DPP44 Installation Help Please !!!

SouthRider

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Covington, La
My 942 installation has taken from August until October, and still isn't finished. I won't go into ALL of the gory details, but they have now been to my home 6 times, and I just won't have them back again.

The last guy they sent was scared of heights, so I went on the roof (single story 4/12 pitch) to reposition my D500, and let him install the switch. He also kept insisting to use the wrong side of the LNB, and we couldn't get a signal for 2 hours until I finally talked him into letting me try the other side of the LNB.

I thought that everything was finally OK after the last visit (to bury the cable & get better signal from the Superdish in the yard), but over time I started losing my locals randomly, and without warning, sometimes one TV would go out when I started using the other.

A call to customer service deduced that there was no power inserter installed for my DPP44 switch. I refused to let them come again, and after consultation with the Executive Office they have now shipped me one which I am going to install myself.

First - I have a 942 with a Superdish in the yard (for 110, 119, & 121), and a Dish 500 on the house (for Voom @ 61.5). there is a DPP44 installed on the exterior wall of the home.

The D500 coax is going into port 3 of the DPP44, with ports 1,2, & 4 coming from the Superdish. The 2 lines out go into the home, where they go through a surge protector, and then to my receiver. The check switch verifies - port 1 (119), port 2 (110), port 3 (61.5), and port 4 (121).

I now have the switch, and need some guidance about installation. I understand it needs to go into port 1 of the switch.

1) Does it matter WHERE it's inserted into the port 1 line? Do you have recommendations? Outside would be difficult to get power to the inserter, prefer in the house.

2) Is there a quick & easy way to determine which line to the receiver IS the port 1 line?

3) Do you have any other advice or guidance concerning my setup?

I'm quite capable of home construction, wiring, etc., and have done my own home theater setup and wiring, but have little in depth knowledge of satellite installs & equipment.

I wanted to let the "experts" do it, but in this case Dishes contractor "Express Marketing", is either incapable or unwilling to get this job done properly. They are so busy doing new installs of unhappy cable customers in the Hurricane Katrina area that they appear to be hiring people off of the street to do their work.

The guy who was afraid of climbing a ladder was a really nice guy, but he was a heavy equipment operator from Chicago who told me he was here in Louisiana doing satellite installs because he could do 7 per day at $100 each. He didn't really have a clue what he was doing, and kept calling for help, which also kept turning out to be wrong info. The previous installer was a college student from Atlanta doing the same thing.

Thanx in advance for your kind replies.

Well to answer question #2, Is there a quick & easy way to determine which line to the receiver IS the port 1 line?

Disconnect the line from port #1 of the switch, then check your receivers to find the one with no signal, that would be the receiver on port 1

SouthRider said:
My 942 installation has taken from August until October, and still isn't finished. I won't go into ALL of the gory details, but they have now been to my home 6 times, and I just won't have them back again.

The last guy they sent was scared of heights, so I went on the roof (single story 4/12 pitch) to reposition my D500, and let him install the switch. He also kept insisting to use the wrong side of the LNB, and we couldn't get a signal for 2 hours until I finally talked him into letting me try the other side of the LNB.

I thought that everything was finally OK after the last visit (to bury the cable & get better signal from the Superdish in the yard), but over time I started losing my locals randomly, and without warning, sometimes one TV would go out when I started using the other.

A call to customer service deduced that there was no power inserter installed for my DPP44 switch. I refused to let them come again, and after consultation with the Executive Office they have now shipped me one which I am going to install myself.

First - I have a 942 with a Superdish in the yard (for 110, 119, & 121), and a Dish 500 on the house (for Voom @ 61.5). there is a DPP44 installed on the exterior wall of the home.

The D500 coax is going into port 3 of the DPP44, with ports 1,2, & 4 coming from the Superdish. The 2 lines out go into the home, where they go through a surge protector, and then to my receiver. The check switch verifies - port 1 (119), port 2 (110), port 3 (61.5), and port 4 (121).

I now have the switch, and need some guidance about installation. I understand it needs to go into port 1 of the switch.

1) Does it matter WHERE it's inserted into the port 1 line? Do you have recommendations? Outside would be difficult to get power to the inserter, prefer in the house.

2) Is there a quick & easy way to determine which line to the receiver IS the port 1 line?

3) Do you have any other advice or guidance concerning my setup?

I'm quite capable of home construction, wiring, etc., and have done my own home theater setup and wiring, but have little in depth knowledge of satellite installs & equipment.

I wanted to let the "experts" do it, but in this case Dishes contractor "Express Marketing", is either incapable or unwilling to get this job done properly. They are so busy doing new installs of unhappy cable customers in the Hurricane Katrina area that they appear to be hiring people off of the street to do their work.

The guy who was afraid of climbing a ladder was a really nice guy, but he was a heavy equipment operator from Chicago who told me he was here in Louisiana doing satellite installs because he could do 7 per day at $100 each. He didn't really have a clue what he was doing, and kept calling for help, which also kept turning out to be wrong info. The previous installer was a college student from Atlanta doing the same thing.

