Dropped Dish Network last month, can anything be reused for FTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
We dropped DishNetwork a month or so ago, but I'd like to see if I can reuse anything from the Dish setup for FTA. Seems like I remember reading the LNB used by Dish Network won't work for FTA and possibly neither can the dish itself, but can I reuse the mounting brackets they installed on the house along with the coax? I'd hope that a 36" GEOSATpro dish or similar would be supported about the same as the dish that's up there now, but I wasn't sure.

Also when we were on Dish we used 110°W, 119°W, and 129°W satellites, so since I'd really like to connect to AMC21 at 125°W I assume the direction the dish is mounted now would still be sufficient. I live in Central Texas if that makes any difference. Also since I never had any problems connecting to the Dish satellites does this mean I'll equally have no problems connecting to AMC21? I don't have any trees or other obstructions in that direction from my house, so just curious.

As for receivers I read there'll be a new MicroHD out soon, so should I hold off for that to come out? And if so will that be sufficient to get everything on the AMC21 satellite including the HD channels? The PBS channels are really all I'm going after, so as long as I can get the dozen or so channels on AMC21 that'll make my day :) Also a friend of mine who did FTA years ago mentioned that Galaxy 18 (123°W) and SAS1 (101°W) were worth getting too, though I don't see much on either now. If I were to get two or three LNB's given these satellites are close enough to AMC21 would it be feasible to connect to all of them using the same dish? Not to dissimilar to what the DishNetwork setup did with 110°W, 119°W, and 129°W? And if so how complicated of a setup is that?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for any feedback or suggestions. I've been following this forum for years, but maybe this'll be the year I finally jump into FTA!

Sam

If its in good shape, the coax should be dandy.
Just inspect it along the path, and look out for any hidden switches.
There should be drip-loops on any outdoor ground blocks.

We should see a picture to be sure, but the existing pole/bracket on the house might be fine.
Your 36" dish does present a bigger wind load, and might benefit from an additional bracing strut.
If the original installer did a half-assed job, we'll tell you to re-do it right. :)

123 is pretty close to 125, so that could be a problem.
101 is pretty far from 125, so I wouldn't put any money on that plan.
This may seem to contradict DishNet bird spacing, but their satellites put out a lot stronger signal, destined for home reception.

We have been advised of a new receiver from SatelliteAV, but the FTAer version has no delivery date nor price.
While I would like to think roll-out will go smoothly, if you are interested in FTA now, I'd suggest ya get the well-debugged existing model.
One less thing to be concerned with.

Measure and post a picture of your old dish.
We might come up with some tests you could try with it after you're up 'n running.
I'd order several spare PLL LNBFs with your microHD, too.
And read up on the Switches Simplified thread in our FAQ department. ;)

Yes go with a receiver that is out now. The microHD is tested and a true performer. The new receiver from GEOSATpro, does not have an official release date yet.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies... it's been raining so I haven't been able to take any pictures of our Dish setup. We had it installed about 2.5 years ago (house is only three years old), so I'd hope the coax and everything else is still sound. But I'll try to snap some pictures in the next few days to post.

Thanks again.

Sam

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts