Drop HD Ultimate and get a Premium channel pack?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jolard

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Ok, so I currently have HD Ultimate on top of my top 200. Now that all the Voom channels are gone, the only reason to keep the Ultimate pack now (for me) is the movie channels, MGM HD, Universal HD, and especially HDNET Movies. I don't really care for the handful of other channels on that now anemic tier.

So I was thinking, drop down to HD Essentials, save $10, and put that $10 towards Cinemax, Showtime or HBO? That was I still have my movie channels in HD, but they will be better movies and more current, and I will only be paying $3 to $5 more than I am paying now?

Any downside? I just don't see paying $120 a year for those few channels in the Ultimate Tier.

The only other concern I have, is I would bet that they will be adding any new national channels to the ultimate tier, they will have to to provide value. So I am concerned that i will end up wanting to add it again. But right now it just doesn't seem worth $120 a year.

Ok, so I currently have HD Ultimate on top of my top 200. Now that all the Voom channels are gone, the only reason to keep the Ultimate pack now (for me) is the movie channels, MGM HD, Universal HD, and especially HDNET Movies. I don't really care for the handful of other channels on that now anemic tier.

So I was thinking, drop down to HD Essentials, save $10, and put that $10 towards Cinemax, Showtime or HBO? That was I still have my movie channels in HD, but they will be better movies and more current, and I will only be paying $3 to $5 more than I am paying now?

Any downside? I just don't see paying $120 a year for those few channels in the Ultimate Tier.

The only other concern I have, is I would bet that they will be adding any new national channels to the ultimate tier, they will have to to provide value. So I am concerned that i will end up wanting to add it again. But right now it just doesn't seem worth $120 a year.
I think they will only add HD-only channels to HD Ultimate (channels w/o and SD version). They'll add HD channels that have an SD version to the AT package that the SD channel is in. Also, have you looked at the dishHD (Only) package? It's only $35 including locals + DVR/receiver fees. I was paying $130, and now I'm paying $80. I've been on it since February, and and doing just fine with it, since I'm, apparently, an HD snob, and don't like to watch SD channels anymore. (link below) If you dont mind paperless billing and credit card autopay, you can get Cinemax for 1c per year, renewable @ 1c per year till Jan or Feb 2010. (I Just did that yesterday). I also added Starz to the HBO and Sho that I already had. No real downside.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/programming/index3.shtml

I thought about the HD Only tier. Honestly if it was just me, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. The only channel I would miss is Comedy Central. Everything else I watch is in HD.

The problem is my kids. They have a large number of Nick shows they love, and those would all be gone. Now if Comedy Central and Nickelodeon both went HD..... I would be there in a heartbeat.

I thought about the HD Only tier. Honestly if it was just me, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. The only channel I would miss is Comedy Central. Everything else I watch is in HD.

The problem is my kids. They have a large number of Nick shows they love, and those would all be gone. Now if Comedy Central and Nickelodeon both went HD..... I would be there in a heartbeat.

Hey be glad you're not in my situation. My father moved in with me after losing his house (long story there) and agreed to go 50/50 on the sat bill. Well he only watched Turner Classics, AMC, and the Golf Channel on his 10 year old Sony Trinitron (damn those sets last long!)! Fat chance them going on HD with E*! :rolleyes:

A few months back I dropped HD Ultimate and went from AT200 to AT250....I'm very happy with the choice. NAT-GEO HD is a great channel.

A few months back I dropped HD Ultimate and went from AT200 to AT250....I'm very happy with the choice. NAT-GEO HD is a great channel.

I did this yesterday. My bill will stay the same and now I have the Encore channels that come in the 250 pack. Also, if you're not bundled through your phone company you can get the Cinemax package for $.01/year if you do auto-pay and paperless billing.

Yes ,Now that they added real Nework programming to the HD only Pack I couldn't be happier. I have HD only, With DVR in 2 rooms, with Superstation pack, HBO,Cinemax,Starz and Showtime. All for $85 per month. On my D* I Have Now only Choice package with HD access and DVR $75 per month for 2 rooms. If I add HBO to that it would be $89 per month. Just remember HD only pack doesn't have RSN's available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)