the wire flush where it is supposed to be in the connector (sorry I don''t know all the technical terms), could that be the problem? But the wire itself is long enough to make contact inside the ports.

i would say replace connections and try to get the foam flush with the inside of the end and also live a nickle size stinger it should be 3-4 millimeter

My questions are, is it likely that 3 brand new DPP separators that I tried are all bad?

Not likely but possible particularly if there was a bad production run. I have had one DPP seperator fail. Fortunately I had 2 extras from when a replaced my 921's with ViP622's.

But first check out the wires and in particular the length of the wire stingers.

Okay so I changed the ends, making sure to have the whit insulator flush where it should be and adding a little lenght to the stinger to be on the safe side and presto, working fine with a Separator as of right now. Thanks for the tips guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)