Thanx in advance for your kind replies.

amazing what happens in times of crisis..unqualified workers seem to come out the seams in the hardwood floors like ooze in a horror flick.. Tech afraid of heights?..Please......If this guy is doing 7 per day he is not doing his work to specifications and it's probabaly very sloppy work as well..or he is working 15 hours a day..in any case the customer should never have to lift a finger on an install..I have seen many instances on thios board where customers have satted they had to help with installs..That's horrible...
Anyway, the power inserter goes to port number one...If 7 you are using aseperator at your dual tuner don't worry about it....The inserter goes betwen the wall plate or floor penetration and the receiver...If no seperator is used then put the power inserter on sat input one of the dual tuner....The 121 sat should be on prot number 4 of the DPP 44 switch..DO NOT run the coax through the surge protector unles you are certain the unit is satellite campatible! This may be what the problem is..Are you having sig probs with all recivers or just the one?

The surge protector is a monster home theater surge protector with line conditioners & filters - the one that retails for about $150-$180.

I'm not using a seperator - just one receiver. Both leads coming from the switch go into the surge protector - then straight into the 942. No wall plate connection - I came straight through a hole in the plate to the surge protector.

So basically you're telling me that I can just go between the surge protector and Sat 1 input on the 942... and possibly if I'm still having problems take the surge protector out of the connection?

The only problem I am having is occasionally I lose locals on either TV1, TV2, or both - AND the check switch stays ok even when the locals disappear.

Thanx for your help!

SouthRider said:
The surge protector is a monster home theater surge protector with line conditioners & filters - the one that retails for about $150-$180.

I'm not using a seperator - just one receiver. Both leads coming from the switch go into the surge protector - then straight into the 942. No wall plate connection - I came straight through a hole in the plate to the surge protector.

So basically you're telling me that I can just go between the surge protector and Sat 1 input on the 942... and possibly if I'm still having problems take the surge protector out of the connection?

The only problem I am having is occasionally I lose locals on either TV1, TV2, or both - AND the check switch stays ok even when the locals disappear.

Thanx for your help!
try it without the surge protector and see what happens...Surge protecting the coax doesn't do a heck of alot..Your dish should be grounded to alleviate static discharge.Th epower is grounded by the electrical connn to the surge protector.Therefore the only reason to protect the coax is to stop a surge from a lightening strike..And nothing man made can do that.....
Anyway, try it w/o the surge and post back....one more thing, you are using BOTH tuners on your 942 ,correct?

SouthRider said:
I'm not using a seperator - just one receiver. Both leads coming from the switch go into the sure protector - then straight into the 942. No wall plate connection - I came straight through a hole in the plate to the surge protector.

Thanx for your help!
Sorry im confused. A 942 has a sat 1 AND a sat 2 connector. you need both connected for the 942 to function properly. For example when i had it set up like that it wouldnt record anything, by default it tries record from sat connection 2.

If you do you should be using the seperator, as that will split the one cable into 2, one for each sat input. then you will get the full use of the 942.
Jeff

gbjbany said:
Sorry im confused. A 942 has a sat 1 AND a sat 2 connector. you need both connected for the 942 to function properly. For example when i had it set up like that it wouldnt record anything, by default it tries record from sat connection 2.

If you do you should be using the seperator, as that will split the one cable into 2, one for each sat input. then you will get the full use of the 942.
Jeff
A 942 is a dual tuner receiver....each tuner(sat1 and sat2) must be connected via an individual cable or a seperator on one cable which splits it into two cables..one to each sat input..

Last edited:
Thanx guys - it was too late last night to go tearing the whole TV cabinet apart to get this thing installed - I'll try it in the next day or so & post my results back.

Yes - I am using the 942 in DUAL mode with TV2 modulated & then distributed to the rest of the house (only 2 of us so we don't need add'l receivers).

Also: Jeff - it appears that the seperator is only needed when there is only ONE run of coax into the home from the switch. I am using TWO home runs from the switch to the 942, thus my quandary of how to decide which one feeds the 1st port on the switch. I'm going to disconnect it at the switch & then run a check switch to see which ones die, then reconnect, and do the whole thing over again after disconnecting one at the receiver.

Last edited:
If you have a separator, you could go ahead and connect it to one of your incoming feeds and to the two inputs on the receiver. Run check switch and make sure it works. Then go and unplug the output from the switch that is NOT on port 1 and see if your reception dies. If not, your receiver is already on port 1, otherwise, swap the wire that's going into the separator and make sure the signal returns.

Then put the power inserter between the separator and the wall. If you wish at that point, you could remove the separator and use both feeds, connecting the second back to the switch, or just leave it as is and you have a second feed available for future use.

SouthRider said:
Also: Jeff - it appears that the seperator is only needed when there is only ONE run of coax into the home from the switch. I am using TWO home runs from the switch to the 942, thus my quandary of how to decide which one feeds the 1st port on the switch. I'm going to disconnect it at the switch & then run a check switch to see which ones die, then reconnect, and do the whole thing over again after disconnecting one at the receiver.
Thanks for the clarification so you now only need to insert it on the actual cable coming from port 1 of the dpp44. Whichever that is

dishcomm said:
A 942 is a dual tuner receiver....each tuner(sat1 and sat2) must be connected via an individual cable or a seperator on one cable which splits it into two cables..one to each sat input..
I understand that part as i am a 942 owner. I was confused because he indicated no seperator and only one cable. He has since clarified. thanks anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)