Drop-in ads create frustration

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Far too often, when skipping through the drop in ads, watching either from the hopper 3 unit or the Joey's, the system will sometimes present a black screen nothing happens and I'll have to either change the channel or even be forced to do a reboot. This happens on DVR playback but is even more frustrating when it happens on live television, and if the only solution is a reboot, then it will interrupt current recordings, but then I can't tune to another channel to do anything unless I do that reboot during recordings even. sometimes this problem solves itself after several seconds, and sometimes I have no other way to fix it but Performing a ReBoot.

have others experienced this or similar frustrations with dish dropping local/targrted commercials?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Far too often, when skipping through the drop in ads, watching either from the hopper 3 unit or the Joey's, the system will sometimes present a black screen nothing happens and I'll have to either change the channel or even be forced to do a reboot. This happens on DVR playback but is even more frustrating when it happens on live television, and if the only solution is a reboot, then it will interrupt current recordings, but then I can't tune to another channel to do anything unless I do that reboot during recordings even. sometimes this problem solves itself after several seconds, and sometimes I have no other way to fix it but Performing a ReBoot.

have others experienced this or similar frustrations with dish dropping local/targrted commercials?
Yes, I have experienced the same thing.

Not that behavior in particular. In previous threads I have complained about the inserted ads playing over actual content, but they seem to have fixed that.

Not that behavior in particular. In previous threads I have complained about the inserted ads playing over actual content, but they seem to have fixed that.
Yeah, that was a big pain, too, but, I would say that it happens much less, but still happens on occasion, and as recently as a few days ago, bit it still happens. Sometimes, the fix is to skip back or RW back so as to force the ORIGINAL streamed live data/content, which does not overlap the program, but even that workaround won't always work.

I just really resent having to deal with a black screen and unresponsive DVR just for stupid drop-in commercials. I just DREAD it when I see the drop-in. If Dish could just get it work well, I wouldn't care if the commercials were drop-in or not.

FWIW: It may seem fixed to me as I haven't been watching as much "cable" TV as I did before I downgraded to the Flex pack. When I was on the AT120, I would watch more content from channels such as AXS, which seemed to suffer a lot from the Dish ad insertion.

This is what I do; Dish has yet to show me a complete political ad yet :biggrin
And now the ads are over running the programming now more than ever! I go back and try to pick up from the the original stream to see the programming segment from the beginning. This is NOT the way things should be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)