DPP44 Trouble Shooting Help

tdmontg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Alabama
I have a question about troubleshooting my Dish 500 system.
Equipment:
3 625 DVR's
1 322 Receiver
1 DPP44 switch

Last week I started getting signal and scrambled pixels. I called tech support and he said I must have a technician come out for service call. That would actually be fine except the 1st available service call is in a week.

I get "the satellite signal has been lost" error on my screen and also get "check the switch" errors. At times, the switch checks fine and some times it shows input 1 bad.

I called and spoke with another tech and he said it could be a dish pointing issue.

I checked the dish and was able to get the following strengths:
110 on TP 11 78
119 on TP 11 76
This tells me the signal is being received by the dish so I can rule it out. But I will say that sometimes, I get no signal at all on any satellites.

Next, this house is new and when built, the contractor had all rooms pre-wired and the cables pulled to one entry point on the exterior of the house. When the sat system was intalled, the DPP44 and diplexers were mounted on the outside wall where the cables enter the house. It looks like the diplexers are very rust and since no two are the same brand, I think the installer used sub standard, possible indoor switches. I got 4 new ones approved for outside use. Problem persistes.

Now, how would I test the DPP44 switch? Do I need to just get Dish Techs out here? I was able to get a loss of use credit, but I want to watch TV un-interrupted!!!

Please help.

Is this affecting all 8 tuners or is it just 1 receiver? From the way you have worded the question it looks like 1 receiver only.

If its affecting just one reciever you need to find out which line that reciever is on the switch. Once you do that, switch that line over to a different port on the switch and see if it works, if it does, bad switch if it doesnt, something in the line from the switch to the reciever. Also, you said all the diplexers outside were rusted...how about the connectors, any corrosion or water damage in the line itself?

I should have been more specific. The problem is present on all receivers but is intermittant. I've called non-tech support a few times now hoping to get someone who speaks english or at least has a clue. At this point, I know more than they do and I don;t know much.

Are there any obstructions near such as trees that might kill the signal in adverse weather? Also, are the lines RG6 or RG59? Also, walk the line and check for any barrels (connectors that...connect two lines together to make it longer), if you find any unscrew them and check for any kind of damage and also check the color of the barrel...if its white it needs to be replaced with a blue one. White barrels can cause intermittant signal loss. Check all exterior connectors for rust or corrosion.

Sounds like the power inserter might be cutting out on you. You also need 2 amp rated diplexers for the line connected to port 1 for the power inserter. If you don't, then you might try connecting the power inserter near the switch. Be careful as its only indoor rated.

I've checcked the two barrell connectors and both are blue. The cable is RG6 high performance 3 ghz.

I checked all exterior connectors for corrosion. I found the diplexors to be corroded and replaced all 4.

No trees, just wide open sky.

How do I check for LNB Drift?

If he was getting LNB drift he would only be experiancing it on certain channels....the chances of all the LNBs developing drift at the same time would be an extrordinary coincidence.

2 questions. How many sat locations do you have? Just 119 and 110? If so, and you can see the dish, what kind of LNBF is on the dish? Is it a twin or two duals? Two duals is te ideal configuration. A DP Twin, will work, but has a higher failure rate. using a DPP twin with a 44 switch is asking for trouble.

I'm only receiving two sats currently (110,119). I wasn't sure what LNBF I had so I google dual LNBF images and the dual is what mine looks like.

When the system is working, I'm getting a good signal strength, but just like that, it goes to zero. Also, I get the message to check my switch pretty frequently.

Maybe the power inserter is going bad????

I've ordered a new DPP44 switch and will install this weekend. Is there any reason it cannot be mounted outside on the brick? Is the attic better and does heat affect it????

There is no amp rating on the diplexer. They are Holland STVC "Built for high performance for satellite TV applications ". I assume they meet the standards. I purchased them from an authorized DIsh Dealer.

There is no amp rating on the diplexer. They are Holland STVC "Built for high performance for satellite TV applications ". I assume they meet the standards. I purchased them from an authorized DIsh Dealer.
diplex1.jpg

Is this your diplexer. If so, you are ok in that regards. Notice where it says on the right "28VDC 2A Max", the 2A means 2 amps. A is the accepted abbreviation of the word "amp" in the electrical industry.

Stupid question, but have you reset the DPP-44? You do this by unplgging the receiver on port 1 and then unplugging the power inserter. Re-plugin the power inserter after waiting a few seconds. Wait a few more seconds and then plug in the receiver.

This has fixed similar problems I've had after a power outage. I think that sometimes when the power comes back on the DPP-44 just doesn't power up right.

Stupid question, but have you reset the DPP-44? You do this by unplgging the receiver on port 1 and then unplugging the power inserter. Re-plugin the power inserter after waiting a few seconds. Wait a few more seconds and then plug in the receiver.

This has fixed similar problems I've had after a power outage. I think that sometimes when the power comes back on the DPP-44 just doesn't power up right.

Good advice. On a more thorough note, I would suggest unplugging all receivers to ensure no voltage is getting to the DPP44.

Ok,

I reset the DPP44. I disconnected all cables (much easier than getting to plugs on receivers). I also noticed there was no ground. I added one.

The diplexer I have looks like this:

It does not have a rating on it. I purchased form a Satelite Store so I assumed it was within specs.

Since the signal comes and goes, I will watch tonight and see what happens.

I will re-post soon.

Since the signal comes and goes, I will watch tonight and see what happens.
If the diplexers were a problem, you might be feeling some heat on the output 1 diplexer.

You could also temporarily replace the output 1 diplexer with a barrel to test whether the diplexer is choking you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)